How would you handle this?

3 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by proudaggie02
jj9000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, yesterday I decided to get an after work round in at Firewheel Bridges.

I'm playing better than usual through 14 holes (even par)...by the 14th hole, I ususally have made a dumb mistake or had a blowup hole or two sprinkled in the mix. However, this could be the day that the Golf gods shine down on me and I get lucky and break par.

Wife calls...little ones in the car...driving to the course to eat dinner.

Do you finish your round and take the wrath at home, or do you head to the clubhouse for dinner?

FWIW...I left for the clubhouse, but guess what I'm thinking about this morning (breaking par). I'm sure I would have found a way to Double Bogey a couple of the final holes...but I'll never know.
birdman
Trick question. I never would have answered my phone.
mongey donk
AG
quote:
Trick question. I never would have answered my phone.
Ag_07
AG
Shoulda finished. Golf is 18 holes.

You don't sit on the pot and only take 1/2 a chit.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
At even par, would have never answered and texted back "almost done"....then back to grinding.
Just an Ag
AG
If you are playing by yourself and no one is in front of you, in a cart, holes 15, 16, 17, 18 will take 20/25 mins, right? Tell her what to order for you and meet her in the clubhouse.

Sometimes I'll go play late in the evening, cart, no traffic, and play awesome (not always) but something about the pace (about an hour and half to hour forty five minutes) and the ability to be focused is much different than if I have a foursome and a 4+ hour round. There is just a lot more distractions when there are a bunch of people and it takes half a day.....
shaynew1
AG
I'll be the lone voice of reason!

dinner same as you
CapCity12thMan
AG
you've just set yourself up for a couple of things:

1) wife knows she can call you on the golf course and expect an answer
2) wife knows she can get you to operate on her schedule

Outside of emergencies, she should respect your free time, as lord knows you have to respect hers. It's a two way street.

Quinn
AG
Depends on what was discussed beforehand. If you told her that you were going out to play 18 and you aren't taking forever, I'd be inclined to tell her that you're having a great round and want to finish. If she thought you were at work or just hitting balls at the range, I'd be much more likely to head back to the clubhouse.
jj9000
AG
quote:
Depends on what was discussed beforehand. If you told her that you were going out to play 18 and you aren't taking forever, I'd be inclined to tell her that you're having a great round and want to finish. If she thought you were at work or just hitting balls at the range, I'd be much more likely to head back to the clubhouse.
This is a good point.

I left the house with 'trying to get 9 in'...and I played Saturday, Sunday, and Monday as well.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Was the course empty? how long would it have taken you to finish? My opinion probably doesn't hold much weight since I don't have kids but I would have finished. If it's not crowded you could have played 4 holes in around 20 mins or so; unless your wife was calling from the parking lot with a kid in her arms I think you would have had time.
jj9000
AG
quote:
unless your wife was calling from the parking lot with a kid in her arms I think you would have had time.
The phone call came while turning into the parking lot.

There were (2) twosomes in front of me.
boy09
AG
I like to think I would finish the round. But I'm also not married, so I can't really relate to your hardship...
98Ag99Grad
AG
quote:
quote:
unless your wife was calling from the parking lot with a kid in her arms I think you would have had time.
The phone call came while turning into the parking lot.

There were (2) twosomes in front of me.
That kind of changes things. Probably made the right decision since she had your little one there. now you have an excuse to give her grief and go play more.
Quinn
AG
I would say you made the right decision based on the new fact findings.
proudaggie02
AG
I probably would have skipped the 2 foursomes, played 17 & 18, eaten dinner with my family, and then tried to go back out and play 15 & 16 after dinner.

I say this as a guy who played past 9:00 pm at Bryan Muni when I had a great round going. Also, my buddy and I were pushing it to make dinner with our wives the day I shot my lowest round ever. I wasn't thinking about my score as much; I was just trying to finish the round.
proudaggie02
AG
quote:
you've just set yourself up for a couple of things:

1) wife knows she can call you on the golf course and expect an answer
2) wife knows she can get you to operate on her schedule

Outside of emergencies, she should respect your free time, as lord knows you have to respect hers. It's a two way street.

I love to play golf, but no way in hell am I going to ignore my wife on purpose while playing golf. On that end, she typically does not bother me when I'm playing & only texts/calls if it is something important. I play 60-75 rounds per year, which is way better than many of my friends. If my wife was a ball-buster, I'd probably change my tune a little.

Also, my day immediately gets better the second I see my little girls, so I'd be happy to have dinner with my family.
khaos288
AG
Step one, I'd go buy a lotto ticket. Step two, I'd go out and smash Jennifer Aniston and Scarlett Johansen, while Candice Swaponel waited her turn for me, bc it's a got dang fantasy.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Next time you have your wife on the brink of the big O, stop.

She will then be able to understand.
92TXAG
AG
quote:

Post of the Day!
HouAggie
AG
Tough call. You probably did the right thing. Still a lot of golf left and it sounds like you might have sabotaged your own game on the way in anyway.

Now if you were sitting at -1...stay out there!
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:

considering that was his 4th round in 4 days, he's either really good or really bad at that.
raidernarizona
quote:
do you head to the clubhouse for dinner?

Only because no one else has, Rule #1!

I'm only kidding! That's a tough call but I think you did the right thing.
1208HawkTree
AG
So let me get this straight, she was driving to the course YOU WERE PLAYING, and expected you to stop? I guess I'm confused because if anything is planned after I'm "supposed" to be done, I typically know about it in advance. Otherwise, my wife just assumes I'm gone till dark.

On the other hand, if you told her specifically that you were only playing 9 and it's been 2-3 hours since you left the house, then that's on you and you did the right thing. Next time, say you're going to see how many holes you can get in before dark...
LeFraud
It's easier to ask for forgiveness rather than ask for permission. I might have said, "ok, I'm finishing up here, but go ahead and order." From there I should be able to pick up the tone from her response and decide if it's ok to keep playing, or hurry my ass into the clubhouse. Tough call.
AgPrognosticator
AG
quote:
quote:
This is a good point.

I left the house with 'trying to get 9 in'...and I played Saturday, Sunday, and Monday as well.

That's a lot of golf for a married working dad. Count your blessings.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't pick up the phone. If I had, I would have kept playing if I hadn't played 3-4 days in a row, but in your specific situation, I probably would have done what you did.

On a related topic, I play a lot of twilight golf as a single, and I've been known to get creative when it looks like I'm going to have trouble playing the last few holes due to waiting on groups in front of me and quickly losing daylight. So if I think there's a good chance I won't have time for 17 and 18, I'll pick a couple of holes earlier on the back 9 to play a 2nd ball from a 2nd set of tees. I'll do my best to approximate 17 and 18 so that it's my best shot at a "alternative 17 and 18" score. For example, on my usual course, 17 is a longer par 4 and 18 is a longer par 5. I usually play one up from the tips, so on 14 (slightly shorter par 5), I'll play a 2nd ball from the tips to simulate 18, and then on 15, I'll play a 2nd ball from the tips to simulate 17. That way, after the 16th hole, I at least have an 18 hole score.

Now if I'm going for some sort of record or special # (like it sounds like you were), I'd try to avoid doing this. But it's not a bad way to make sure you get a full 18 in at twilight. Other times, if I end up skipping a couple of holes to get in front of slow groups in twilight, I'll take a similar approach on subsequent holes to make up for the holes I skipped (in some cases, move up tees, in others move back to tips - just depends on what I skipped)..
proudaggie02
AG
^
I Iike you creativity. Myself and SoonerBorn had the back nine to ourselves one winter afternoon & were playing 1,000+ yards par-7's. It was awesome .
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.