Bryan Muni

2,639 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by cadetjay02
Baby Billy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody played recently? How is it with all this rain?
KaneIsAble
AG
Same course as it was the last time you played. I was there on the 6th and saw drives bounce down the fairways on a couple of holes like it was concrete.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That's all a fine and good, but how much of a ***** was hole 10?

/golf_board
AgDotCom
I had about two hours before dark last week and went to muni to see how many holes I could get in.

The course has lots of grass on it. Best I've seen it in a long time. Lots of mosquitoes and a few cottonmouths coming out of the woodwork, too.

Best shape I've seen it in years. It's still muni, though.
Texas Ag 15
AG
Greens are still a complete wreck like always. Uou pretty much have to gas it on the green to get it close then it'll bounce a hundred different ways. Just go play somewhere else not even worth your time unless you are just a beginner wanting to learn. If you're a serious golfer you'll be frustrated by the first hole fairways look better then previous years but greens are worse then I've ever seen. Last time I played I said to myself I won't play it again even if it is stupid cheap.
Ag_07
AG
Is playing the muni as bad as reading a post with no punctuation?
jackie childs
quote:
Greens are still a complete wreck like always you pretty much have to gas it on the green to get it close then it'll bounce a hundred different ways
in related news, the USGA just announced that Bryan Muni will be hosting the 2020 US Open
jja79
AG
I played TPC San Antonio Oaks course today. I'm pretty sure Muni is in better shape.
cab595
All the rye grass burn off and left with nothing?
jja79
AG
TPC Oaks is a bad goat ranch.
nickstro66
AG
Played it on Friday. The greens were terrible.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Played it on Friday. The greens were terrible.

Do people really ever expect them to be class greens? It's like people expecting a Hopdoddy or Jake's burger at the local McD's.
Thisguy1
I played a couple weeks ago. Greens were extremely soft, as in I felt like I sunk when I stepped, and I'm 175 lbs. Front 9 was recently punched, too.

All of the rain had it pretty green. Really, since they don't have an updated irrigation system the only time I feel like playing there is after we've had rain.

It was the first time I've played out there in a while. I used to work maintenance out there so I played all the time. It was in good shape, but the greens were rough, even for muni standards. I'm also used to playing the Campus Course a couple times a week so the greens probably seemed a lot slower.

Overall, it was in good shape for Muni, and I was +1 through 14 when I left because of a storm.
AgDotCom
I went to the Campus Course late this afternoon but found it closed, so I headed over to Muni and got 16 holes in before dark.

The greens have a ton of grass on them. They would be good, in my opinion, if they cut them a little closer and rolled them. Not sure Muni can or has ever rolled their greens, I highly doubt it.

Otherwise, lots of grass everywhere on the course. The mowed rough is thick. Some of the fairways are excellent, some of them still have those random potholes in them that are soft or hold water. I walked for $5. It's not the Campus Course or Traditions but I had a good time.
agsalaska
AG
I thought the old Muni course was finally done for. I must have been wrong.
cadetjay02
AG
I have never found a course I hate more than Bryan Muni. Freaking Greensworld was more enjoyable than that piece of crap. Terrible layout, not to mention the arsenic back in the day.
AgDotCom
Look, it's not a good course and we all know that. But no need to exaggerate or act like it's beneath all of us to play it. Bob Ellis played there several times a week when the Campus Course was being renovated. He can still outplay 60-70% and probably more of us on this board. I know a member of the Texas Golf Hall of Fame who still plays there occasionally for old time's sake.

Agree the layout is bad but a lot of that was forced by the Villa Maria Rd. expansion / overpass. It was a short course built in fairly crowded space to begin with way back in the day, and equipment evolution has hurt it more.

Like a lot of old public courses it needs a modern irrigation system....that would be a huge change. Then rebuild the greens.

The first thing I'd do which would be inexpensive and fast is to repair the potholes, low spots and bare areas in the fairways and around the greens. Just bring some semi truck loads of the sewer sludge / compost material that the City of Bryan sells to the public. I've used it in landscaping at my house and it's some of the best stuff you could ever find. Spread it out to level the areas mentioned. Spread a couple of inches over the bare, hardpan areas, mix in some bermuda seed in warm weather, and you'll have grass before the rain can wash it away. There may be a super come along and chuckle at this, I dunno. But I've put this stuff on bare areas in other applications with great results. The compost is fine enough to spread evenly and generates enough heat to make the grass jump out of the seed almost overnight. The bermuda will also spread quickly through it, it's great stuff and the city has tons of it.

jackie childs
quote:
I have never found a course I hate more than Bryan Muni. Freaking Greensworld was more enjoyable than that piece of crap. Terrible layout, not to mention the arsenic back in the day.
I have very many fond, but fuzzy, memories of Greensworld
cadetjay02
AG
I'm not saying the course is beneath me, but I never liked anything about it. I grew up in BCS and played at Consolidated. Played muni too many times and don't recall ever enjoying it, even when I played well. The old campus course wasn't great but it was so wide open, at least it could be fun. We practiced out of Pebble Creek so I was a bit spoiled. Once I moved to San Antonio and now the metroplex, there's just a whole new world of quality muni's and public courses. Still haven't played anything worse across the state than Bryan Muni. The Abilene Muni, Maxwell I think, is second worst if I had to rank.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.