Anybody played Golf Club of Texas since it reopened?

1,457 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by GQaggie
jschroeder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
n/m
GQaggie
AG
I know you said n/m, but I've played it twice now. It still has a little maturing to do, but it's pretty decent. The zoysia is working nicely on the fairways, but I'm not convinced yet that it was the best way to go for the greens. It is supposedly the only course in the U.S. Using zoysia from tee to green. The layout is pretty much the same as it was originally. If they continue to put money into it, I think it can become a really solid course.
jschroeder
Thanks.

Sorry, I thought n/m meant "no message".
Hotdog Hamblin
AG
Was curious about this as well. I got a buddy that wants to play there, he said it used to be an awesome course before the owners let it go to ****. GQaggie, what are your concerns about the greens?
GQaggie
AG
I don't really know that much about zoysia greens honestly, but they aren't very smooth at the moment. That may just take some time though. You can tell the turf still hasn't matured completely. It also seems like the direction of the grain plays a more prominent role in the speed of the putt than bermuda greens.
GQaggie
AG
quote:
Thanks.

Sorry, I thought n/m meant "no message".

Maybe it does. I thought it was "never mind", but I'm not really up on my forum lingo.
jschroeder
I went and played it today. It is a good $35 course at the Twilight rate but I doubt I never even think of paying $79 for it. If you are going to play it, play it now, I don't know how long they are going to be able to keep the greens.
GQaggie
AG
Yeah, the greens have some rough spots. The management out there thinks that will improve as the grass continues to grow in. Like you, I'm pretty skeptical. I went back out there today, and I think they are already getting worse with just a week's worth of traffic.

As far as the price goes, you can pay them $99 for your next round, and that gets you the Player's Pass which locks in weekend rates of $49 and weekday rates of $39. Of course, that's only a discount if you're going before twilight.

All in all, it's nice to have another option on this side of town, but it will likely never be a remarkable course.
jschroeder
It's certainly an enjoyable South Texas course but I don't think those are the types of bare spots that improve with time.

Whoever did their sprinkler system design should be sued, there are far too many inconsistencies.
CashinOut
AG
Anyone from this thread or otherwise been back? I didn't want to start a new thread on something that's already been discussed.

Friend of mine wants to go play there or Willow Springs today.

TIA
STL_aTm
AG
Played a couple weeks ago. Much improved from before the renovation. A few greens were still a little rough but all in all not a bad course.
GQaggie
AG
I have gone out there several times over the last few months, and I feel it has slowly, but steadily improved. The greens are a little smoother and a little more filled in every time I go. The one place they have struggled to keep the turf improving is on the tee boxes. Some of them have become pretty sandy. All in all, my assessment remains the same: a good option on this side of town but nothing I would recommend traveling an hour for or paying full price for.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.