Regripping your clubs

4,020 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by kw1960
khaos288
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've regripped a few here and there, but usually only as they wear on. Do you guys regrip all at once? Do you use the same grip for all clubs or different for irons/drivers?
Mr.Bond
AG
Yes and yes
CapCityAg89
AG
Yes and yes. When I lived in Florida, I was about every 9 months. It was like having new clubs. In Tacoma now, it's been 14 months. The last time I used Winn Excels and they seem to last longer than the Tour Wraps I used before.
bigfoot10s
AG
Just put some Lamkin UTx Midsize on and love them so far. Difference between mid and standard is working well for me so far
Signel
AG
I do them all at once. I usually go with the same feel/brand, but I usually match the club for woods/driver and the irons are all the same. Wedges can also be different.
Hamburger Dan
I regrip once or twice a year. Golf Pride Multi Compound. I like the feel of the cord.
Quinn
AG
Any of y'all use the SuperStroke putter grips? Thinking about switching to one of those.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I did for a stretch. For me, the loss of feel on distance far outweighed any minor gain in keeping the putterface square on shorter putts (which I don't think there was a gain there anyway). My medium to long putting went to crap. Now feel varies from golfer to golfer, so your experience with it might be a lot different.

As far as other grips go, I like the basic GP tour velvet on my irons and hybrids. And I actually use an undersized lamkin on my driver. It gives me greater flexibility on where I can keep the grip in my hand (more/less toward fingers or not), so I can work the ball just via grip vs jacking around as much with my swing. I'll just go more palm for more cut or more fingers for more draw.
Mr.Bond
AG
quote:
Any of y'all use the SuperStroke putter grips? Thinking about switching to one of those.

Yes and I personally love it. Use the 3.0
boy09
AG
quote:
quote:

Yes and I personally love it. Use the 3.0
1.0 here. Used to have a 2.0, I like the 1.0 more.
Willis
AG
I just switched to the Superstroke Fatso 5.0. I've played two rounds so far. I was nails inside 10 feet. Noticeable difference almost immediately (took me a few holes to get used to it). Like the other poster said, my distance control outside 10 feet was all jacked up. I was leaving everything short and then overcompensated and flew everything past the hole. I'm hoping more and more rounds will fix that. I am also thinking I should have started with a 3.0 instead of 5.0. It's a pretty fat grip.
Quinn
AG
Switched to a SuperStroke Flatso 2.0 tonight. Liking it so far, but we will see how it plays on Saturday.
07fta07
AG
quote:

I have the 2.0 and love it. Probably had it on (not this exact grip, but the 2.0) for 2+ years and it's really helped me be more consistent in my putting.
agsalaska
AG
I regrip at least once a year and generally do them all at once. Yes I use the same grip.

Funny thing is I have never been able to decide on a grip and stick with it. Size and wrap is the same but the make and model are almost always different. I like corded grips but in Vegas they were way too rough on my hands. IN fact its about time to do it again.
AgDotCom
I regrip all clubs at the same time unless I put more practice / range time with one or two clubs (driver, wedge, etc).

I normally use the standard Tour Velvet but I have an experimental Lamkin Crossline on my 7 iron now before I regrip the rest of the set.
khaos288
AG
Wow. It's so nice having all matching new grips on the whole set. And the super stroker 2.0 slim is sweet too. Shot 49 getting used to them on 9.
CTGilley
AG
With the nice weather last night I re-gripped all my clubs. I kept putting it off because my grips did not feel "that bad" but WOW what a difference. 4 year old set of irons that have never been re-gripped.
dodger02
AG
GolfWorks has free shipping on all orders when you purchase 8 Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G grips - for those looking to re-grip. I use the white Tour Wraps and really, really like them. They're cheap but quite tacky.

Also, they have a sale on 2013 & 2014 model SuperStroke putter grips from $9.99 to $24.99.

I purchased a SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0 with CounterCore for my new *used* GoLo. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
powerbelly
AG
Just ordered some new Golf Pride Victory Cords that should be here Friday.

I am long overdue for a regrip.
b_rad
AG
From the replies, I assume all of you do your own re-gripping.
powerbelly
AG
Yes. If you have a vice it is really easy to do.
CTGilley
AG
Re-gripping is too easy not to do yourself. It only takes about 5 minutes a club and cost next to nothing. I would never pay to have it done.
jj9000
AG
quote:
Re-gripping is too easy not to do yourself. It only takes about 5 minutes a club and cost next to nothing. I would never pay to have it done.
I agree, it's easy.

But, do I want to jack with something for an hour or two that I could pay someone $10 to do for me?
powerbelly
AG
The main reason I do it myself is because I want it done correctly.

Mr.Bond
AG
quote:

Shoot I can get 3 clubs in 5 minutes. Step your game up
CTGilley
AG
quote:
quote:

Shoot I can get 3 clubs in 5 minutes. Step your game up
You are not leaving enough time for beer in-between steps.
Mr.Bond
AG
I'm already hammered..... I have fantastic time management
AustinCountyAg
I've never re-gripped my clubs, but I have been wanting to try it. I was researching it and found that they now make water activated tape that is supposed to be simple to use? Basically remove old grip and tape, place new tape on shaft, spray with water, slide on grip and let it dry????

is this the basic process? I tried looking for some of the water activated tape at golfsmith last time I was there but they were sold out. I want the process to be as simple and as cheap as possible.
LeFraud
It's the equivalent of eating out. Sure, I could grill a nice steak with all the sides at the house, but that takes time. I can drop off my clubs at lunch, pick them up after work, and not have to worry about it. As long as they "do it right", it's worth the convenience to pay for it.
Ag_07
AG
That's it, and even without the water activated tape you're just putting solvent on the regular grip tape.

Buy some disposable rubber gloves and you're good to go.

The most tedious part I think is getting the old grips and tape off. But still it usually gives me some relaxing time in the garage with some tunes and cold beer.
dodger02
AG
I used to struggle getting the old tape off. Then, I bought a $10 heat gun from Harbor Freight. It comes in handy for lots of projects.
Mr.Bond
AG
Heat gun does wonders
mike_ags_fan12
Just put a Winn Dri trac spiral on my driver. Cannot wait to hit with it
REMARCH11
AG
No, I group in sets, and I use different grips for each set.
powerbelly
AG
Grips arrived today... $5.99 for full cords was a steal

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.