Golf near Vail, CO

1,957 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by grego
OilManAg91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will be in Vail mid August and am looking for a course to play with my high school daughter and college son. I am playing Beaver Creek golf club one day in a work deal, but from the few pictures I've seen it doesn't look that special. I'm looking for a mountain course with elevation changes and good views since they are used to golf in Texas. I am a member of Club Corp One so I can play the Aspen Glen course in Carbondale but I don't know anything about it. Also I don't want to break the bank so I'm trying to stay under $100 green fee. Any suggestions are appreciated.
92TXAG
AG
pay the $ and play here...thank me later

http://www.cordilleralodge.com
Sooner Born
I haven't played Aspen Glen in about five years but it was an excellent course then. It doesn't have much of the dramatic elevation changes but it's a gorgeous course with some excellent mountain views. It also gets very little traffic so it was always in mint condition with greens that rolled quick.
dbtexasag05
Okay I'll play. Thanks for the invite
Prosper92Ag
AG
quote:
Also I don't want to break the bank so I'm trying to stay under $100 green fee.
Good luck with that!!!

Seriously, though. Vail Golf Course is not all that great, but you do have great views of the Gore Range. I think Eagle Vail Golf Course is a better course, definitely more elevation change and some fun holes. You can play both of those for around or under $100. The only other thing in that price range is Eagle Ranch in Eagle or the course in Gypsum, but I've never played either of those.

If you can talk yourself into spending more, I'll second the recommendation for Cordillera, especially the Summit Course, or either of the Red Sky courses.
ColoradoMooseHerd
For under $100, not going to happen.

A couple courses that I really like that are public and have nice views are Breckenridge Golf Club and Keystone River Course. Now if you want to do it right as said before, I like Red Sky Norman Course.
RustyBV
AG
Played Red Sky - Fazio 2 weeks ago, it was great and worth the price ($250).
chanceg2784
AG
+1 for Red Sky Ranch...pricey but certainly worth it.
OilManAg91
AG
Thanks for the info everyone. I'll think about fitting in Red Sky and Cordillera, but will probably hit Eagle Vail or Aspen Glen for sure.
2ndGen87
AG

07fta07
AG
quote:
I haven't played Aspen Glen in about five years but it was an excellent course then. It doesn't have much of the dramatic elevation changes but it's a gorgeous course with some excellent mountain views. It also gets very little traffic so it was always in mint condition with greens that rolled quick.

Played it about 2 years ago and it was excellent
Pahdz
I played Eagle Vail Golf Club five years ago this time of year and enjoyed it, and the price wasn't insane.
htxag09
AG
How busy are these courses? I'm driving through for work and thinking of playing. Will I be put in a group or play solo? Also, will I be able to get a tee time week of?
2ndGen87
AG
When I played a few years ago, I walked in. No wait, no crowds. Middle of week, afternoon.

I really enjoyed it.
Vail Golf Club
proudaggie02
AG
I recommend Eagle Vail for being a good mountain course with great views, elevation changes, and reasonable price. I've played there probably 6-7 times, and I always enjoy it.

I played Keystone River in June, and I really liked it. I've played Breckenridge 3 times, and it's a nice course.... but much tougher than Eagle Vail or Keystone River.

I expected a lot more out of Red Sky Ranch (Norman) based on the rankings and price, but it was still a nice course. I think it was $165 for twilight, and I actually enjoyed playing Bear Dance (for a $50 twilight) as much or more when I got back to Denver a couple days later.

Beaver Creek was in nice shape, but pretty plain for a mountain course. I've never played Vail, but it looks like very boring from 70.

If you can play for free/cheap at Aspen Glen & are only playing one round apart from Beaver Creek, I'd either play Aspen Glen or Eagle Vail. Eagle Vail is 10 minutes or less from Vail, while the others would be a decent amount further (Red Sky 25 minutes, Breckenridge & Keystone 30 minutes).
OA_02
AG
Same as everyone else here on Aspen Glen, been a long time since I've played it but remember really liking it when I did.

Played Vail last year, it was nice but nothing too spectacular.

I just played Breck yesterday and loved it. Played it several times awhile ago and it was excellent then as well. The course is in great shape, but is definitely a little more challenging than Vail. I prepaid and it was 125 per player which is pretty solid for mountain golf in the morning.
OilManAg91
AG
"If you can play for free/cheap at Aspen Glen & are only playing one round apart from Beaver Creek, I'd either play Aspen Glen or Eagle Vail. Eagle Vail is 10 minutes or less from Vail, while the others would be a decent amount further (Red Sky 25 minutes, Breckenridge & Keystone 30 minutes). "

Thanks for the advice. I can get on Eagle Vail for about $30 pp after 3 pm including cart, and it is close. Aspen Glen is about an hour away, and I can get on for $25 with my club corp membership but my 2 guests (kids) will cost $175 for a total $200. Is Aspen Glen worth the drive and extra cost or should I just stick with Eagle Vail?
proudaggie02
AG
^
I've always paid $50-55 twilight at EV, so I'm guessing you have some sort if connection there?

I've never played Aspen Glen, so I only have pics and reviews to go on.
The D
AG
I'm actually here staying in silvethorne right now in a house we rented. We played 27 at breckenridge yesterday and 18 today at keystone on the ranch course. We teed off 1 on river but got rained out. Playing river and raven tomorrow.

I liked keystone much better than breckenridge. Shape wise they were about the same but keystone ranch layout was much better.

For the breckenridge 9's I would rank them elk, beaver and bear. Bear sort of sucked actually and was boring but the elk was really good.

I'll report back with the other 2 courses after we play them tomorrow. We are actually staying in the raven courses neighborhood and it looks really nice when driving by.
The D
AG
Oh and it's cold out right now, the last couple holes today on ranch it got down in the 40's.
proudaggie02
AG
D,

How were Keystone Ranch and Raven? Did you like River or Ranch more at Keystone?
grego
AG
Second both the Red Sky Ranch courses. Especially the Norman course. I like Breck more than the Vail courses.

Beaver Creek has an incredible first 3 holes, but is very plain after that.

You might also look at The Raven in Silverthorne.

One other in Vail is Sonnenalp. It was my favorite of the courses in the immediate Vail area.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.