Do did the groove rule change from a few years ago make that big of a difference?

1,252 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by 07fta07
agsalaska
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am buying new irons and probably a new 54 this year and it occurred to me that I have not bought a new club since the rule change. My current irons are WIlson Staff blades that I hit pretty well. But I am just not playing enough nowadays to hit them consistently. Also, my 54 is starting to rust.

So, can you really tell the difference? I dont seem to notice much of a difference in the action of competitors balls around the green or from the fairway.
AggieIce
AG
Balls have improved in around the green as well.

Most amateurs will never notice a major difference
agsalaska
AG
quote:

Meh. I don't know about that last line. Do you say that in the same line of thinking as most amateurs cant tell the difference in golf balls? Because good amateurs certainly can.

I do agree with the first line. My guess was the golf balls adjusted to the rule.
HouAggie
AG
I noticed a huge difference. I've always played shots around the greens with a steep angle of attack and lots of spin. The new grooves basically eliminated that as an option for me. The ball just kept rolling up the face. So I had to adapt and get used to a shallower approach and more roll out. Still learning...
agsalaska
AG
quote:
I noticed a huge difference. I've always played shots around the greens with a steep angle of attack and lots of spin. The new grooves basically eliminated that as an option for me. The ball just kept rolling up the face. So I had to adapt and get used to a shallower approach and more roll out. Still learning...
Thats what I am afraid of.
re_g07
I noticed and still notice a big difference.
aggiedent
AG
Funny you mention Wilson Staff. I hit about two dozen different iron sets this year and narrowed it down to Srixon and Wilson Staff FG v4. After more testing and a weeks worth of deliberation, I chose the Wilson's. They are awesome clubs. Highly recommend you try them. They are blades but are very easy to hit. Great combination of feedback, consistency, and ball flight.
agsalaska
AG
quote:
Funny you mention Wilson Staff. I hit about two dozen different iron sets this year and narrowed it down to Srixon and Wilson Staff FG v4. After more testing and a weeks worth of deliberation, I chose the Wilson's. They are awesome clubs. Highly recommend you try them. They are blades but are very easy to hit. Great combination of feedback, consistency, and ball flight.
Thats what I have. Wilson Staff FG62 irons. And they are solid. You probably have the newer generation.

The problem is with two youngsters and a new job I am know longer playing 6-8 times a month like I am used too.

That being said I played today in Killeen and hit every iron dead solid and more or less dead straight. I had some wedge and driver issues but that is to be expected considering how little I have played. But the irons were nails. It was pretty windy so everything was just middle green. But they worked.
DadAG10
quote:
quote:

Meh. I don't know about that last line. Do you say that in the same line of thinking as most amateurs cant tell the difference in golf balls? Because good amateurs certainly can.

Most amateurs aren't good.
EKUAg
AG
The one change in the wedges that occurred due to the rule change was that many companies spin milled the faces of their wedges to add spin. The grooves are compliant but the additional milling adds some ridges on the face of the club for extra spin.
aggiedent
AG
quote:
Thats what I have. Wilson Staff FG62 irons. And they are solid. You probably have the newer generation.

The V4s are new for 2015. Wilson also has a true muscle back blade but my iron game isn't quite sharp enough for those. The V4s seem fairly forgiving to me. I think all 4 Wilson Staff PGA tour pros have switched to the V4s.
07fta07
AG
I have the new Mizuno wedges and haven't noticed much if any difference from the several year old Mizunos. They change the grooves between their <53 and >53 degree wedges to give more spin off full shots for the lower lofts and more spin of partial shots for the higher lofts. I play a 54 and 58 and really like both. Both of those have the wider grooves. I'd recommend looking at the MP-T5 for your wedge.
agsalaska
AG
Interesting and I appreciate the feedback. I am really weary of changing out my clubs, especially the 54. But the poor thing is rusting pretty bad and is beat to total ****.
07fta07
AG
I was the same way coming from Cleveland to the Mizuno MP-T10 several years ago but the Mizuno turned out to be a much better wedge. The new MP-T5 is just as good. I don't think I'll ever buy a non-Mizuno wedge again.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.