Do you track stats?

1,730 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by khaos288
watty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just for the heck of it, I decided to start a spreadsheet tracking a bunch of stats. Basically the standard stuff, fairways, greens, birdies, pars, bogeys, etc., scoring average for par 3/4/5, and up and downs (I track them differently than true scrambling, because sometimes my up and down opportunity doesn't even occur until par is already out of play (I suck)). Anyway, I only have about 6 or 8 rounds tracked so far, but interestingly enough, I do best on par 3s, next best on par 4s, and my worst is on par 5s. That's probably typical for bad golfers. But I would have thought I did better on the par 5s.

My official index right now is somewhere in the 14 range, and my scoring average in 2015 is around 86, with most rounds played on a par 70 course.

Anyway, any other stats I should keep? Maybe left/right misses?
Matsui
AG
yes. i keep my handicap on the golfsmith.com website and i track:

putts
FIR (left or right miss if missed)
GIR (or if missed left or right)
Up and Downs
Sandies
penalty strokes
Matsui
AG
and i track just up and downs in 1 up and 1 down doesn't matter for par or not
powerbelly
AG
putts
FIR (miss L/R)
GIR (miss L/R)
Penalty strokes
diehard03

quote:
That's probably typical for bad golfers. But I would have thought I did better on the par 5s.

It could be course related and the par 5s have tougher greens/approaches or your short game woes just happen to occur more on par 5s. Tracking scoring by par can be misleading.

I'm an awful putter and not a focus of my game right now, so I just note if I am on the green in "GIR", "par-1", "par", or "f***meihatethisgame" for each hole
DannyDuberstein
AG
Tracked stats for a while, but I found it to be too distracting. I play better golf when I just move on and start thinking about the next shot/hole vs. breaking down what I just did.
khaos288
AG
golflogix app

GIR (Left/Right miss)
Putts
Score
handicap
Codeno
AG
I use oobgolf.com to track my scores and handicap for free since I don't have a home course. I also enter hole by hole info so it keeps track of everything like GIR, putts her hole, fairway %. I only look at those stats out of curiosity though. I know I can't putt I don't need to be reminded.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
The Grint. It also gives you GPS data.
Chipotlemonger
AG
When I'm playing better:
Fairway
GIR
Putts

When I'm not:
Just putts
Chipotlemonger
AG
L/R miss would be good to note. Good idea.
proudaggie02
AG
I mainly just make a mental note of GIR and putts.
HouAggie
AG
Just score and bets.
antman8504
AG
I use golfshot lite app.

With that I get:
Fairways
penalties
Greens
putts
scrambling percentage
sand save percentage
shaynew1
AG
quote:
Just score and bets.

^
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
quote:
The Grint. It also gives you GPS data.
I use the free portion of grint and it just verifies my issues on a consistent basis. OK off the tee, not as good on approach, good chipping, good putting. I think it shows what you need to work on pretty well.
boy09
AG
I've tracked one stat my whole golfing career: Hole-in-ones. Currently still sitting at 0...
cevans_40
AG
Seeing as how I don't get paid to play golf, I don't really see the point. Kinda like stats in slowpitch softball.
ORAggieFan
I use Golflogix and it easily tracks GiR, Fairways hit and putts. I've used it for more and didn't really like it.

My handicap site does other stuff like how many pars in last 20 rounds.
ORAggieFan
quote:
Seeing as how I don't get paid to play golf, I don't really see the point. Kinda like stats in slowpitch softball.

Yeah, who would want to get better at this game?
khaos288
AG
quote:
Is it though? The point of slowpitch softball is drinking beer, heckling, and having a good time. Golf is an actual sport and hobby where half the fun is getting better at the craft.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think the rub is that it isn't a requirement to get better (helps some, fairly useless for others), and in some cases, it can be a distraction. Personally, I don't have to write what I'm doing down to tell you where my biggest weaknesses are, where my usual miss is, etc., and I find my time and concentration better spent thinking about my swing and the next shot vs. jotting crap down or pulling up an app.
cevans_40
AG
quote:
quote:

Yeah, who would want to get better at this game?
People who suck, I guess
cevans_40
AG
quote:
quote:
Is it though? The point of slowpitch softball is drinking beer, heckling, and having a good time. Golf is an actual sport and hobby where half the fun is getting better at the craft.
You are doing golf all wrong
khaos288
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Sounds like you're the kind of guy who doesn't win at a lot of things. Slow pitched softball, 2-10 fantasy football team, and second place at checkers make up a lot of your life, right? You have a couple beers though, and it's a good ole time.
Quinn
AG
Does anyone use Nike Golf 360? Looking at either using that or The Grint Pro going forward to track stats.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Never used Nike 360 so I can't help you there. I can tell you Grint offers pro subscriptions at very reduced rates if you catch it at the right time.

For me, stats are as much about tracking progress as anything.
mongey donk
AG
My club has an app for your phone.

It tracks scoring and you have the option to easily track all the normal stats including your driving off the tee. Also has a GSP feature that is just ok. Best thing is your pro gets all your stats soon as you finish the round, if you want him to receive them.

Would not be surprised to see more clubs go to this in the near future.
cevans_40
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Sounds like you're the kind of guy who doesn't win at a lot of things. Slow pitched softball, 2-10 fantasy football team, and second place at checkers make up a lot of your life, right? You have a couple beers though, and it's a good ole time.

Sounds like you made it to the JV squad but the coach probably had it out for you and kept you off varsity. But now you are gonna keep your stats and learn just where you need to improve so you can finally break 80.
khaos288
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sounds like you made it to the JV squad but the coach probably had it out for you and kept you off varsity. But now you are gonna keep your stats and learn just where you need to improve so you can finally break 80.
Varsity, baby. Sounds like you know a lot about JV though. That would explain it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.