My wife is interested in learning to play

2,205 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by LeFraud
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife has mentioned a few times that she "should probably learn to play golf" for work. She's an engineering consultant and they do lots of work with lawyers and occasionally people go play golf. Friday, she brought this up again but for the first time she was saying that she WANTED to learn to play rather than just saying she "probably should." Apparently she talked to a lady at a conference who said she picked it up for her career but found out once she started playing that golf is just a great game and is tons of fun.

I didn't waste time. I told her that I still had three lessons left in a package I bought and she could have those. The instructor I work with is actually more focused on working with youth players so I think it will be a good match for her since he's used to working with beginners.

I'm excited. I really hope that she can have some success and will enjoy it. If there's anyone out there who has a set of ladies clubs collecting dust in their garage then let me know.
Harry Stone
AG
DONT DO IT. say bye bye to guys golf...forever
jja79
AG
Or it might double his golfing opportunities.
bagger05
AG
quote:
DONT DO IT. say bye bye to guys golf...forever

My wife and I are both pretty independent people. There is basically zero chance that she will be interested in playing the quantity of golf that I do, and I don't usually play "guys golf" very often anyway. 99% of the time I go play I go out for the purpose of playing golf. My rounds where I smoke cigars, drink, and swap crass stories with the fellas happen about once every two years.

I agree it would be different if I had a regular game with a regular group and she wanted to tag along. Definitely don't think that's the case, though.

Also I like hanging out with my wife. We don't share a lot of hobbies aside from Aggie football. Back in Denver we used to ski and were in a bowling league. I'm not a big hiker but we would do that every once in a while. We both like our time apart but I think we'd both welcome having more opportunities to hang out together.

If she can get past the initial learning curve and get to where she can shoot better than double bogey golf then I think she will like it for the same reasons I do. Nice to be outside and it's a challenge that you can never totally conquer. Plus she has trouble shutting her brain off and that's one of the best things about golf: while you're playing golf it's tough to think about much else.

Maybe she will like it so much that I can talk her into a membership at DAC.
JohnLA762
AG
Bagger05,

I have a set of Taylormade steel 200 woods (1,3,5) and Callaway x-14s irons (4-SW) in a bag I am looking to get rid of. I am not sure how new of a set you are looking for, but this is a solid beginner set. Shoot me an e-mail at username@yahoo.com if you are interested. Thanks!

I am located in CS.
14TheRoad
AG
I got my wife into playing a couple of years ago and have no regrets whatsoever. I still play with buds as much as i used to but now also play some rounds with her (which i enjoy). It has also made her interested in golf so watching it on tv is mutually enjoyable and we also go to an LPGA tournament and at least one MGA tournament a year. I could probably go on an on. A bit of advice, let her pick her own stuff that she likes and get her a couple of lessons so she has some early success.

WHOOP!'91
AG
agfan2013
AG
quote:
My rounds where I smoke cigars, drink, and swap crass stories with the fellas happen about once every two years.

Wait, I thought this was the only acceptable reason for playing golf? Yall actually go play rounds where this isnt happening or you are actually trying to shoot a low score? You people are weird.....
proudaggie02
AG
^
Sounds crazy to me too.
watty
AG
I'm like bagger. I play to score. Every time. I take it seriously. It's impossible for me not to. I play for the pursuit of improvement. Not that I don't enjoy it and don't have fun with guys between shots, but it's all about the golf for me. I have no problem with people drinking and enjoying it however they want to, but for me, I am playing competitive golf every single time I'm on the course.
CRC2006
Katerina Bruner is out at the Campus course working, she is a two time All American and played on the Texas A&M golf team from 2010-2014. She would be a good one to work with, another female.
rsemingson
My wife got interested 2 years ago. Got her some lessons from our Pro. After that it was either too hot, too humid, to windy(long hair) and when she asked me "what are the rules and etiquette?", I told her to stick with laundry and ironing. Enough said.
cheeky
AG
quote:
I'm like bagger. I play to score. Every time. I take it seriously. It's impossible for me not to. I play for the pursuit of improvement. Not that I don't enjoy it and don't have fun with guys between shots, but it's all about the golf for me. I have no problem with people drinking and enjoying it however they want to, but for me, I am playing competitive golf every single time I'm on the course.
good luck breaking 100
watty
AG
What's that supposed to mean?
bagger05
AG
Yeah what a confusing response...
LeFraud
Slow day at the office?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.