Get lessons now or wait?

1,138 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Yesterday
gert09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Coming up on two years since I started playing golf, and I received two lessons from a local pro as a birthday present.

My goals lately have been to break 90, and I finally did on Saturday! Shot an 88. My two rounds before that were both 90s. Course I play is par 72. These scores are with no gimmes, mulligans or changing the lie -- I play it down always -- and with playing according to the rules as far as I know (ie. re-tee when going OB etc.). I just say all this so you have a general idea about my skill level.

Should I go ahead and get the two lessons even though the season will be ending in a few months (early-mid November probably) or should I hold onto them until spring or do 1 now and 1 then?

I'm still fairly new to golf so any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

ORAggieFan
do you live somewhere that gets a lot of snow?
gert09
Springfield, MO. Not a whole lot until late December and into the new year but it does get pretty cold and it's super windy here. Maybe the season really doesn't end until later than I said. I've only been through one winter season as far as golf is concerned.
ORAggieFan
If going a few months without I'd probably wait.
Just an Ag
AG
If you get lessons, then get them in the short game - learning how to get up and down. I heard Feherty talking about that this weekend on tv. He said (paraphrased) for the pro it is very important to have length off the tee, but for the average golfer they will miss the green more times than not, so practice the short game more than the long game. My tee-to-green game is usually consistently average, but my short game dictates my score. I can shoot 78 or 88 all depending on my short game, but both rounds could be identical from tee-to-green. If you have access to a short game facility, then go spend hours with a wedge in your hand and lean how to chip with it from <25 yards to the pin. High/soft landings, low running chips, learn them all. It is a "confidence" shot and the more you practice them the more confidence you will get. Master the up-down and your score will instantly improve, and its fun.
birdman
Get one lesson now. You'll have enough time before winter to have good habits and techniques set in. I'd probably take the second lesson after two months later.
Yesterday
AG
Take the two lessons now and then buy three more when it thaws out. Two lessons will do wonders but three more spread out over next season will really improve your game. This is if you practice/play a lot.

Oh, and in before the "long game is the most important aspect" crowd chimes in.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.