Attachment – Technology – Club Fitting

707 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by powerbelly
b_rad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1988 Ping Eye2 Blue Dots

Still playing these clubs (27 years). Hit my 8 iron 150 yards/7 iron 160 yards and so forth. Thinking about getting a club fitting to see what 2015 technology can do for me..like being able to increase my distance with some newer irons. And then there is the part "these clubs have been with me for a lot of rounds"; halike a sense of separation especially since they have played well over the years. Do y'all get attached to clubs you've played with over the years?

What should I expect out of a club fitting? Never done one, so I'm not sure what answers I'm looking for. Are they just looking at your ball flight with your old club and then letting you hit different clubs with different lofts/lie angles to see how you can." improve height and distance" with a different club than the one you own?

Other than Golfsmith down here in Clear Lake/Webster Texas, is there any other club fitting down here on this side of Houston?

Thanks for any thoughts/direction.
CapCity12thMan
AG
Up until 2 years ago I was playing some PINGs from 1996, so I think I am right there with you. I now play some Callaway X-Hot Pros (4-AW).

I gained distance for sure. I am a +1 hdcp, so I feel confident in my analysis of what I see as the biggest differences between the two sets. I also understand everybody is different and so are clubs.

a) the distance gain was approx 1/2 a club for me. 8i from 154 to 161, 5i from 185 to 195, as examples.
b) the forgiveness is slightly better I think, but remember PINGs back then were like hitting the ball with a tennis racket in my opinion.
c) the BIGGEST difference is ball flight. PINGs would launch and rise, reaching peak later and then falling. These Callaways would reach peak faster, maintain a flatter flight longer and then fall. The ball clearly looks different coming off my new set, as it takes a much different path to its peak.

You will improve just because of the technology upgrade, and you'll think why didn't you do it sooner - but don't expect miracles.
b_rad
AG
Any other club fitting on this side of Houston other than Golfsmith that any of you have used and would recommend? Thanks.
07fta07
AG
Go to Swanson's, I think there's one at Wildcat. It's not Clear Lake, but it's not far and will be better than Golfsmith.
aggiedent
AG
quote:
Up until 2 years ago I was playing some PINGs from 1996, so I think I am right there with you. I now play some Callaway X-Hot Pros (4-AW).

I gained distance for sure. I am a +1 hdcp, so I feel confident in my analysis of what I see as the biggest differences between the two sets. I also understand everybody is different and so are clubs.

a) the distance gain was approx 1/2 a club for me. 8i from 154 to 161, 5i from 185 to 195, as examples.

You do realize that X-hot pros are a strongly lofted set of clubs right? They are lofted a full club stronger than every model Ping from 1996. So in effect, if you are hitting your new 8i (same loft as Ping 7i) only a half club further than your old Ping, you are actually getting slightly less distance from the same loft.
b_rad
AG
Just trying to see if some newer technology would get me 10 yards more for each club....like 8i 160 yards versus my usual 150 yards.....and so forth.

Thanks for the comment about Swanson's at Wildcat.
ORAggieFan
Ignore the club number and compare equal lofts.
powerbelly
AG
Loft differences 3-p

Callaway Pro - 19,21,24,27,31,35.5,40,45
Ping i5/g5 - 21,24,27,30.5,34,38,42,46
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.