Canyon Creek CC

1,686 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by bdenby
ChoppinDs40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
anyone here a member?

Thinking of pulling the trigger soon on the YEX membership.

I live in central plano and it's about 4 miles from the house. Have a buddy on the new membership council and he said they're about to increase initiation dues.
tamu2009
AG
I don't have first hand experience there, but have you played the course? I've heard from several people they the really didn't care for the layout at all and conditions have been suspect at times. I wish I could say I've played it, but I haven't.

I'm a member at Prestonwood for the last and really like it. They put a lot of money into both clubhouses and courses and are about to kick off the second phase of construction at the creeks course. That could be another option for you at a little less than Canyon Creek.
ChoppinDs40
AG
I believe the costs are about the same. Friend says it's in the best shape it's been in years (thank you rain). They're set to redo the bunkers.

I've heard mixed reviews on prestonwood creek (tight, not overly fun, etc). It's also a bit more out of the way. If YEX membership allowed me to use both the Hills and Creek, I'd go that route.

Maybe I should go check out the Creek? I'm just not overly fond of having to cruise down Preston if I want to go walk a few holes after work.
tamu2009
AG
Yeah.. my YEX allows both Creek and Hills. I actually really like the creeks course. It is pretty tight, but there is a good variety of holes and the greens are great. There are a few holes that are quirky on both courses, but I enjoy both the courses.

I've never gotten to play CC, so I wish I could give some actual feedback on their place, but for the price I pay (I got a great deal after ClubCorp bought them, no intitation 306/month no F&B min and 50% food), I love what I get. The practice area is lacking at both places, but phase 2 is to move 9 green and 1 tee at the creeks to expand the driving range and add a new practice green behind the range.

Call them up and they should get you on to try the courses out.
ChoppinDs40
AG
did you have to choose one as your "home" course?

I plan on getting the YEX ONE so that I can play the upper tier courses as well.

With YEX you can play all the lower tier (CC, prestonwood creek, prestonwood hills, trophy club, etc.) but if it's not your "home course" you pay the green fee also?

If they are the same cost to me to play both Creek and Hills, that changes things.

reduced green fee*

My point is, are you paying cart fee only at both Creek and Hills?
tamu2009
AG
Yes. I'm only paying cart fee at both.

I think I had the option to join only one of them, but that option was cheaper than what I chose.
ChoppinDs40
AG
do you have the ONE add-on as well?
tamu2009
AG
I do. I haven't used it much.
ChoppinDs40
AG
$306 for both courses and the ONE?

That's pretty salty.
tamu2009
AG
That's what I got when I joined last year. It might be a little more now, I know my dues went up 5% this year (which I think is normal).
DadAG10
Have been at Canyon for 5 years.

When I joined I didn't think I would like playing the same course all the time, but with the ONE I get to play probably 15-20% of my rounds elsewhere and Canyon has grown on me.

The condition of the course has always been very good, the previous grounds keeper I believe is now at Prestonwood. He did a great job getting us through the drought and the rain this year has really helped.

Greens have always been topnotch year round. The course is not long, around 6400 and par 70, only 2 par 5's. The 3's are always a challenge.

The range has been improved with both new turf and mats.
MGA has multiple events during the year that always fill up.

If I had any complaints of the fellow golfers, it would be that many don't know how to fill divots, rake bunkers, and leave the course as good or better as they found it. There are also a few that think carts should go everywhere regardless of the conditions, but I think this happens in many places.

The club has a good mix of younger and older, lots of families. Great tennis program and remodel on the pool this year.

I knew several golfers there prior to joining and have expanded that to 20-30 that I enjoy joining for a round, but it doesn't take long to find others to play with.

As to dues, plan on $100-200 a month extra for carts, food, beer, and event/tournaments. It adds up quickly.

ChoppinDs40
AG
thanks for this. I plan on getting out and playing all 3 fairly close to one another and going from there.
cmac94
AG
I'm a member at Blackstone CC in Colorado. Club Corp bought them last year. I was a little skeptical at first but the ONE Membership benefits are fantastic. I love the access to other clubs when I travel. It's been a great experience so far. I've been very pleased with Club Corp as a whole.
bdenby
AG
I've been at Canyon Creek for about two months. PM me. We are always looking for new people to play with. I have really enjoyed it so far. I played PWCC Creeks several times as well and enjoyed it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.