Lesson question

1,075 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Scimitar
Scimitar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A bit about my "game". Bought a cheap set of clubs (full set of irons and woods) at that golf store on Briarcrest over a decade ago. Took a few lessons, played the BCS munis for a few years, and then started moving around and was lucky to play once or twice a year since.

Recently joined a club here in NY to basically start from scratch and get serious about it as I shoot triple digits. I've played 5 rounds in the last few weeks, with 2 lessons so far...third is on Wed.

So, my question to y'all, is if there is a time to step back from lessons and just play/practice on range? Or is it do that and also take as many lessons as you can afford before stopping? Looking at a weekly lesson schedule for the first 5 or 10.

Learning a lot reading through this forum, too. Appreciate the insights.Thanks!
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't think there is necessarily a "right" answer. I think the main key is that you practice at least once in between lessons. So if you hit the point where you aren't finding time for practice in between lessons, I'd slow down on the lesson pace.

Personally, I'd probably go to 6-8 weekly lessons with 1-2 trips to the range and an occasional trip to the course in between each lesson. Then I'd probably pull back to a lesson every several weeks (or monthly).
Scimitar
AG
n/m...answered....thanks Danny
Aggie1391
When practicing in between lessons, make you sure practice correctly. Don't go out and pound balls, set up a routine that you do before every shot.

It may also help to video tape yourself if you can to make sure you aren't getting any new bad habits into your swing.
DannyDuberstein
AG
By practice, I mostly mean at least one range trip. That's where the repetition of what the instructor is teaching you gets ingrained into muscle memory most effectively. You need both the volume and the quicker repetition vs. what you can get on the course.

That said, playing on the course when there is little traffic (like twilight) and you can play multiple shots from the same spot is a good way to transition your range practice to the course.

ORAggieFan
For me, I find I prefer lessons at 2-3 week intervals. Gives me time to work on what we worked on and have more input what I need to work on and what we've fixed.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I agree with this with an established player. But IMO someone that is new needs a little more frequent reinforcement in those early days. The whole swing feels so ****ed up to a new player that I think they need someone to steer them back in the right direction before they spend 2-3 weeks practicing and ingraining something screwy.
Quinn
AG
I think I took 6 lessons when I started, going to the range in between each lesson to practice, so similar to what you're doing. I would finish your initial set of lessons, then keep practicing and playing some before deciding if more lessons are in order right away. I think its good to get out on the course and see if what you are doing is really helping your game or not.

ORAggieFan
quote:
I agree with this with an established player. But IMO someone that is new needs a little more frequent reinforcement in those early days. The whole swing feels so ****ed up to a new player that I think they need someone to steer them back in the right direction before they spend 2-3 weeks practicing and ingraining something screwy.
Fair point here.
Quinn
AG
Oh and we need to play next time you're around.
Scimitar
AG
Would be my pleasure, old friend.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.