Aggie owned pub by St. Andrews?

17,789 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 909Ag2006
AggieBaker09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is the Aggie owned pub next to St. Andrews or is it another course over there? Also, what's the name of it?

TIA
garym2001
AG
The Dunvegan
BreNayPop
AG
Thw dunvegan

Boxcar is the username of the guy who posts here that owns it.

Great bar, great food, nice wife, lots of pictures. He played the war hymn for us and we sang and drank well.

whasty
AG
It's just down the street from the 18th green of the old course.
whasty
AG
Just googled their website. They claim to be 112 yards from the 18th green. The website is full of great pictures of golfers.

http://www.dunvegan-hotel.com/
bagger05
AG
quote:
Just googled their website. They claim to be 112 yards from the 18th green. The website is full of great pictures of golfers.

http://www.dunvegan-hotel.com/
Very easy to get to. FWIW St. Andrews is not a big place at all. You can walk pretty much anywhere. I don't know what the official boundaries of the town are, but I'd say the main part of town is considerably smaller than the main part of A&M's campus (not counting anything west of Wellborn).
'03ag
Actually stayed a night there a few months ago. Nice people all around. Talked aggie football for half an hour or so over breakfast with the owner. The town is indeed small. You can walk everywhere.

Old School Brother
definitely an easy wedge from the 18th green. i drank there for 2 days when i was in town and even hung out with some of the staff there.....all great people. jack and sheena are very nice and welcoming.
Quinn
AG
Everyone knows the name of this St. Andrews bar

quote:
ST. ANDREWS, Scotland -- Some golf journalists are spending the hours before The Open picking the brains of players, gleaning information about what it takes to win this storied event. Others are traversing the venerable Old Course, examining every nook and cranny of the game's most hallowed grounds.

I went to a bar.

But not just any bar. I walked the 112 yards from the 18th green, fronted by the Valley of Sin, to the legendary Dunvegan Hotel, where sin is better measured in peaks than valleys.

Purchased by fourth-generation Texan Jack Willoughby and his Scottish wife Sheena in 1994, the bar was hardly an overnight success in transforming itself from a local tavern that was hemorrhaging money.

He insists there was no watershed moment that helped change the Dunvegan's reputation, but cites the 1994 Dunhill Cup as a turning point. During that tournament, the American team of Tom Kite, Fred Couples and Curtis Strange often frequented the bar. The next summer, Kite helped spread the news in advance of the next year's Open at the Old Course.

Since then, it's become one of the world's most iconic 19th holes, joining the likes of The Tap Room (Pebble Beach), the Pinecrest Inn (Pinehurst) and the Jigger Inn (only a few sweeping 3-woods down the road here in St. Andrews).
mongey donk
AG
quote:
nice wife

MAROON
AG
quote:
Very easy to get to. FWIW St. Andrews is not a big place at all. You can walk pretty much anywhere.
yep the town basically has three main roads. My daughter goes to college there and no one has a car or the need for one.

Jack and Sheena are fine people. If you look on the back wall you will find a pitching wedge with the story about how late in the night a bet was made that the Dunvegan was not a pitching wedge from the 18th green, so they took it to the street to prove the bet. The wedge shot made it to the green from the front steps.

Good article in the NY Times
The Place to be at The Open

Sheena also used to have a Johnny Manziel jersey on the ceiling. Not sure if its still there or not. She comes over every year to see at least one game.
AggieBaker09
AG
Thanks guys!! My father-in-law is over there for The Open and he wanted to stop by.
whasty
AG
Dunvegan just given some love on the ESPN broadcast. They mentioned it's Aggie owned
FirefightAg
AG
MAROON
MAROON
AG
https://vimeo.com/133197855
PJYoung
AG

quote:
Good article in the NY Times

The Place to be at The Open
Ernie Els sounds like a pretty cool dude.

Great article.
bdenby
AG
Sliver....
Mr_mo8268
AG
Ya they are great people. Also played the war hymn, much to my Longhorn Dad and golf buddies' dismay.

Really good steak too...
Project Mayhem
AG
I was in St Andrews in May. The chili at the Dunvegan was delicious....but freezing my a$$ off playing the old course probably added to my enjoyment of the chili.
Nom de Plume
AG
Absolutely should be the Golf forum sponsor.

I can't wait to visit someday.
bqce
AG
Going in November! Very excited.
jja79
AG
Are you planning on playing? I've never been but we have 4 Scots from Renaissance Club in Scotland who work at Houston Oaks during the off season there. They're coming back this year September 1.
bqce
AG
Why, yes I am. My cousin-in-law and I are planning on playing a lot, but most certainly the Old Course.
Sid Farkas
AG
I rode out the wind delay yesterday at Dunvegan. The place was overwhelmed with customers yet managed to keep the brew, wine an whiskey moving. Ten thumbs up for this joint
Van Buren Boy
AG
quote:
I rode out the wind delay yesterday at Dunvegan. The place was overwhelmed with customers yet managed to keep the brew, wine an whiskey moving. Ten thumbs up for this joint
Quinn
AG
quote:
I rode out the wind delay yesterday at Dunvegan. The place was overwhelmed with customers yet managed to keep the brew, wine an whiskey moving. 12thumbs up for this joint

FIFY
bqce
AG
I sent Jack an e-mail yesterday informing him I'd be there in November. Surprisingly, he answered back and said November has cold, short days - perfect for long nights at the pub! I have a feeling this trip is going to be amazing. Now I just need to work on my golf handicap Note the 12 thumbs up!
Agnzona
Jack had dinner at the table next to us last night and at some point Sheena played the war hymn. We sawed horns off with Jack to the delight of the mostly local crowd.
tlfw378
bqce
AG
Just got my tee times confirmed.

23-Nov-2015 10:00
New Course

24-Nov-2015 10:00
Jubilee Course

25-Nov-2015 11:20
Old Course

It's a good thing I've got a bunch of cold weather golfing gear. I'm sure it will be required. And I'm so looking forward to some Chili on Thanksgiving eve!
whasty
AG

Those are the 3 I played when I was there, you'll find them very similar. If you get there on Sunday, remember, the old course is closed to golf on Sundays and becomes a park. You're allowed to walk all over it. I did this when I was there and it gives you time to really checkout all the famous bunkers. When you're playing, you will not have the time to do that.

bagger05
AG
quote:

Those are the 3 I played when I was there, you'll find them very similar. If you get there on Sunday, remember, the old course is closed to golf on Sundays and becomes a park. You're allowed to walk all over it. I did this when I was there and it gives you time to really checkout all the famous bunkers. When you're playing, you will not have the time to do that.

Outstanding advice. Wish we would've done that.
BreNayPop
AG
quote:
When you're playing, you will not have the time to do that.

Oh, I found them all just fine and got plenty of time in them. Yall must be WAAAAY better than me.
Billy'28
AG
bqce, take plenty of golf balls with you. They are very expensive over there. Save weight, and room in your luggage, by not packing to much cold weather gear. The sweaters, and jackets they have over there are awesome, and well suited for the weather. Jack and Sheena, are the best. We were there for the Open this year, and in June last year. Have a great trip!
"86,000 times higher than the highest honored graduate of tu!".........................Forget, Hell!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.