Memorial Park golf- Houston

2,054 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by WHOOP!'91
Zona81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking about playing a few days before the Aggie game. Haven't played there in years (before the renovation). How is it? If not there, is there another public course that would be near downtown? Staying downtown and would prefer to play somewhere fairly close.
htxag09
AG
It's the nicest most reasonably priced public courses around. Lots of walkers, but pace of play isn't bad because of it. We played 18 holes a lot faster there than some country clubs around town.

Only complaint is the greens were really hard. Pitching wedges would bounce off them. Other than that, the course was in good shape. Good fairways, rough, etc.

They have a lottery system for tee times, but you can just pay a little more to guarantee a tee time.
htxag09
AG
The Herman park course is close also, near the zoo, but I've never played it.
Ag_07
AG
Herman sucks. It's a par 68 and cramped. You'll be ducking hackers all day and it's slow. Pace at Memorial is 4.5 hours cause it's all foursomes and they move you along.

If it's just you walk up and they'll squeeze you in. If not call the pro shop and you pay and extra $15 to reserve a tee time rather than enter the lottery.

We play there every weekend so if you need help getting a tee time let me know.
WHOOP!'91
AG
Wildcat is just south of downtown on 288 and is in good shape. It's more expensive than Memorial or Hermann, though.
BarryProfit
Memorial > Wildcat
Ezra Brooks
AG
Had a buddy that played Wildcat this past weekend and said it's in terrible shape.

Poa anna has infested the greens, tee boxes are chewed up. He did say the fairways were decent enough.

We used to be up there A LOT and it used to be a really nice place and a good, close to town place to play/practice.
Ag_07
AG
And I would call ASAP as those tee times go FAST
WHOOP!'91
AG
I played Wildcat Lakes June 25 and it was in good shape then. I guess I hadn't been long since all of that rain and its been longer. Bit in late June, Lakes was in good shape.
The Milkman
AG
quote:
Herman sucks. It's a par 68 and cramped. You'll be ducking hackers all day and it's slow. Pace at Memorial is 4.5 hours cause it's all foursomes and they move you along.
While I agree Hermann is really slow... are you insisting that 4.5 hours is "moving you along" and a good pace? 4.5 hours for a round and I am ready to kill somebody.

I love Memorial and play there frequently since I live within walking distance of it, but it is a slow course.
htxag09
AG
Memorial is actually not bad. 4.5 hours is fairly decent, especially considering the amount of walkers.

Seems every time I play a private country club in the burbs I end up quitting because pace is so slow. You get all these guys that think they own the place and play hella slow and in 5 or 6-somes. Last time I played sterling we quit on 14 after 4.5 hours.
Ag_07
AG
I think 4.5 hours is about avg for a public course in town. It'll be the same at Wildcat. I don't want this to turn into another pace of play debate thread. In Houston, inside the beltway 4.5 is avg.

It's 4.5 at Memorial but it's all foursomes and they're booked solid all day so everyone is playing 4.5. It's the same pace. You don't have a handful of 2somes playing playing in between 4somes and there are no 5somes allowed.

We did go off last Friday at 1:30 when it was hot as balls and played in 3.5
bagger05
AG
quote:
Memorial is actually not bad. 4.5 hours is fairly decent, especially considering the amount of walkers.
At a course like Memorial that is laid out well, walkers don't take any longer than people in a cart.
BTD
Did not know about the $15 at memorial.
Hotdog Hamblin
AG
quote:
Did not know about the $15 at memorial.
Wow, me either. That might be a game changer as I really like the course and it's the closet to me by far.
Ag_07
AG
Damn...I think I fcked up
WHOOP!'91
AG
Probably just the guy running the lottery putting his finger on the scale. Good way to supplement your income.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.