Iron Extensions vs. New Longer Shafts

2,819 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by jj9000
TKNR_Ags_co21
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got an amazing deal on the Taylormade Rocketbladez Tour Edition Irons when they originally released a while back. Part of the deal was that I was forced to get them in standard length. I used to play with +1" irons before, now my irons are consistently off. Played my dad's +1" irons the other day and hit them great!

Question: What's your experience with adding shaft extensions to your irons vs. just buying completely new longer shafts??

New shafts would be more pricey, but do shaft extensions prohibit the club from vibrating/flexing correctly??
antman8504
AG
I got my sand wedge extended a 1/2 inch so it would match the length of my PW and GW. I wanted to lengthen the SW for full shots. Seems to be playing to the same flex to me.

BigHitterDaLama
Get em extended and save the money. If you do, go steel on steel and not the graphite/plastic places like golfsmith uses for graphite extensions/putter extensions. I was told by a buddy who is a club fitter extensions in irons are fine up to an inch......anything longer than that, go new. That could be false or just a matter of opinion.
TKNR_Ags_co21
AG
quote:
I was told by a buddy who is a club fitter extensions in irons are fine up to an inch......anything longer than that, go new.
Good advice, will see if I can find anything like that on a blog or something
jj9000
AG
It would be probably be cheaper for you to dump those clubs and buy RBZ Tour irons with +1" shafts already in them than it would be to drop new shafts into the heads you have.

4-PW

Shafts - $100 used (probably KBS Tour)
Grips - $50-$70 (if they can't save your current grips)
Labor - $15-$20 per club...so ($105 - $140)
Ferrules - $7

I suggest taking the irons to your local club-maker and asking them to insert extensions (should be $3-$5 per club).

Also, make sure you ask them up front if they can blow your current grips off so they don't assume you're buying grips from them and cut them. They should be able to save the grips you have and re-install them post-extension.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.