Personal Lists of Golf Aholes

7,716 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Chipotlemonger
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Danny's comments on the Open thread got me curious.... who is on everyone's personal **** list of professional golfers/golf media/etc.

Mine:
- Bubba Watson
- Tom Watson (the last two years or so have killed whatever I thought of him previously)
- Undecided on Brandel Chamblee
- I'm sure more will come to mind. They're starting to put more bland people on the Golf Channel and eventually a few will piss me off I am certain.
shaynew1
AG
Johnny miller gets under my skin instantly
Ag pride
AG
Honest question, why Tom Watson?

I guess I just haven't paid him much attention until this week
Ervin Burrell
AG
quote:
Honest question, why Tom Watson?

I guess I just haven't paid him much attention until this week

Read the last page and a half or so of The Open thread.
jj9000
AG
My skin crawls when I hear Chris Berman and/or Joe Buck in the booth.

"You folks know the train tracks they built for Chambers Bay allows trains to travel to New York. Speaking of New York, Shark, those 1927 Yankees could be the best team of all time"
ORAggieFan
Tiger has always been #1 for me (please, let's not turn this into a Tiger argument thread, just my opinion)

I agree on Tom Watson

I think Bubba is a jerk, yet I love his game, so I'm mixed on him

Poulter comes off as an ass most of the time
AustinCountyAg
1a.Tiger
1b.Bubba
Harry Stone
AG
DL3
2ndGen87
AG
1. Johnny Miller
2. Tiger

DannyDuberstein
AG
I'd put Watson on there along with Tiger. Hashed out my issues with Watson on the other thread. With Tiger, I think he is largely the product of a crazy upbringing by Earl. Earl created this mental stone cold killer of a golfer (or at least he used to be), but it also wasn't separated from the individual. He just seems to be a cut-throat individual who never really connects with people and the minute he no longer has a use for someone, he drops them like a bad habit and moves on. Helped him become an incredible golfer, but I also think it's working against him now when he could probably use some familiar input to help him find his way (Hi Butch, this is Tiger, can you come over?).

Bubba is borderline on the list too, but I think he's mostly just an immature dumbass. I think he has trouble controlling his emotions, which can get a little ugly when he's frustrated (and funny - like water on the clubface, bro), and he's just sort of socially awkward overall.

I don't like the fact that DL3 often looks like he's smelling a dirty diaper while he plays golf, but I haven't seen a enough concrete ahole stories for him to make my list.

I'm just amused by Johnny Miller. He is pretty much an ahole, but I'm still entertained when he's in full Johnny mode.
ORAggieFan
I'm also thinking Keegan Bradley maybe should be added to this list.

Surprised Reed has at least been mentioned.

For those interested in a detailed look at a lot of these players read "Slaying the Tiger". I haven't finished yet, but lots of info on how these players got to who they are including Bubba, Spieth, Reed, and many more.
Whoop04
Ken Duke. That awkward fist pump he does after hitting a good shot (you know the one) makes me want to choke him.
I full admit that my reasoning is totally irrational nonsense. But nonetheless.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Water on the clubface bro gets me every damn time
AgPrognosticator
AG
Rickey Barnes: Knocked a guy out with an errant drive. As he walked up, he got mad at the gallery for stepping on his ball while they caring for the man with a bleeding head. Barnes' playing partner, (forgot who it was), observed these events and signed a glove for the man whose head was bleeding profusely. After Barnes hit his shot and walked off, he playing partner apologized for Barnes' lack of an apology.

Barnes later apologized after the round saying he had gotten "caught up in the moment".

Grade A jerk.
maroonthrunthru
My #1 A-Hole is Tom Best....

S-O-B won a $10 skins game off me two weeks ago, and gloats about it every day !!!
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Lanny Wadkins can ead.
booradley
AG
1 - Tom Watson. hated him before the ryder cup. hate him more now. will never forgive him for getting gary McCord fired from the masters. I may have been the only person in the world who was happy that stewart cink won the british over him. I have 2 more reasons I can't disclose but theyre significant wrongs to friends of mine.
2 - tiger. latest story on how he broke up with Lindsay Vonn says he's got a bigger problem than the massive problem we already knew about...
3 - rory Sabatini - yes ben crane is slow. but no excuse for playing ahead of a tour player at a tour event
4 - Patrick reed. if 1/2 of what I read is anywhere near true - the guy is on the list.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Jim Furyk (nice guy but damn I hate watching him play).
Google Frank Lickliter's website. Grade A toolbag.
Seems like Mark Brooks by all accounts is an anus.
Bubba seems like a fake.
Ryan Moore because of his dumb Che hat
ORAggieFan
quote:

4 - Patrick reed. if 1/2 of what I read is anywhere near true - the guy is on the list.
To be fair, I think almost all the bad stuff goes back to his college years. I can cut a guy some slack if they truly change. I know I made mistakes in my early 20s.
Bunk Moreland
Personal list:

Watson(but I did want him to win that British in 09)
Woods(but I do want him to come back and win and compete)
DLIII
Bubba

"haters gonna hate" list:

Patrick Reed
Ian Poulter
Keegan Bradley
Jim Furyk.

You can take those or leave those guys, and I'm sure they have many who root for them big time and think they are great, and others who pounce at some of their antics.

We all know the truth is that a larger percentage of golfers than we ever want to believe are probably out and out ********s. But it's odd...even when I know a guy is probably a huge *******, I can still root for them in the right moment.

Also, we need a little brashness on our side of the pond. I think Reed could potentially be our Poulter. The guy that the Euros just love to hate because he shows up on the big stage in Ryder Cups. Americans need a few more like him.
Whoop04
quote:
quote:

To be fair, I think almost all the bad stuff goes back to his college years. I can cut a guy some slack if they truly change. I know I made mistakes in my early 20s.

His biggest mistake is that stupid necklace.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

His biggest mistake is that stupid necklace and those b****, non tailored MC Hammer pants he plays in.

FIFY
Prexys Moon
AG
Tom Watson??? Care to elaborate?? My all time favorite.

Johnny Miller. Ultimate second guessing Monday Morning QB. Easy to take shots at guys from the booth. Gutless, arrogant *****. So glad NBC lost the US Open. But then they gained the British so I guess we'll have to listen to him again.

Phil. I get that he had issues with how Watson handled the RC. But you don't dump them out at the press conference an hour after the matches were over. Classless.

Tiger. I really want him to win, just because it's fun to see him in contention and do well. But if you read Haney's book, you realize what a selfish jerk he is. Kind of sad, really.

Chris Berman on ESPN. Just horrendous.

On an opposite note, most of the LPGA players are just awesome. Took my daughter to the DFW tournament the last two years and we had a blast. They are all so great to the fans, especially girls.

Ag_07
AG
quote:
They are all so great to the fans

Well there's only like 17 of them so...

[j/k...Before I get raked over the coals]
ORAggieFan
quote:
Tom Watson??? Care to elaborate?? My all time favorite.

Go read the last two pages of the Open thread.
Sazerac
AG
is this different than "most punchable"?
http://texags.com/forums/60/topics/2631190
Ag_07
AG
quote:

No not at all. This board is obsessed with a-holes
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:

I'm talking about anyone in golf from announcers to caddies to golfers themselves.
BigHitterDaLama
Keegan bradley and bubba......hands down
AgPrognosticator
AG
quote:
quote:

I think that's because in golf it's easy to form personal bias for or against certain players. It makes the sport more interesting to watch. If I was marginally interested in watching every player in the field perform well, I would never watch. That's why viewership goes through the roof with a polarizing player like Tiger. Most every fan of golf has a strong opinion of him one way or the other, so if your not tuning in to root for him, you're still likely to watch because you want to see him fail.

Prexys Moon
AG
On another positive, I have always liked Justin Leonard. Just like his swing and how he has carried himself over the years. He is in a horrendous slump and I hope he gets out of it.
ORAggieFan
quote:
quote:
quote:

I think that's because in golf it's easy to form personal bias for or against certain players. It makes the sport more interesting to watch. If I was marginally interested in watching every player in the field perform well, I would never watch. That's why viewership goes through the roof with a polarizing player like Tiger. Most every fan of golf has a strong opinion of him one way or the other, so if your not tuning in to root for him, you're still likely to watch because you want to see him fail.

Another thing is how close we get with TV. It's not like you have mics picking up a player cussing after striking out. We hear every word and see up close the reactions. Completely changes things.
gravy97
AG
Adam Scott seems to be an incredibly nice, classy guy... yet, I hate him. I can't fully explain it. Perhaps its the putter. Perhaps it was how he is still often lumped into the 'young guns' or the 'next generation' even though he's 35.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Adam Scott seems to be an incredibly nice, classy guy... yet, I hate him. I can't fully explain it. Perhaps its the putter. Perhaps it was how he is still often lumped into the 'young guns' or the 'next generation' even though he's 35.
When does he cross over and become a "wily veteran?"
shotcaller1
AG
I consciously want to see tiger fall. However, when I watch him play, I catch myself applauding good shots. Maybe I feel sorry for him in a professional golf sense only of course.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.