Who Gets the Career Grand Slam 1st, if any of these do?

2,666 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by billionaire
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
- Zach Johnson
- Rory McIlroy
- Phil Mickelson
- Jordan Spieth
- Martin Kaymer
- Johnny Miller
- None of the above get a career grand slam

Easiest answer if choosing a player is Rory, as he only needs one more and is not over the hill yet. But who knows..Augusta could just be his nemesis, and Spieth may yet finish the year 3/4 on Majors.
HouAggie
AG
Rory. I believe his best is still a step (large step) above anyone else on the planet. It won't be long before he peaks at the right time and gets a green jacket.
Harry Stone
AG
Jordan. I think Rory will struggle coming back from his injury.
jj9000
AG
quote:

- Johnny Miller

AgDotCom
Rory. The huge gap he held between #1 and #2 in the OWGR just 6 months ago to almost being overtaken yesterday has got to light a fire, if not piss him off.

He'll come back smoking, as long as he doesn't come back too early and lets the injury heal properly. It might be best to take off until Oct.-Nov.
2ndGen87
AG
Jordan. Heck, he will be the favorite at the PGA this year.

He faded two years ago at the masters only to come back and win it the next year.
I could see him doing that next year at the BO.

He was only one stroke from having 75% of this done.

Plus, his age. He will peak in the next two years.
HouAggie
AG
One stroke AND a 4-hole playoff vs three other guys.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'd still say Rory for now.

What I think is really cool is the contrast between the two best in the world now. Rory has some ridiculous bomber skills but tends to run hot and cold. Spieth is the flipside - he's more like the Greg Maddux of the PGA tour right now (credit to Bones Mackay for that analogy, but I think it's perfect). He doesn't overpower anything, but he's so skilled at tactically putting up low #'s.
bagger05
AG
quote:
I'd still say Rory for now.

What I think is really cool is the contrast between the two best in the world now. Rory has some ridiculous bomber skills but tends to run hot and cold. Spieth is the flipside - he's more like the Greg Maddux of the PGA tour right now (credit to Bones Mackay for that analogy, but I think it's perfect). He doesn't overpower anything, but he's so skilled at tactically putting up low #'s.

I agree with this.

If the two were both playing their best, give me Rory any day. Length is just a huge advantage. Can't wait to see these two dueling down the stretch in a major sometime soon.
Chipotlemonger
AG
The key is that tournaments are not just 1 day long. Definitely two different ends of the golf spectrum between the two guys.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Rory. His last major to win should be the easiest (on paper) for him.
SabineAg
AG
Cory Whitsett will be an interesting player to keep your eyes on in the future. Growing up he was always ahead of Jordan Spieth in the Junior Amateur rankings and played in the collegiate national championship against him, losing to Jordan the first go around, but returned another year at Alabama to win the national championship outright. He has been trying to find a consistent swing since he hurt his back a few years back, but he has been doing well and seems to be taking the same path that Jordan took to obtain his tour card.

The future Whitsett v. Spieth battles will be interesting to see as they are both kids from Texas and have been duking it out for a decade already. Also everybody loves a good lefty.
HouAggie
AG
Yeah, I can totally see how Whitsett belongs in this thread and in discussions of likely future rivals of Jordan Spieth.
jonj101
Spieth.

Rory is too hot and cold. Even if he would have been in the field this past week I don't see him making alot of waves right now - alot of his ranking was based on how he closed out a strong last year.

A few things I think about the current players on tour:

Dustin Johnson = Sergio Garcia. Great ball strikers, don't have the closing mentality to polish off a major.

Patrick Reed should play in every Ryder Cup until he can no longer walk the course - and then he should get shuffled around in a cart. He's a guy who plays with a chip on his shoulder, and who Monday'd his way into tournaments multiple times until he got his card. He hasnt made a ton of noise this year, but I think he'll always be a force in Ryder matches.

Louis Oos or Justin Rose has the best swing on tour right now. I flip flop between the two.
Corporal Punishment
AG
quote:
Yeah, I can totally see how Whitsett belongs in this thread

I think Ty Tryon is about to break through very soon
2ndGen87
AG
Spieth is a young Jack Nicklaus to me. He is in the hunt every time. You have to beat him and play exceptionally well or he will win.
CapCityAg89
AG
- Zach Johnson: I don't think he can win the US Open as it takes too much length.

- Rory McIlroy: Will win all four for sure.

- Phil Mickelson: Done/too old I think and I think his risk-reward style is a poor fit for a US Open.

- Jordan Spieth: as with Rory, sure thing.

- Martin Kaymer: has the game, but I'm not sure about his head.

- Johnny Miller: too much mouth. Funny book though.

First? I'll go with Spieth until I see Rory back from injury.
ORAggieFan
quote:

- Phil Mickelson: Done/too old I think and I think his risk-reward style is a poor fit for a US Open.

Uh, how do you explain 6 2nd place finishes?

Not that I think he will win one now with his age, but he's done very well at US Opens.
billionaire
Jason Day should be in this mix
HouAggie
AG
Why should Day be on this list? Unlike everyone else, he has zero major wins.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, needing all 4 is a decent reason.
LeFraud
Somewhat confused about Johnny Miller, thought it was a half-hearted joke at first, and maybe it still is...

I'm guessing Vijay, Ernie and Padraig are too old/past their window? Angel Cabrera?

Guys with one who I think have a good shot, maybe more so than guys with 2:
- Oosthuizen - loss in a playoff at Augusta, finished one shot out of a playoff at US Open
- Rose - seems to have the game to win the three he lacks
- Bradlley/Simpson - gotta have an American I guess

I like Dufner, but he's already 38...

Who's the worst major champion...Todd Hamilton or Shawn Micheel?
LeFraud
Kind of a derail, but what about US Amateur champions winning the US Open. Only 11 guys have done it, names that include Ouimet, Jones, Palmer, Nicklaus, Pate and Woods.

Ryan Moore and Matt Kuchar are probably the more successful touring pros who also hold a US am title.
billionaire
Better chance than Miller! Always near the top and young enough to win a few. Just think will get a few overtime. Folks are mentioning Whitsitt... Jeesh, Day should be mentioned in the mix... that's all
Harry Stone
AG
quote:
Jason Day should be in this mix
Jason Day has a ton of talent no doubt and I think he's one of the best out there. But, he's been in contention in the majors a lot and hasn't yet pulled one out. I think he will no doubt win multiple majors, but I just don't think he will pull off a career slam. I mean in the history of golf there's been 4 players to do this in the modern era, Sarazen, Hogan, Nicklaus, and Tiger. And there are a ton of amazing golfers that have not, Watson, Palmer, Trevino, Hagen, Nelson, Snead, Mickelson. It's not that easy.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I'm sorry, but Bradley and Simpson do not belong in this discussion compared to those other guys. They're both just one offs.
LeFraud
quote:
I'm sorry, but Bradley and Simpson do not belong in this discussion compared to those other guys. They're both just one offs.

I had to list an American, that at least has one (looking at you Rickie). Simpson and Bradley are both only 29. Zach Johnson didn't belong on this list until 2 days ago...and he's 39. I'd be willing to bet that Simpson and/or Bradley win another major within the next 10 years.
Chipotlemonger
AG
In the next 10 years? But then they're in the same position that ZJ is in now.

Simpson would hosel rocket a driver on hole 72 at St. Andrews into the Dunvegan.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'd like to grand slam Dowd Simpson's *****.
PJYoung
AG
quote:
quote:
Yeah, I can totally see how Whitsett belongs in this thread

I think Ty Tryon is about to break through very soon

Ha I remembered the name but didn't remember why.

What a deal by Callaway!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Tryon
EKUAg
AG
quote:
Somewhat confused about Johnny Miller, thought it was a half-hearted joke at first, and maybe it still is...

I'm guessing Vijay, Ernie and Padraig are too old/past their window? Angel Cabrera?

Guys with one who I think have a good shot, maybe more so than guys with 2:
- Oosthuizen - loss in a playoff at Augusta, finished one shot out of a playoff at US Open
- Rose - seems to have the game to win the three he lacks
- Bradlley/Simpson - gotta have an American I guess

I like Dufner, but he's already 38...

Who's the worst major champion...Todd Hamilton or Shawn Micheel?

Ben Curtis? Although Ben has actually won a couple of other PGA tour events.
billionaire
Does Jason Day belong in this mix now?
HouAggie
AG
Of course...he's only missing 75% of the requirements for the career grand slam.
billionaire
You keep pulling for Whitsitt... I'll take Jason... any Day!
billionaire
You keep pulling for Whitsitt... I'll take Jason... any Day!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.