Got fitted for a driver

8,461 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Chipotlemonger
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have never hit on a machine and had a club built for me so I went to Club Champion and got fitted. Pretty good experience and saw some pretty improved results with what they put me in.

But the club was quoted at $850. I can't justify spending that much on one club.

Are there any options on where I can find the same equipment for cheaper?
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
sounds pricey...I got fitted into top of the line driver (Titlist) for about $500 at my club
HouAggie
AG
Which head/shaft combo did they suggest?
Ag_07
AG
Mizuno JPX 850 with a Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 7.2 XS

Hit really well and saw some pretty impressive results, but jeez I could buy a whole new set of irons for $850 and save the strokes there.

I was ready for $500 maybe $600 but not $850.
agracer
AG
If you want to cut strokes, spend money on lessons.
I'm always amazed that people spend more money on a single club, and more time at the range with that club when the majority of strokes occur within 150 yards of the hole.
Aggie369
AG
Practice? U talkin bout practice?
bagger05
AG
quote:
I'm always amazed that people spend more money on a single club, and more time at the range with that club when the majority of strokes occur within 150 yards of the hole.

Agree that when spending money on your game the best investment is almost always lessons.

However, if you're at the range I've got no problem with someone spending more of their time on driver than other clubs. Arguably the most important club in the bag.
BigHitterDaLama
Piece it together on EBay. Not really mizuno knock off drivers so no worry there. Can save significant money
BigHitterDaLama
quote:
quote:

Agree that when spending money on your game the best investment is almost always lessons.

However, if you're at the range I've got no problem with someone spending more of their time on driver than other clubs. Arguably the most important club in the bag.
Gotta disagree.....putter is the most important club imo
HouAggie
AG
Driver definitely has the most impact on my game as far as strokes gained or lost by any single club. I realize everyone is different though. Most people are likely more consistent with their driver than I am.
jj9000
AG
quote:
Are there any options on where I can find the same equipment for cheaper?
Yes. $850 for a Driver is insane.

Head + Stock Fuji Speeder - http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1177812-last-item-available-mizuno-jpx-850-driver/

Shaft - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Titleist-915-D2-D3-Driver-Shaft-Fujikura-Motore-Speeder-Tour-Spec-7-2-X-Flex-913-/131510326220?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9ea053cc

or

Shaft - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujikura-Speeder-Tour-Spec-VC-7-2-X-Callaway-Adapter-/221771977584?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a2a3d370

If your local clubmaker cant save the Mizuno tip, buy this and take it to him to install:

Adapter -

http://www.hirekogolf.com/replacement-mizuno-jpx-850-sleeve-adapter-335-black-w-out-bolt.html
bagger05
AG
quote:
Driver definitely has the most impact on my game as far as strokes gained or lost by any single club. I realize everyone is different though. Most people are likely more consistent with their driver than I am.

I'm with you.

For me great putting might take me from an 87 to an 83 but bad driving can take me from an 87 to a 95.
Aggie369
AG
Were u able to hit the driver outside as well?
Ag_07
AG
That's exactly what I was looking for. I saw those on EBay but couldn't find the driver for a decent price. I'm on it

Thanks
93MarineHorn
A bad day with the driver and I'm in the mid 80's to low 90's. A bad day with the putter and I'm in the low to mid 80's. The driver sets everything up and is the most important club in your bag. It should get a lot more practice than any other club except the putter. I've never seen anyone putt the ball OB.

I realize I just said the putter should get more practice time, but only if you have more time to devote to it. It's not physically demanding to roll putts for 30 mins to an hour and you can do it for free.
CapCity12thMan
AG
quote:
The driver sets everything up and is the most important club in your bag.

um, what?
bagger05
AG
quote:
quote:
The driver sets everything up and is the most important club in your bag.

um, what?

At pretty much every level of golf, at any point on a hole the best predictor of your score is how close you are to the hole.

GENERALLY

You are going to make more putts from 8' than you will from 10'.

You are going to get the ball closer to the hole chipping from 5 yards off the green than you will chipping from 10 yards off the green.

Hitting approach shots from 130, you will get it closer to the hole than if you're hitting approaches from 150.

You will get shorter approach shots hitting it 260 off the tee than you will hitting it 245.

It all starts with driver. Hitting that club well will get you a shorter approach shot, which will give you shorter putts and easier chips, which will give you lower scores.
Ag_07
AG
I didn't mean for this to be a debate on what is more important.

I'm hitting an old out date dead driver. I didn't want to just walk into Golfsmith and buy the coolest looking driver there.

I went and got fitted to find out the best club for me to maximize what I get out of the driver. I don't expect it to be a quick fix or replacement for lessons. I simply wanted to do some legwork and research before just buying a driver off the rack that isn't the right fit for me.

Thanks to those who contributed useful info and helped me out. For those who want to argue carry on!
BigHitterDaLama
My thinking is if you are playing a 6400-6700 yard course, you can hit 3 wood and hybrids probably on some holes. Driver isn't always a necessity. Good to great putting is always a necessity to score low.

HouAggie
AG
Eh, still depends on your game. I've shot under par with terrible putting before. I've never shot under par with terrible driving. A miss with a driver is just so much more penalizing than a miss with a putter.

"Terrible" obviously being relative to your handicap.
HouAggie
AG
And Ag_07, I say just buy the club. You're more likely to regret not buying it than you are going to regret spending a little more than planned.
Aggie369
AG
Could u hit the driver outside or do they just let u hit it on the launch monitor?
Ag_07
AG
Launch monitor only. Their thinking is they want to take all variables out of play to get the best numbers possible. Things like wind, humidity, and grass conditions can all skew the numbers slightly.

I tried not to look at flight and distance when judging the drivers but focused more on the stats the machine was spitting out.
Aggie369
AG
I'm heading to cool clubs in a couple in Dallas but liked that I get to hit on launch monitor then take a few clubs to hit outside and see how the ball flights
Aggie95
AG
The putter is the most important club, but the most expensive putters are about $200 and you can get good ones for much less. Plus, there just isn't the level of adjustment (shaft,loft,etc) that exists for drivers (unless you're a top 50 player in the world)

So for $ sakes, the driver is the most important purchase you'll make in golf clubs.
ORAggieFan
quote:
The putter is the most important club
The statistics prove otherwise.

Overall order of importance:
-Approach shots
-Driving
-Tie chipping/putting

That would make the Driver the most important single club.

Checkout the book Every Shot Counts if interested in extensive breakdown of shots gained and how the knowledge can improve your game.

To simplify the concept, if you could either replace your putting or you driving with the best PGA Tour player at either of those, which would it be driving or putting?
DadAG10
Got a fitting for a putter and they suggested I get a $400 putter.

jj9000
AG
quote:
the most expensive putters are about $200
CapCity12thMan
AG
quote:

-Approach shots
-Driving
-Tie chipping/putting

whose statistics are you looking at
ORAggieFan
quote:
quote:

-Approach shots
-Driving
-Tie chipping/putting

whose statistics are you looking at
Cumulative stats for both amateurs and pros. Really worth reading the book as I won't do it justice.

Consider this, the average tour player makes 50% of their putts from 8 feet. The absolute best around 57%. The great putters just don't gain that many strokes on the field compared than tee to green.
jonj101
In relation to the sidebar:

http://www.topendsports.com/sport/golf/important.htm
LeFraud
quote:
Got a fitting for a putter and they suggested I get a $400 putter.

I had a buddy do this recently, the best part was when he told me they charged $50 for the fitting, in addition to the $500 price tag.
Aggie369
AG
U don't have to buy the putter from them....u can go buy a used one or one similar
Chipotlemonger
AG
I would much rather take a tour pro's driving and long game off the box over putting.

I could make a 10 foot putt on a green at Augusta.

I could not get to the 13th green in two to save my life.
Pahdz
Speaking to my game specifically, my sporadic nature off the tee with the big stick is a huge cause of my higher scores. I don't even care about distance that much, just give me something I can get straight and about 240 and I could probably shave 10 strokes easily off my scores.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.