Pecan Lakes nearing the end?

3,691 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Ezra Brooks
Joe Nobody
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dead skunk on 1st tee box, fire ants everywhere, weeds so bad you lose balls just off the fairway, greens not being taken care of. Looks like it may not be around much longer.
cab595
Loved this place at the end of my time in aggieland. It was great 2003-2005.
The Milkman
AG
Experienced some of the worst wind is ever played in out there. Fun rounds
Matsui
AG
Totally agree on some of the most brutal winds I've ever seen on a course. Played a lot their while in school 2002-2003
AustinCountyAg
quote:
Dead skunk on 1st tee box, fire ants everywhere, weeds so bad you lose balls just off the fairway, greens not being taken care of. Looks like it may not be around much longer.

Please no. I love that course. I usually played it ten or so times a year. It's been great every time I've been out there this year so far? Last time being in August? Hopefully their grounds man has been on vacation
JYDog90
AG
Did this used to be Bluebonnet?
birdman
Bluebonnet was near Plantersville, about 10 miles east of Navasota. Pecan is in Navasota.
FTAco07
AG
I shot my best ever round there in 2008
Joe Nobody
Since the Great Recession hit in 2008 play really dropped off at PL. For the first 10 years, there was a PGA pro there. Now there is an old lady smoking a cigarette taking your green fee. I think I heard the owner recently had some health issues.

I have posted probably my top 50 scores all time at this course. The best being 69 back in the early 2000s (not from the tips). I have always enjoyed this course. So true about the wind. Hopefully, they turn it around but the course is just not getting enough play. Outlook is grim.
agfan2013
AG
Played a lot the first few years in college but stopped going regularly around 2012 or so. They upped their rates and went down on the service. It was usually just one person who took tee times, checked you in, ran the grill, etc. and the course condition got progressively worse as time went on. Haven't been out there in a couple of years and don't really plan on returning.
Joe Nobody
My son and I played at Pecan Lakes on Saturday. I am happy to report the course was cleaned up and the greens were looking lots better.
TheGreatScott12
AG
Loved this course during my college years. It was my favorite of the courses I could afford on a college student budget. My senior year, 2012, it definitely was on the decline. They quit taking care of the greens. Such a fun layout though. Hate to hear its going.
AgDotCom
I've played there a few times over the years and liked it, hope it stays open.

The irony, though, is it was touted as a Bryan Muni killer back in the day...looks like ol Muni may outlast it.
AustinCountyAg
I plan on playing pecan lakes one day this week. I've always loved the course
mt3950
AG
Only because of the location.
aggieaviator
AG
My dad and I played a lot of golf there 2007-2009. This was the twilight of his playing days due to his health. Lots of great memories at PL. Hope it bounces back. Good course for the $.
AustinCountyAg
Played yesterday. Course was in decent shape, not the best I've seen it though. Shot an 86. It's all good
Golf Nut 04
AG
Used to play there alot in college. I think it was Tuesday's where you could play all day for the price of one round.
TheGreatScott12
AG
Definitely took advantage of the all day green fee when I was in school
CrawfordAg
AG
I played Pecan Lakes as much as I did our campus course. It is a shame that it has went downhill quite a bit.

Campus Course, Pecan Lakes, Bryan Muni. Bluebonnet & Pine Forest were the courses I played the most while on a college budget in that order. Does anyone know if Bluebonnet or Pine Forest is still around?
Bunk Moreland
bluebonnet for sure is not. Closed a few years back. In its final year, they were doing crazy cheap prices, so a buddy who doesn't play often wanted to get out and play. I figured this was the perfect course for him. Hadn't been there in years. When we drove out there, we literally did a circle in the parking lot and took off for Pecan Lakes. It was in awful shape. I wouldn't even call it a prairie course at that point.
agfan2013
AG
Pine Forest is still around. Pretty much my #1 course within an hour and a half of B/CS when you consider course and price. Weekends usually are $35 or under and we've been out there a couple of times as cheap as $18 if I remember right. Still has all the big drop par 3s and condition is usually pretty good. Great course for the money, cant recommend it enough.
aggolfer
AG
Had some great times at Bluebonnet. Never played Pecan Lakes, I think it opened around the time I graduated.
CrawfordAg
AG
I had a brain lapse but was thinking of Blaketree National which was down the road a bit from Bluebonnet. Pine Forest is definitely still open and is one of the best bang for your buck in the area.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Blaketree National closed some years back.

The land was purchased by a development company and Tiger Woods was brought in to re-do the course....first 7 holes were opened for member play this past weekend.

Uber private $100K+ to join type place, but the pictures of the course look like Tiger created a pretty nice track.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.