Anyone ever used Golf Tec

1,949 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by DOCAG79
agsalaska
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry I didnt use the search function. I am on this board a lot and cannot remember seeing it.

I am tired of hitting the ball bad. I used to be pretty good at this game. But multiple long layoffs and a little age have caught up with me. I need a clean start. I want a new set of irons(my woods are fine) and I want a full evaluation of my swing. For example, I can easily get 300 off the tee but have trouble getting an 8 iron 150. There is something massively wrong.

So, anyone been there? I am considering going to the one in San Antonio.
ORAggieFan
I know there was a thread a while back here.

Funny, just today I was thinking of doing the swing analysis and a package if that went well.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I'm currently going to one here in Houston near the galleria. It had been quite some time since my swing was video taped so for me it's been really helpful. I'm a 4.7hcp but have always had a flaw I couldn't shake- lots of toe hits with irons. I would hit the ball fine for a week or two then out of no where start missing everything on the toe. He saw some things and made some suggestions and for the most part it hasn't been issue for awhile.

I was always hesitant to use them because I had heard they try to make everyone swing one way. In my experience this has not been the case. Like any golf lesson, it all depends on the instructor. I have a young guy helping me and he does a good job. We actually played 18 holes together today. I'd give it a shot.
Mr.Bond
AG
$$$$$$$$$$$$
Born N Bred Ag
AG
I got fit by Bo in Golf Tech in Plano. He's a good friend that others here will vouch he knows his stuff. He won't screw around and will tell you the truth. Would definitely recommend him if you're are looking to get your irons in order.
lknapp
I know the owner at the one San Antiono. Ryan is a good guy and knows his stuff..
K Bo
AG
Are you going to the GolfTec on Post Oak? What's your instructor's name, if you don't mind my asking? This is not too far from my house and I have been considering going here but hesitant for the same reason you listed.

Thanks!
98Ag99Grad
AG
Yes, near the Morton's steak house. His name is Ryan. Young guy there. Shoot me a PM if you need/want anymore info.
K Bo
AG
That should be enough to get me going.

Thanks!

Kevin
htxag09
AG
quote:
$$$$$$$$$$$$

How much we taking?
BTD
Depends on package, but ballpark of $75 to $100 per half hour session.
Comes with unlimited practice sessions during the timeframe of the package. Pretty nice during summer time.
fourthgenag09
AG
They pressure you to buy one of their packages. Sometimes they'll tease "tips" in the swing evaluation to make you buy more future lessons. "Yeah I can fix that but we can't get to that right now." etc
DOCAG79
AG
I purchased one of the 6 month (14 lesson) packages. The main plus for using them is that I have used the pro(s) at my club for years. They work with you at the range, taking videos on their cell phones, and giving 17 different things to work on! To damn many things for this person to comprehend in one sitting

Golf-Tec guys work on one-two things at a time to work on. The indoor system works for me as you can replay every swing after hitting shots, to see what you are doing right or wrong. Getting instant feedback is great. Will see if it really works as advertised, but so far, I'm pleased.
Cen-Tex
AG
Everyone that I know that has taken lessons from them have lowered their scores by several strokes....including me. The video comparison of your swing along side a touring pro was a great learning tool.
Mr.Bond
AG
No offense but talk need to find a better pro for lessons. Just like anything, there are good ones and bad ones
ORAggieFan
Have a swing analysis today. If it goes well I plan to get a package of lessons.
WHOOP!'91
AG
I took two lessons at the Baybrook (Houston) location. I still have one in the package I got for Christmas and need to get out there for it soon, but the guy I started with took a job at one of the local courses and I don't know anything about the new guy.

Anyway, I found their video tools irreplaceable with the naked eye of the local course pro. They are expensive, though, so if I do anything else with them, it will be to supplement the local course pro.
Swollen Thumb
AG
In the middle of a 6 mth plan now. Wish I would have done it 2 years ago when I first started getting more serious about golf. For what you get, I don't think it is that expensive at all.
agsalaska
AG
My swing analysis is tonight at 530
ORAggieFan
quote:
My swing analysis is tonight at 530
I'm curious how it goes for you and your thoughts.

Got done with mine. Overall, the technology is awesome. My swing, not so much. Recommended the "6/15" plan. 15 30 minutes lessons and 6 months of personal use of video equipment. Also comes with a custom club fitting, 2 "remote lessons". I think this was about $1360.

Debating what I want and if just lessons or the added stuff. I have a net/mat in my backyard, but seeing stuff on the monitors and with video is awesome.

The "Up to 20%" really means either 10 or 15%.
BTD
The big benefit that I discounted about Golftec was the ability to have unlimited practices indoors during the summer months. I would almost pay just for that,... almost.
Swollen Thumb
AG
quote:
The big benefit that I discounted about Golftec was the ability to have unlimited practices indoors during the summer months. I would almost pay just for that,... almost.

This X 1000000
I'm there hitting balls 3 times a week during lunch (with video, air condition etc). And that is on top of the lessons.

Like I said, for what you get (if you do the math) it's really a pretty good deal.
Mr.Bond
AG
Hitting off turf mats absolutely destroys my wedge game, short irons too
agsalaska
AG
I bought the 15 lessons for 1200. Her is why.

I basically quit golf for 3 years when I lived in Alaska. I was about a 2 when I moved there. When I left AK and moved to Vegas I played a ton of golf(09-12). I got down to scratch but things were always a little different. I never went to get a lesson or anything but my iron play was not as good as it was growing up. I was able to score mostly because of my driver, chipping, and putting. For whatever reason about four years ago I suddenly lost about a club length on my irons, but not on my woods.

Over the last two years after moving back to Texas my irons got much worse. For example, I would be on, say, a 460 yard par 4, hit a 310 yard drive, but could barely get an 8 iron to the green. It didnt make any sense. It got to the point that I was clubbing down to even a 7 iron from 150 just to make sure I had enough club, yet my woods were going further than ever. I knew I had some kind of major flaw in my swing and suspected I was coming across the ball with an open face with my hands behind the ball. I was right.

He hooked me up and we saw it immediately. I was hitting my 6 iron about 170 on my first 5 swings. The club face was flying wide open immediately, I was coming across the ball, and my hands were real late. He got me in the right position, grip, weight, etc. and we worked on closing the face(which I find next to impossible). My shoulder turn was fd up and we got it right too. He told me to take what felt like half swings. Suddenly with very little effort those half swings were going 160. I was surprised to see that what I thought was a half swing was actually about a 3/4 swing. It was effortless. I was exaggerating everything on purpose and couldnt quite get it right on a full swing, but it was clear in a hurry that if I master what he was showing me I would have a much cleaner ball strike and pick up the distance i had lost.

He sold me in about 20 minutes.
ORAggieFan
Interesting to know the price difference between San Diego and TX.

Pretty sure I'm going with that plan as well.
Rev98
AG
About a month ago I was shooting 115 consistently, never shot that bad in about 20 years. I knew that I needed help, especially because I was about to take a golf trip to play Pebble Beach and Monterrey Peninsula.

I went to golftec to get a lesson, sold me a package of 10. After 3 lessons and some practice, I took my trip to the west coast. My drives were monster bombs, my irons were sweet shots of lasers tracing the sky. I was a different golfer. Took 20 strokes off my score.

Now, I still suck at chipping and putting, but I have confidence in my swing now. Additionally I know what a bad swing feels like and am aware of what I need to do to fix it.

If you want a referral for a swing analysis, let me know.

WHOOP!'91
AG
Has anyone used the Baybrook site since the previous guy left a few months ago? Is the new guy good?
DOCAG79
AG
I use Josh at Baybrook after Dustin left. I'm pleased so far.

Agreeing with the comments above about the practice use with monitors is worth the price of admission. Getting immediate feedback through video is a huge asset.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.