Plum Bobbing

2,384 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by watty
Turf-Ag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've recently started reading my putts by plum bobbing and have totally confused myself with it. If the hole is on the right side of the shaft, does that mean the putt is breaking to the right or it's breaking from right to left?

TIA
mt3950
AG
I've never understood this art either...apparently Johnny Miller is the only one who has it mastered.
Turf-Ag02
AG
But he has EVERYTHING mastered
Sazerac
AG
Breaks in the direction of the plumb / putter shaft...
If shaft is leaning left, hole on the right, you have a putt that breaks from right to left.
dbtexasag05
Before you start plum bobbing you better make damn sure you have a center shafted blade putter with no offset.

Putters these days are weighted so differently that you could really be causing yourself an issue.
CapCity12thMan
AG
Hold on...

The putter doesn't lean, it hangs vertically straight ( in theory). Given today's putters it is much harder to do.

If the hole is on the right of the putter shaft, the putt breaks right, and vice versa.

Key is knowing how to setup and ensuring the putter shaft is vertical
dbtexasag05
Cap said it better than I did.
1208HawkTree
AG
Or hang it with the toe/heel pointed at the hole.
dbtexasag05
Not necessarilly.

I had a discussion with a guy the other day. Some of those back weighted putters will cause the shaft to not drop center. Try to do it with an odyssey tank.
Sazerac
AG
"If the hole is on the right of the putter shaft, the putt breaks right, and vice versa. "

Incorrect.
Nom de Plume
AG
I've played golf for 26 years and I still have no clue how to read greens by plumb bobbing.
Goose
AG
I thought the theory was to plumb the putter shaft covering the ball and the hole at the same time and then viewing the left/right slope of the green in relation to the vertical putter shaft.
AgDotCom

"I was the first one to use that grip then Trevino saw me and copied it. Then Langer." - Johnny Miller, about once or twice every year.

"I was the first one to plumb bob my putter then everyone saw me and copied it" - Unattributed, but if Miller didn't say that already he will before he dies.
Coppell97
AG
mfbarnes used to play on a monthly church league scramble team with Johnny Miller. Miller was their A player, Barnes was the B. He could not match Miller's distance, but barnes had almost as good a wedge game as Miller - and some days he was better. You would think their team would have won every month. However, they only won about every third match - Hal Sutton and Mark Calcavecchia were also members of the church and played in the scramble league.
dcrewint
"I invented the Internet." -Johnny Miller
dbtexasag05
"I am Old Tom Morris"

Johnny Miller
DannyDuberstein
AG
quote:
I thought the theory was to plumb the putter shaft covering the ball and the hole at the same time and then viewing the left/right slope of the green in relation to the vertical putter shaft.

This. In theory, you're using gravity to tell you which way the green is sloping and how severe. The surroundings/background can sometime fool your eyes, so the plumbob is taking that out of play so you can just evaluate the ground your putt will roll against a true vertical line (if the balance of one's putter even allows it to hang exactly vertical).

That said, I never do it.
Golf1
AG
I'll teach you how to do it along with some better things next time we play!
LHIOB
AG
Every time I play with someone who does that I just laugh.
jonj101
"The same is true with plumb-bobbing. It's just a gyration. Most players believe they're applying some sort of engineering principle when they sight the line with the shaft held in front of their faces and close one of their eyes, but it just isn't so. It's an illusion. Just ask an engineer." - Jackie Burke
mt3950
AG
care to expand???
dbtexasag05
What part am I too expand on?

Johnny Miller thinking he is Tom Morris, or back weighted putters?

The club builder I talked to mentioned that people are not aware of how certain putters are weighted. This is causing amateurs to go out and buy the wrong equipment for their game.

He actually grabbed an older back weighted putter and dropped it toe facing forward and heel backwards (pointed at his chest). The shaft did not hang perpendicular to the floor. The weights actually caused the shaft to be at maybe a 5-10 degree angle. 50 years ago this wasn't the case.

I think people would be surprised at how poorly their golf clubs are set up for their games. Club manufacturers have you buying stuff and you have no idea what the technology is or how to use it to maximize your game.

For instance how many people can actually explain why putters have a varying degree of neck lengths?
shotcaller1
AG
I wonder if patrick willis and mfbarnes ever hung out
1208HawkTree
AG
I agree with this. I don't putt with a tank so in my case, it tends to work. I only do it when I can't figure out which way the putt breaks, and only to figure out direction, not amount of break.
watty
AG
It's a lot easier to just learn Aimpoint.
watty
AG
Oops wrong emoji above. Not angry.
grego
AG
Thankfully I see very few people - outside of women - that still do this on the course. Not good for pace.
bagger05
AG
quote:
Thankfully I see very few people - outside of women - that still do this on the course. Not good for pace.
I can think of a lot of ways to read a putt that take way longer than plumb-bobbing...

I understand that pace of play is a big issue in the game, but I find it slightly irritating when people make generalizations about specific things that cause slow rounds. Slow rounds are caused by slow players--meaning people who aren't aware that they should be moving things along (bad management and poor course setup and layout come in a distant second and third).

Tell the slow guy in your group that he can no longer plumb-bob and he will still be slow. Tell him no practice swings allowed and he will still be slow. Tell him he can't get drinks from the cart and he will still be slow. Slow players aren't slow because of one specific habit or another... they're slow because they're slow players. They don't pay attention and they don't understand its important to be ready to go.

I don't mind waiting on someone to go through their routine... I don't want to wait on people to start their routine because they aren't ready to play.
watty
AG
Well said.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.