Screwing with your opponents

3,000 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Gil Renard
AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Like it or not, it happens. Little here and there.

I'm not saying coughing in the backswing or stepping on their ball, putt line etc..

Just some mind games you play. And you don't do that with random people. It happens with my old regular 4 some all the time.. and a group of people we play with..and we're all competitive.

What are some of your potent 1 liners that screw up other golfers? Typically little compliments here and there has a negative effect on some golfers who receive them. Also, a small seed of doubt about anything pertaining to swing, equipment, etc can screw up someone's game.

It's a fragile game.

Ag_07
AG
Same with my normal 4some. Stuff like...

Well that's a three putt. I got this hole

You really hitting a 5-iron? You're only 200 out

Ah... Way right. I like my chances.

We got this. He doesn't have this shot

You're in between clubs aren't you?

This is to halve the hole. Don't leave it short.
Aggie1391
Did this one in high school. If you're walking, walk in front of them, and gradually slow down

Also, in match play, make them putt out everything, even 1 foot putts. But then randomly give them a 4 footer on the 12th hole
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Best thing I have found is back handed compliments like, "dude you are really ripping it today, I see you have solved your left miss. How did u do that"
Never fails the next driver is a pull hook.

Or how did you get over the yips? I can't chip for **** today...usually right before a chip in a tight lie...
The Milkman
AG
"Ya know I had never noticed that thing you do at the top of your swing... not sure how you do it but works for you."
Icecream_Ag
S
"you need to buy more beer, I just took your last one" generally works pretty well.
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
My favorite line is when a buddy is about to attempt a putt. In my best "quiet golf announcer" voice, I say "The first openly gay player on the PGA Tour". Very simple, but always effective. I'd never do this as they're about to hit a tee shot or iron shot.
watty
AG
quote:
My favorite line is when a buddy is about to attempt a putt. In my best "quiet golf announcer" voice, I say "The first openly gay player on the PGA Tour". Very simple, but always effective. I'd never do this as they're about to hit a tee shot or iron shot.

For some reason this made me crack up. I think because it was completely unexpected. I'm going to start using that.
Pignorant
AG
Righty before they tee off on a hole ask "Do you breath in or out when you swing?"

Gets them everytime.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
Righty before they tee off on a hole ask "Do you breath in or out when you swing?"

Gets them everytime.
guy tried that with me once upon a time.

I simply responded "Yes" and proceeded to his my right into the middle of the fairway. The guys on that hole were kinda pissed, but I thought it was a beautiful pull hook.

the guy that said it thought it was funny until I pointed out that I had done that on ever drive, and I was still in play while he was in the woods.
AgPrognosticator
AG
I just comment on the condition of the greens. That's almost always enough to get in their head. "geeeeez, the greens are slowwww today" or "I can't believe how grainy these greens are". Guys will get up there and blast the ball 5 feet past the hole.

Subtle, but quite effective.
khaos288
AG
I'm generally the worst in our group, but lately have been getting really competitive with the rest of the scores. Now, whenever I win a hole or two early, I make sure to say something like "welp, looks like I finally passed you guys." or "How did I win that hole with a bogey? Are you sure you didn't hit a birdie?" That one works especially well if they hit a double obviously.
1208HawkTree
AG
I don't really talk smack much on the course, but in the right company, it's definitely there among all of us. I try to pick the right moments to speak up, though, it's not something I'll do constantly for 18 holes. If it's a friend of mine, I like "hit it close, sweetheart," when they have a makeable putt to win or push a hole. Typically I like to let my own game do the talking. Knocking it inside of an opponent's good approach or making a putt to win or cover theirs does more than talking, IMO.
AgDotCom
Best I've heard, when determining the honor on the next tee after you've birdied a Par 3:

"Did any of you make a one on that last hole?"
AggieDruggist89
AG
Awesome stuff
mavsfan4ever
AG
quote:
Best I've heard, when determining the honor on the next tee after you've birdied a Par 3:

Hahaha this is good.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Doesn't really affect their play, but when with friends I like to say something like "come on draw a little" when they snap hook one and it's obviously heading for the water/trees, or "get right ball" when they hit a bad miss to the right, or "sit down, check" when they hit one fat. They do it to me too. For some reason, it always cracks me up because we say it with a straight face and it sounds like we are being genuine unless you see the actual ball flight.
ORAggieFan
One of our favorites is a running joke with my group. Months back Rick was putting a new ball in play on a Par 3 over water. He said "guys, I'm playing a Callaway" and proceeded to dump it in the water. Now, any time Rick is playing water we ask if he's playing a Callaway.

Pahdz
quote:

A lot of this stuff reminds me of the annoying **** a coworker says when we play, like he tries SO hard to get in your head, but this is great.
bdgol07
AG
A simple reminder that there is water in the direction they are hitting.

"Hey man, just to let you know, there's water to the left of the green"
dcrewint
I've got a buddy who will hit a good shot off the tee and then say something like, "Man, this would probably be the easiest hole in the course if not for that water on the left. " or "This hole is so pretty, I hate those houses are so close to the OB stakes."
2ndGen87
AG
I always talk about how thirsty I am around any water hazard
agsalaska
AG
' You're still out.'

That one never fails. In fact if you hit and are still out all ready golf play ends and you have to go again.

JYDog90
AG
"Wow, you are one of the longest drivers of the golf ball I've ever seen." He'll be swinging out of his shoes the rest of the day.

I love what Mickelson says he does some times. He'll put one of his green jackets in his golf bag and say, "Guys, is it a little chilly?" And he'll pull out his jacket and put it on and say, "hey, if any of you are cold, I've got two more in there."
TexAgs Legend
You know what screws with your opponents more than anything on this thread? Playing better than them.
JYDog90
AG
Wow. You ARE a legend.
AgPrognosticator
AG
quote:
You know what screws with your opponents more than anything on this thread? Playing better than them.
Knew this kind of reply was going to pop up sooner or later.... I bet your friends just love you and your attitude.
Gil Renard
AG
What. A. Bad. Ass.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.