Golf in Cabo

1,804 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by mongey donk
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed to Cabo with another couple in a few weeks and we're trying to decide where to golf.

• We really want on at Quivara but not sure that's possible. We may try and ask around town and see if anyone has a hook-up.

• Is Diamante doable? I thought I read somewhere that you can get on if you do a timeshare presentation thing.

• If those two don't work out we're thinking Cabo del Sol.

Any other suggestions or recs?
OutdoorAg2010
AG
I played Cabo San Lucas Country Club last summer and it was a fun course and in great condition. Probably not as upscale as some of the others but really close to town and very scenic!
skippytimmy
AG
Diamante is AWESOME. I got a chance to play it with Davis Love III (designer) before it opened..... Bandon Dunes in Mexico.

Palmilla is a great course (Troon Managed). Expensive, but a nice track. Cabo del Sol is also a great course.

I haven had a chance to play Quivara yet, but it is on my list.
Ag_07
AG
So is Diamante open to the general public?
skippytimmy
AG
quote:
So is Diamante open to the general public?
It was a year or two ago... haven't checked in a while.

girlgolfer12
Puerto Los Cabos - all inclusive food and adult beverages.
Palmilla Golf Club

EvenPar
AG
Played Quivira Golf Club in Cabo this past summer. Must say it is every bit of awesomene as advertised. This is a very challenging course, especially the day we played...probably the strongest wind I've ever played in, but they did say it is usually not that windy. Course has breathtaking views and 4 "comfort stations" along the way, with food and drinks provided. You can stay at the comfort stations as long as you want, which is nice if the wifey is with you, and they will cook up whatever you ask. I would rank this course in my personal top5. The beachfront open air clubhouse/bar/restaurant is a perfect hangout for after the round.

It's not open to the public, however you can gain access by staying at any of the oceanfront Pueblo Bonito Resorts or by owning or renting a residence in Copala, Montecristo Estates, and Novaispania Residences. They offer free shuttles for transportation.

http://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/jack-nicklaus-cabo-mexico-14951.htm
Ag_07
AG
Yeah we're not staying at Pueblo Bonita, but it did cross my mind to just stay there and all four split the cheapest room for one night.

If I woulda known all this prior to booking I think we would've done it.

My buddy seems to think he can ask around town and maybe our fishing guide (who has hooked him up at various restaurants and what not) may know some way to get us on, but I'm not holding my breathe. Think we'll end up at Cabo del Sol.
garym2001
AG
Cabo del Sol is no consolation prize. It's a great course with some awesome views.
EvenPar
AG
Took this on one of the Par 3s at Quivira. Haven't played Cabo del Sol but I'm sure it's nice too. Good luck.
mongey donk
AG
The Davis Love course Diamante is great, everyone I have talked to enjoys it more than Tiger's new course. You should be able to setup a tee time, they don't do timeshare presentations unless that is something new. Lucky enough to have the in-laws build a house in Diamante.

Cabo del Sol is one of my personal favorites. You will find better fairways a greens at a few other places but the views are awesome. You also get all you can eat homemade street tacos at the turn. Don't waste time playing the desert course, only the ocean.

Quivara is the best value of the three IMO. Plan to spend some time after your round, they have an awesome indoor/outdoor bar area to hangout at the club.

EvenPar
AG
Davis Love designed the Dunes course, and Tiger Woods designed El Cardonal, both within the very exclusive Diamante Club. And, I believe Tiger is designing another now.

They do timeshare presentations for a free round, but be aware for some shenanigans. Just go to the Marina area in Cabo and you can easily find guys trying to pitch a timeshare at Diamante.

After a long conversation and negotiation we were promised a free round of golf for me and my buddy, and our wives would be allowed to use their 10acre Crystal Lagoon while we sat through a 1.5/hr presentation and played golf afterward. Fast forward to that morning...we get there and the whole tone changed. All of a sudden it was a non-declinable 45 minute breakfast (where they pitch while you eat) followed by a 2 hr presentation/tour. And now our wives were not allowed to use the lagoon, only members, even though thats the deal we negotiated. After some discussion, they wouldn't uphold their end of the deal so we got up and walked out. We were chased down by management, and then that guy even sent his boss out to us, and he actually offered us $200 cash to stay, but our wives could still not use the lagoon. By that point it was already late morning and we were aggravated so we drove away.

That morning, I saw about 6 other couples getting the timeshare pitch.
Cen-Tex
AG
Bring money. Golf in Cabo ain't cheap.
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
Palmilla and Cabo Del Sol
Ag_07
AG
This is what I was wanting to know. Is it worth it to do the sales pitch? Sounds like that's a no. Thanks for the input

The more I read, the more good/great things I've read about Cabo del Sol - Ocean. I think we'll just ditch Diamante as I don't wanna deal with the sales pitch BS. Maybe get lucky and end up at Quivara, but Cabo del Sol looks to be the winner.

And yes we're bringing money. Plus we're staying cheap on a Groupon so we can golf, fish, and eat well. I'll be sure to post a report and pics once we get back.

Thanks again fellas
mongey donk
AG
quote:
Bring money. Golf in Cabo ain't cheap.
make it up with the cheap cerveza
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.