I need a new club

3,003 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by feedthemlead
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm not very long with my clubs and it is starting to become more of a problem for me. I'm usually 270ish with the driver and my next club in the bag is an older TM rescue club which I usually can hit 170-180. I don't have any fairway woods except for an old Wilson that's not even worth keeping in my bag, but for some reason I do. I need something in the bag that I can get out in the 200 yrd range. Should I invest in a fairway wood or are their any hybrid like clubs that could work for me? I'm thinking that a hybrid might be easier to hit? I'm around a 17 handicap for reference
'03ag
I bet it's rare that someone can hit a driver 270 but can't hit a hybrid 200+. What's the loft on the hybrid?
AustinCountyAg
quote:
I bet it's rare that someone can hit a driver 270 but can't hit a hybrid 200+. What's the loft on the hybrid?

270 on the high end for sure. Consistently around 250

19* it's a TM Rescue club. Prolly 7/8 yrs old
antman8504
AG
Your clubs are either a really bad fit for you or you really don't hit your driver that far. I am about the same distance with my driver, 275 with a solid drive, average about 260. I hit my 5 wood 225. Hit my 5 iron 195-200. I just play standard oem stiff shafts in all my clubs
antman8504
AG
My 5 wood is 19 degrees. I use to have a 22 degree hybrid that I hit around 205
khaos288
AG
Idk if you're a budget guy like me but dicks is selling the last model of the tight lies 3 wood for 40$ right now. I got one yesterday and it's a nice little club
AustinCountyAg
Does it come with a head cover? That's seems like too good a deal to pass up. I always hear those are some of the best clubs for the price
Dr T and the Women
AG
If you hit your driver 250-70 I think even a 4 hybrid will give you 200. i would get a 3 and 4 hybrid
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
khaos288
AG
quote:
Does it come with a head cover? That's seems like too good a deal to pass up. I always hear those are some of the best clubs for the price

Call to be sure. I ended up getting a used price matched +10$ one from golfsmith, so I just put my old head cover.
girlgolfer12
Yes, it comes with a head cover. And they are awesome! I have the 14 and 16.
Just an Ag
AG
Golfsmith at IH 10/Fry in Katy has a good selection of used fairway woods and hybrids at good prices. I would go in there and try them out and you can get a goof feel for what you need.
agsalaska
AG
quote:
Your clubs are either a really bad fit for you or you really don't hit your driver that far. I am about the same distance with my driver, 275 with a solid drive, average about 260. I hit my 5 wood 225. Hit my 5 iron 195-200. I just play standard oem stiff shafts in all my clubs
Thats not necessarily true. I have lost lot of distance with my irons over the last couple of years because of, among other things, the position of my hands at contact with my irons. You hit your 5 iron further than I do, but I am longer than you off the tee.
AustinCountyAg
I ended up ordering the Tight Lies from Dicks last night. For $40 it's hard to pass up on a new club with solid reviews. Its hard to find a decent used one anywhere for that price
khaos288
AG
quote:
I ended up ordering the Tight Lies from Dicks last night. For $40 it's hard to pass up on a new club with solid reviews. Its hard to find a decent used one anywhere for that price
Let me know how you like it! I'm always pumped to have given a good suggestion haha
AustinCountyAg
Just got the club in the mail. Head cover and all. It looks good. I'm hoping tomm I can swing by the range and hit a few balls with it!
'03ag
Just picked one up as well. hopefully get to hit it soon.

is your head cover a weird tube sock/eight ball looking thing? the kid behind the counter didn't instill confidence when he went to go find a head cover.
AustinCountyAg
quote:
Just picked one up as well. hopefully get to hit it soon.

is your head cover a weird tube sock/eight ball looking thing? the kid behind the counter didn't instill confidence when he went to go find a head cover.
no, it is a nice leather one.
'03ag
yeah that was a bad description. mine is also leather. I just find it odd looking and it has no real shape to it. no shaft protector. it has 16 stiched on it. for 16 degrees I assume.
'03ag
I guess I could've just googled. I got this

I guess it's legit.
girlgolfer12
That's it!
AustinCountyAg
I was able to get out to the range and hit the new club yesterday after work. Like others have said the head is light, so when making contact with the ball it feels a little different and requires some getting used to. As soon as I have time I will get the grip changed. But cosmetics wise its well worth the $40.

In regards to hitting the ball in the few good swings I had the results were outstanding. Good high ball flight and pretty good distance as far as what I was expecting....My problem is more related to the Indian, not the arrow.

all things considered it was a good buy, and I'm sure it will stay in my bag for years to come
khaos288
AG
Great to hear! I plan on regripping mine as well as I have to do to all clubs though with my bigger hands. Glad you liked it.
feedthemlead
I utilize H3 and H4 hybrids from Callaway RAZR stiff flex Graphite shaft. The H3 I can carry 220-230 depending on a tail wind, the H4 is right at 200. Depending on what type of lie your hitting out of the ball will float with a two bounce settle and roll with a tight lie less loft more roll out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.