Stableford Scoring Strategy

2,840 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by ORAggieFan
ORAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Playing member/guest with my dad in a few weeks. Use stableford scoring where your target is 36 minus course adjusted handicap. My index is a 23, adjusted to course ~26, so I will need about 10/11 points/day, preferably more.

Scoring:
4 points birdie
2 points par
1 point bogey
0 above

Over my last 20 rounds I have:
4 birdies
43 pars
101 bogeys
77 doubles
72 others

I generally play white tees, slightly easier slope, than we will be playing from the blues.

Two day tourney, after day one they take your points and expected points and adjust expected for day 2 to be the average.

Overall I'm thinking my strategy is not much different than normal, except with either putts for par or thoughts on up and down for bogey. For someone like me, bogey is a friend. Curious what others think.

Good news is playing a course I grew up playing (never well) and my dad has played about 1500 times.
CapCityAg89
AG
Huge, huge premium on being on the green in under par. You'll only hit 5-6 greens in regulation, so make damn sure you get on with that next shot - there is no penalty for double, so focus on bogie and let par happen "by accident". Good luck!
gravy97
AG
Just make more birdies and you'll be all set
Marauder Blue 6
AG
quote:
77 doubles
72 others
Clearly minimizing these is most important. What's leading to these? Off the tee, approach shots, short game, putting?
ORAggieFan
quote:
quote:
77 doubles
72 others
Clearly minimizing these is most important. What's leading to these? Off the tee, approach shots, short game, putting?

All of the above, except putting. Since taken lessons those numbers have improved.

I plan on a ton of short game practice. It's the easiest for me to fix in a short period of time. Comes (and goes) fast for me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.