what do you personally need to improve?

2,702 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by fta09
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The "what did it take" thread demonstrates that all of us have different weaknesses that we need to improve.

What is your weakness and what are you working on? What do you think is holding you back the most?

If you see something on this thread that you have personally overcome or made great strides on, I highly encourage you to offer support and advice.

My issue right now is a full swing issue. I have a chicken and egg thing going with the clubhead getting outside the ball and early extension. I'm not sure if the early extension is making my club get outside the ball, or if the club getting outside is coming first and I'm standing up as a means to recover and get the clubhead to the ball.

With this swing fault I can pull it, pull-hook it, slice it, thin it, or chunk it, It also usually kills my power, so I have that going for me which is nice.
jonj101
I saw this thread in another golf forum I just joined (THP). Figured it was time to move since Im not an official Ag.

Anyways, I really need to work on getting off the tee. My setup when driving is inconsistent, and I havent gotten to the point where I feel comfortable. Ive started reverting back to the over-the-top open clubface slice delight swing, and its killing my improvement.

I injured my wrist so Ive been off for a few weeks, but as soon as Im back I plan on putting in work with that. Club Chip is in September, so hopefully I'll have some time to make some type of improvement and actually contend for once.

ORAggieFan
Is everything other than inside 5 foot putts an acceptable answer?

In seriousness, I have to work on a lot, but I think a lot of it is tempo based. I'm working to keep consistent tempo and slower backswing. Another thread from earlier this week has me saying "waterrrrrr melon". We will see how it works.
Aggie369
AG
-Tempo and trying to have minimal swing thoughts. I can get mechanical when I start hitting it poorly.

-my lower body races ahead and I leave my driver left or I miss a green left

Shot 72 last week and shot 80 yesterday....good tempo vs poor tempo....stupid game

HouAggie
AG
I'm not drinking heavily enough on the course. When I was younger, I drank like a fish and bombed it off the tee. I've lost significant length over the past 5-10 years and the only thing I can pinpoint that has changed is my level of drinking.
dcrewint
Iron play. I'm good with driver/wedges but I hit maybe 3 iron shots per round that I'm actually proud of. I'm generally right below or above 80. Would love to see if things would change if I could hit my irons.
aggiebrother33
For me it is wedges, for as many times I hit a wedge a round I should be better. My length is by far my strength but wish I consistently hit my wedges inside 10 feet. Only hit 2 gir in 9 holes Tuesday and nothing was over a 56* except both par 3's.
1208HawkTree
AG
My strength and flexibility. I've become a fat, stiff, old man in the last few years and my game has started to show it. In terms of my actual golf game, I'd say consistency off the tee and 100 yds in, chipping especially. I can't count how many times I've nearly missed greens or hit it on the opposite side of the green from the pin with a sand wedge. Absolutely burns my ass.
fletch01
AG
Putting, by a wide margin. As a five handicap, it's embarrassing to often make half of your shots on the green. Tee to green I'm solid, but I lose my head when it's time to putt. If I could putt decently, then there's no doubt I'd be teetering on being a scratch golfer. Anywho, I know I know, first world problems. But it's so dang frustrating.
bagger05
AG
quote:
Putting, by a wide margin. As a five handicap, it's embarrassing to often make half of your shots on the green. Tee to green I'm solid, but I lose my head when it's time to putt. If I could putt decently, then there's no doubt I'd be teetering on being a scratch golfer. Anywho, I know I know, first world problems. But it's so dang frustrating.

Is it reading greens or your stroke?
Ezra Brooks
AG
I need to play more.

Nearly all of my weaknesses would get better if I could just be out there more....I've only played once this year.
hot dog
AG
Need to figure out why I'm hitting everything off of the toe.
Dr T and the Women
AG
my driver. i am short off the tee and am not particularly accurate. I can't figure it out because I hit my irons proportionately longer and am fairly athletic.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
fletch01
AG
Mainly it's my stroke. I definitely need lessons. I know I move my head too much, which I'm sure is the reason I can't keep my original line. My distance control is also poor.
JarAG2007
AG
Off the tee. I can shoot upper 70s or lower 80s on good tee days, which are rare these days, but lately i am lower 90s because my driver has been so bad.

Working on not leaving the driver open at impact and inside out swing. I try to tell myself that the distance doesn't matter but hit it in the fairway. I used to barely fade the ball and this year its more of a slice so thats what i am working on. Fairways=GIR
terradactylexpress
My swing is a mess right now. Finally got my setup a little better, I have always stuggled with a super flat swing plane. Causes lots of topped shots and just general crappy play
Elmo Lincoln
AG
The list is long. I can manage most of my game, but 100-150 yards is a damn disaster for me right now. I miss way too many greens and have far too many long putts from this distance.
Willis
AG
Consistent iron play. I'm good to very good off the tee. I'm pretty good around the greens (because of my creappy iron play). I'm a decent putter most of the time.

Kind of like the poster above said, I may have three iron shots a round that I am happy with. My iron striking isn't good, but boy, when it's bad, it is really bad.
Texas Ag 15
AG
Concentration. For me I have the tendency to take some shots off mentally which will lead to my misses. Trying to become scratch and mental game is my biggest problem. Have to learn to take my time no matter what the last shot was and to picture what I want to happen breathe and fire away.
powerbelly
AG
Driver.

I struggle off the tee way too much.

Reading greens would be second.
bagger05
AG
quote:
Reading greens would be second.
Take an AimPoint class. Probably the best money I've ever spent on my game.
shaynew1
AG
I just need time to play
antman8504
AG
time to play would help...I have gotten in only 6 rounds this year. That is really not enough golf to improve.

But the big thing for me is my grip...I have known that my grip especially with my right hand (right handed golfer) is too strong for a while now. This seems easy to fix but I have always struggled with my grip. I have gotten around it by not letting it get "too strong" and making other compensations. But the last round I had was awful and I am going to commit to getting my right hand more on top of the club in a more neutral position.

Every time in the past when I tried to weaken my right hand on the range, I could barely hit the ball. The release feels so different this way. The only time I could hit the ball was when I re-gripped strong at the top. So I got a grip reminder put on my 6 iron like a true beginner. I have went to the range one time with it and was pleased with the results. I topped the first few shots, but then started to make great contact. Every shot was high and right, which is what I expected. I just need to straighten it out some, but I am loving the higher trajectory that I am getting. As my grip grew stronger over the last couple of years, I noticed my ball flight lowered so I am happy to see that I can still hit high irons.

A grip change is a swing change, so let the journey begin.
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
I need to quit using offensive slurs against myself during each round.
bagger05
AG
I always try to take a Kuchar-esque attitude out on the course. I rarely succeed.
Quinn
AG
Getting out of sand traps

Chipping

Long putts
saltydog13
AG
Big miss with the driver and that thing between the ears that plagues golfers. The mental game has always been my biggest weakness though
khaos288
AG
The fade I hit with the driver. If it's a straight fairway, or dog leg right, I can make it work. If I play a dog leg left I have to hit the hybrid off the deck to keep it straight.
Texas Ag 15
AG
Used to be a problem I had. I don't know exactly what side of the tee box you place your ball but for for those that call for a right turn go as much to the left as you can. That way you can increase the chances to hit the fairway. Just something to try
khaos288
AG
quote:
Used to be a problem I had. I don't know exactly what side of the tee box you place your ball but for for those that call for a right turn go as much to the left as you can. That way you can increase the chances to hit the fairway. Just something to try

If it's left to right I can usually push it far enough to get around a turn. It's the turns to the left that give me problems
Pahdz
Going through a similar change now with my grip. I have eliminated my left misses but until I practice more I opened up a whole new can of issues.
1208HawkTree
AG
quote:
I'm not drinking heavily enough on the course. When I was younger, I drank like a fish and bombed it off the tee. I've lost significant length over the past 5-10 years and the only thing I can pinpoint that has changed is my level of drinking.

Welcome to golf after fatherhood...
mongey donk
AG
Driving, tee to green and putting. Other than that I am pretty solid.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Getting out of sand
Controlling fade off the tee.
boy09
AG
I've been incapable of hitting a full iron shot for over a year now. I got the S-words real bad...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.