Traditions

5,751 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by jja79
1990AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Getting a chance to come out in July on our annual trip from GA back home to Texas. Going to play with my oldest son and looking very forward to it.

Has anyone stayed in the casitas out there? Worth it?
jja79
AG
Yes
garym2001
AG
Casitas are fairly expense, but they are super nice.
Texas Ag 15
AG
The casitas are very nice you will be very impressed. Course is in great shape right now considering all the weather we have gotten. The range will begin renovation soon so it will be under construction when you come just a heads up. Definitely a fun course that you will need to hit it straight otherwise you're in a for an interesting round.
1990AG
AG
Thanks guys. I can make our tee time on Tuesday.

Will the driving range be completely closed during renovation?
jja79
AG
Email I got said you'll still be able to warm up during renovation.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Definitely stay at casitas. You will enjoy it.
BEaggie08
AG
edit: my warm-up cage vs range opinion was not really relevant to OP - removed.
1990AG
AG
Either way, we're fired up to play it.

My 16 year old went -2 through the last 6 holes yesterday....means I'm GETTING STROKES!!

Thanks everyone for the help. Looking forward to getting back to Texas for a few days!
SLAB CITY AG
Awesome course, can be had. Wider fairways but small greens and deep bunkers. Love the layout.
Texas Ag 15
AG
Biggest thing that will help is the tee boxes will be sloped towards danger areas so make sure you are well aware of that each hole. Especially on holes 3-6 you can get in trouble there if you don't pick the correct side of the tee box
fitntxaggie
AG
Great course and fun to play! Bunkers and water hazards are very well placed. Don't be scared to go 3 wood off the tee a lot. I forget the hole number but it's a par 5 that dog legs right. Big ravine right at about 265 yds from the tips. Snagged a lot of my drives when I used to work there.
CRC2006
Make sure you play the renovated campus course while your here too! It is a vast improvement from previous course and its a lot of fun!
1990AG
AG
I've heard a lot about the new campus course and would like to play it also, but don't think we'll have the time.

That old track was awful!
jja79
AG
I'm a member at Traditions but with the AJGA tournament going on had to play the campus course. It wasn't worth the twilight rate.
19AG84
AG
Traditions will be in great shape by July. The AJGA Tournament is hurting the course right now. These kids can play, but the greens at the end of the day look like everyone has dragged their feet. Jesse (greens keeper) will get them back in shape. Expect the greens to be fast and true. The range will be set up with a net to hit into. They are starting that renovation on June 22nd.

My college roommate and I used to rent the Casita's and come up and play on the weekends from Houston. We now both live on the course. The Casitas have everything you need with full kitchens, etc.

Great but challenging course. Approach shot accuracy is a premium, or you will need a great many golf balls. Fifteen holes have Turkey Creek involved. Jack Nicholas did an amazing job designing the layout.

Enjoy your time at Traditions!!!!
1990AG
AG
waited too long...Casitas are full....
billionaire
What dates are you looking at? I know people. .. maybe I can help.
1990AG
AG
tee time is 1PM on July 10th. Driving in from Nac that AM. Thanks Billionaire, but no worries, we'll stay somewhere in town.
1990AG
AG
woops...Rib corrected me....we play on the 9th at 1PM...

Casitas available...which one to choose...8 or 20?
billionaire
If available, take 20. Its bigger than 8.
1990AG
AG
Done... thanks!
1990AG
AG
we're all set. we play at 1:00 on the 9th and are a twosome if any of you members are around that day, come on!
jja79
AG
I know 20 was recommended but I'd stay in 8 if it were just me and one other. It's the most private Casita.

I'm an out of town member so I only play once or twice a month but it was in great shape today.
billionaire
Casita 20 is unique in that it was the Southern Living Concept Casita... they are all great!
1990AG
AG
Thanks guys. Were booked in 20 and looking forward to it
1990AG
AG
well fate has gotten me....

got a call yesterday evening that they are aerating the greens today....

Can any of you members advise if it is still worth playing on the 9th?
jja79
AG
The email they sent out said they were doing the front Monday and back Tuesday do that leaves 10 days before you play. Maybe one of the supers will reply.

They won't be fully recovered though I'm sure.
1990AG
AG
quote:
The email they sent out said they were doing the front Monday and back Tuesday do that leaves 10 days before you play. Maybe one of the supers will reply.

They won't be fully recovered though I'm sure.

While I realize they wont be fully back, on average in your experience, do they recover enough in that time to be playable?

I guess the real question is....if the greens are playable, albeit far from perfect, is the course still worth playing?
FishyLamar
AG
The greens should be more than fine by then. The rest of the course is in excellent shape!
stick93
AG
I wouldn't worry about the greens. 10 days of healing is a long time this time of year. You should be good to go.
1990AG
AG
Thanks very much guys. I was very excited to play it and was disappointed by the call.
Mr. Nussbaum
AG
Stick is right, 10 days is a long time this time of year; especially with hot temps and afternoon showers. Golf course is in outstanding shape and the greens should be pretty close to their perfect selves.
1990AG
AG
Thanks for the help guys. Looking very forward to it!

Piney Woods CC tomorrow for old times sake and then on to Traditions Thursday afternoon. Both with my 3 hcp 16 year old.

Any advice on what tees to play? He's a 3 index and I'm an 8.5? Should we bite off the tips?

Cannot wait!
mt3950
AG
You are both good enough players to enjoy it from the tips. Some of the par4's will be long-ish, and a couple of long par 3's from there, so if you guys aren't long hitters you should play the 1 ups. Great course. Enjoy.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.