buying first set of clubs

5,255 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by WHOOP!'91
Gigemaggies123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy,

played first 2 round of golf with my uncles and friends clubs and really enjoyed it.... now im looking for my own set on craigslist

any advice one price range, age of clubs, brands, etc i should look out for?

im really looking to get something cheap/replaceable because i anticipate if i stick with the game im gonna want cool new clubs so i can just throw this set away

TIA
Whoop04
Something like this. http://www.globalgolf.com/golf-clubs/1019951-taylormade-burner-10-iron-set/used/

Spend some money on lessons soon to keep from developing bad habits. Some people will advise you to get fitted, but unless you aren't around average height, it's a waste of time until you figure out the basics of a swing imp.
Whoop04
To expand my thoughts, I think you are doing it the right way by buying cheap clubs, and planning on getting rid of them after about a year. That will give you time to figure out what you like and how much effort you want to put into this game. Pick up a used driver, 3 wood, and 21 degree hybrid at a golf shop, plus a putter and you will be set.
Aggie369
AG
^^
I agree....get a few lessons and get ur set up and grip right.... Practice more than u play and spend time chipping and putting. Even having a lesson on chipping and putting (most people don't) is a good idea so u don't start with bad habits

Oh and welcome to the most frustrating game on earth....u will hate it immediately
DannyDuberstein
AG
Name brand but used is definitely the way to go. Callaway, Taylormade, Ping, etc. are all solid brands that offer game improvement/newbie options. Also, I'd look into picking up a used driver, 3W, and hybrid. I'd probably look to spend about $200 on the irons and $150-ish on the driver/3W/hybrid combination.

As a beginner, I'd look for small group lessons for new golfers that are weekly over the course of a month or two. Courses often offer these specifically for new golfers. You can save decent money that way while still getting the right foundation that a 1:1 would give. Then go to the range at least once in between each lesson.

In 6 weeks, you'll still be very rough, but you will be making good progress with the right foundation to get a lot better over the first 1-2 years of playing the game.
bagger05
AG
If recommend eBay over craigslist personally. Better selection and easier to shop for.
Gigemaggies123
Thanks for the quick replies

One of the main reasons i havent sought private lessons yet is i don't have any clubs yet, i figured it would be better to look into that after i have clubs.

the other is money which leads me to my other point. That set of TM irons looks sweet but i think with that and a bag, drivers, hybrid, putter it will probably be closer to 400$, and I know my wife will not let me spend that much right out the gate lol. I was thinking about a set for closer to 100$.

The stuff I saw on craigslist around that range is either pretty old name brand stuff or fairly new stuff i've never heard of. Should i go with one of these two or another option? How long do golf clubs last?

Thanks for the replies
DannyDuberstein
AG
Personally, I would go with older brand name stuff. It's going to be hard to do the whole thing for $100, but if you can nudge to $200, I think you can land some decent stuff.
ORAggieFan
Get something like some old Pings, even the Ping Eye 2 is still a great club. The good thing about those is the resale would be the same later on, so it's like renting for free.
Gigemaggies123
quote:
Personally, I would go with older brand name stuff. It's going to be hard to do the whole thing for $100, but if you can nudge to $200, I think you can land some decent stuff.
http://austin.craigslist.org/spo/4986159569.html
http://houston.craigslist.org/spo/5039967162.html
http://houston.craigslist.org/spo/5006581700.html
http://houston.craigslist.org/spo/5025634313.html

do you think any of these would be worth buying? I think i may be able to convince the wife to go up to 200 if needed, but im a year out of college with a mortgage and two car payments lol

spent a bunch of money recently on power tools and shes kinda putting her foot down now haha
Gigemaggies123
also found these two

http://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/compset-2015-mens-12-piece.html
http://www.budgetgolf.com/Tour-Edge-Backdraft-GT-Combo-Set.html

the callaway set is closer to the 200 bucks you were saying but the other one seems like it has everything i need but idk anything about that brand
mt3950
AG
Of all of the sets you've posted, I would say the Adams/Taylormade combo is the best bang for your buck. You can get most of your money back out of those when you upgrade...provided you don't bang them up.
DannyDuberstein
AG
yeah, I would agree that the Adams irons and hybrid probably look most appealing out of that bunch, although I also think the TM driver and 3W are mostly junk. But at least functional junk that was okay in its day. Drivers and woods tend to reach junk status long before irons.

If you want to do some deeper research, I'd look for Ping i3 (either O-size or i3+), Ping G series (G2, G5, etc), Callaway X-series (anywhere from X-14 to X-20 to get down in your range), and even the Ping Eye 2 mentioned above. Funny that OR mentioned those, because when I saw this thread prior to OR's suggestion, I did a quick ebay search on Ping Eye 2's to see what was out there. Those are all-time classics that are good clubs and can be had down toward your price range. There are some to be had on ebay for less than $100.

When it comes to a driver, I'd at least look for something that came out in the 460cc titanium era. You can find something for $30-50.
Gigemaggies123
thanks for looking thru those guys!
mt3950
AG
No problem buddy. Welcome to the addiction.
Gigemaggies123
found a guy selling:

adams a3os irons 7-sw
adams a3os hybrid 5,6
adams a4 hybrid
king cobra hyper 3,5 wood
random no name driver he had lying around
random putter
3 taylor made headcovers
and 3 adams hybrid covers

over than the crappy driver worth it?
mt3950
AG
Price?
mt3950
AG
I'll say that $125 is probably a fair price on the irons and 5-6 hybrids. The 4 hybrid is probably worth $45ish. The 3-5 woods are worth about $20 each.

If you can get everything he has for around $175ish I'd say it was a good deal. $200 I'd say it was an ok deal. Over $200 and I probably would keep looking.
Gigemaggies123
quote:
Price?
sorry forgot that part lol

$100
mt3950
AG
^ that sounds like a great deal provided everything isn't completely beat to ****.
Gigemaggies123
ok cool, ill check it out and hopefully its in good condition.

Thanks again
DannyDuberstein
AG
yeah, that sounds like a decent starter set at a solid price, if in decent shape.
agracer
AG
Calloway Strata - $189

Everything you need for <$200....very good starter set of clubs.

Also check Sports Authority and their Tommy Armour brand. Not it's not top of the line but it's more than good enough for a beginner and should last your a few seasons until you decide if you want to pursue the game more seriously. Also, Sports Authority always has 15-20% off coupons on line which you can use for just about anything.
West Texan
AG
I'll just piggy back in this thread:

So I'm in the same boat as the op in that I played the other day and now want to pick up some cheap used clubs. However, I'm 6'5" and I don't want to look like I'm using a child's set of clubs. Any help or suggestions?
Whoop04
You are going to need clubs that are about +1.5". You might also need mid/large gripes too.
jj9000
AG
quote:
mid/large gripes
I give these out for free.

Several per round, actually.
Gigemaggies123
quote:
I'll just piggy back in this thread:

So I'm in the same boat as the op in that I played the other day and now want to pick up some cheap used clubs. However, I'm 6'5" and I don't want to look like I'm using a child's set of clubs. Any help or suggestions?

While I was looking on Craigslist during my search I found a set of callaway stratas that another poster mentioned earlier in Houston and had an inch added I think. Ad may still be up

Edit: link http://houston.craigslist.org/spo/5040355947.html
Gigemaggies123
Nm
Gigemaggies123
Nm
Whoop04
Ha, yeah, me too. This does remind me of the first time I heard a GRIP being referred to as being "tacky", and thinking they were talking about how it looked. It seemed to come up alot about grips, and I was a little confused before going, "ohhh, tacky!".
mt3950
AG
I would caution against assuming you need extensions on your clubs. Chances are you probably do, but the measurement is really based more off of arm length than it is height. Stuart Cink is 6'5 ish and plays standard length clubs.
If you do get extensions in your clubs, don't go over 1". anything over 1" changes the dynamic of the club pretty significantly.
Quinn
AG
I agree. For reference, I'm 6'4" and I only got .5" added bc of long arms.
West Texan
AG
Thanks for the input.
CapCityAg89
AG
More specifically, it's the ground to palm distance. I'm 6' and are extended a half inch because of short arms.
MarylandAG
Found this thread.....I'm in the same situation as the OP, a cousin introduced me to the game and we have gone out to the range and played a par 3 course and a few rounds at regular courses, I have been using an older set of his. I really enjoy it, I just like getting out of the house, yes it is a frustrating game but for me it's a nice outlet from work and a great stress reliever. I enjoy it to the point where I know I will play regularly, since I'm just starting out I'd like my own set of clubs but I don't want to go spend an exorbitant amount of money until I get better and get a few lessons behind me. I'm looking for a decent starter set, I'd like to stay away from the craigslist route simply because it can be a hassle to drive out and look at clubs when in reality I'm not seasoned enough to know the difference between good vs junk clubs. For my set of circumstances it is easier to go to a store and start out that way. I came across the set linked below and wanted the boards opinion, am I wasting my money on these or are they a good starting point? are they decent reputable clubs?

http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30148795/zevo-z450-17-piece-full-set

For reference, I'm 5'5" tall and I live in the Cypress, TX areas, so it would be an easy drive to go out to the Golfsmith on I-10 and Fry. The Golfsmith website also has a set of SnakeEyes (which I believe is their house brand) the set is half off but the reviews on those are less than stellar in comparison to the Zevo set linked above. In advance thanks for the help/opinions.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.