Raveneaux CC Members

14,998 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by nickel
spark09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are there any Raveneaux members on here interested in playing a round with a hacker? I joined somewhat recently because it's close to my work, the junior membership is cheap, and I figured golf would be an entertaining hobby for me to take up in my late twenties. Let me know if you're interested.
nickel
I'm a member. Play when I can -- 4-8 rounds per month. nickel_aTm (at) yahoo
12 index
spark09
AG
E-mail sent.
AggieC07
AG
Raveneaux is right by where I grew up - took a couple of tennis lessons there.

Last I checked they were getting rid of one of the courses and it was being overgrown. Whats the latest on it?
spark09
AG
They are down to just the old course. I'm pretty new to the club, so I don't really know what went down/what people expect for the future of the new course. I would be interested to hear about it if anyone out there does know.
AggieC07
AG
I wonder if there was any big uproar from the people who lived in the mansions across Cypresswood when the course was grown out and not being cared for.
jja79
AG
My understanding is that they had some serious financial trouble and couldn't keep it open.
LeFraud
quote:
E-mail sent.

Yet another successful texags hookup
agracer
AG
Their was supposed to be condos built in the now overthrown section.
maroonout32
AG
I was contemplating joining Raveneaux sometime in the next year. What's the cost nowadays for a junior membership?
Aggie369
AG
Junior membership cost?
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
And how does it compare to Northgate?
Cost?
Course?
Other club amenities?
Aggie369
AG
I might go by today and get pricing
JYDog90
AG
quote:
Their was supposed to be condos built in the now overthrown section.

Yeah, the reason it's overgrown is because the mansion folks did not want patio homes or condos so it's now green trails.
maroonout32
AG
Any word on the membership costs at ravenaeaux these days?
Aggie369
AG
Ended up not making it out there...still interested in price though....
aggiedent
AG
The individual who managed Raveneaux also was managing Houston National. Essentially he was borrowing (stealing) money from Raveneaux to keep National afloat. When the powers that be at Raveneaux figured out what he was doing he up and disappeared. Still don't think they know where he went.

The financial issues at Raveneaux led to the idea of selling land to a developer for a great deal of money. That initiated lawsuits from the Mansion's owners and a MUD district. The developer, for reasons I don't remember, tried to bypass the MUD they were in and negotiate with another MUD. Didn't fly in courts. Hence the project never got off the ground and is still in limbo.

Meanwhile, membership at Raveneaux plummeted further contributing to their financial problems. It is starting to rebound but will never be the same again.
AggieC07
AG
Growing up in the area, Ravenauex and Champions were the two elite Golf Clubs. Kind of sad to see Rav having these issues.
nickel
@spark09 My bad, I gave you wrong order for the e-mail. It's actually aTm_nickel (at) yahoo.
nickel
@Sooper Jeenyus
quote:
And how does it compare to Northgate?
-- I haven't played Northgate in a couple years, but if Raveneaux is a 6 then Northgate is a 3 to me (speaking only to the course and conditions). At least Northgate has 27 holes.

Cost?
-- I don't know exactly, but if you're under 35 I'm guessing less than $1000 initiation and ~$350/month. Play all you want, there are not cart fees. That amount would include a $40 monthly minimum on F&B.

Course?
-- Raveneaux is an old school layout with pushup greens. Can get in trouble quickly. Greens poor right now as some fungus came back and has hurt several greens.

Other club amenities?
-- They have tennis, a pool, and fitness -- none of which I've used.

For those who like to practice, there are options. Obviously, there's the driving range and putting green. Two more greens for short game -- one for greenside-type chipping and one for longer (20-40 yard) pitches. Also a wedge range with flags roughly 30/50/70 yards out.

I like the staff and service a lot. Food? Not so much. But don't really care. I joined for the golf, not the food.

aggiedent
AG
quote:
Growing up in the area, Ravenauex and Champions were the two elite Golf Clubs. Kind of sad to see Rav having these issues.

In fairness, Champions is an elite golf club, Raveneaux was/is an "anybody could join" golf, tennis, and pool club. Jackie Burke would smack you with an 8 iron for putting Raveneaux in Champion's class.
AggieC07
AG
quote:
quote:

In fairness, Champions is an elite golf club, Raveneaux was/is an "anybody could join" golf, tennis, and pool club. Jackie Burke would smack you with an 8 iron for putting Raveneaux in Champion's class.
In fairness, you're right. I was able to play Champions many more times than I did Raveneaux - so I guess the allure of the over sized club house got to my head while writing that post (and the fact I've only played Ravenaux a handful of times compared to Champions). Haha.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Appreciate the info. To clarify, you're saying you enjoy the course at ravaneaux more than northgate? Are those numbers a 1-10 scale? The rest seems pretty close to what I'd expect; can you compare the "other amenities" (pool, tennis, restaurant) to those at northgate? Pretty sure northgate requires a cart fee, btw. At least they did when I looked into membership.
nickel
quote:
To clarify, you're saying you enjoy the course at ravaneaux more than northgate? Are those numbers a 1-10 scale? The rest seems pretty close to what I'd expect; can you compare the "other amenities" (pool, tennis, restaurant) to those at northgate? Pretty sure northgate requires a cart fee, btw. At least they did when I looked into membership.
Regarding Northgate, I've only played there a couple times over the years. While I like that they have 27 holes, I didn't care for the layout. Just didn't seem that "fun" to play. Maybe just personal preference or ****ty course conditions turned me off.

The last time I played Northgate, ironically, was only a couple weeks before the first time I played Raveneaux and I loved Raveneaux compared to Northgate. Raveneaux's not long, but you've got to think your way around the course. Well designed with placement of trouble, some tricky greens, etc.

Northgate's monthly dues are much lower but, as stated, you're paying cart fees each round. The only "facilities" comparison I could make are practice areas -- which are better in condition and options at Raveneaux. No idea about Northgate's pool, tennis, etc.

Lastly, Northgate's location would scare me a bit. Located off 1960, traffic can be an issue. Raveneaux's more detached. Go check them both out and see for yourself. You're certainly going to pay more at Raveneaux, but it's worth it to me.
dke51773
AG
If you want to try out Northgate please hit me up. I actually like the layout better than Rav. NG is in great shape right now, and if under 35 very inexpensive. Main reason I didn't join Rav as the guest passes are almost $100. I buy guest passes in bulk at NG and they cost me about $40e. My cheap friends would never pay $100. 1960 does get backed up, but I come the back way from Cypresswood/TC Jester
dke51773
AG
And Nickel took me out to Rav to try it out. Great time
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
I will certainly consider. I live in Terranova West; so, I'm not terribly concerned with the traffic.
Aggie369
AG
I'm gonna check both places out for sure...thx for info

If anyone knows initiation/monthly dues for someone under 30 I'd appreciate a PM
spark09
AG
Aggie369, what's your email? I will send you the numbers I know.
Aggie369
AG
E.msmith009 @ gmail
kelkel25
quote:
Jackie Burke would smack you with an 8 iron for putting Raveneaux in Champion's class.

nickel
Correct. Cypress or Jack still piss on Raveneaux.
Aggie369
AG
Went by to check it out today...going to Northgate tomorrow to compare

Raveneaux for me (under 30) is $185 a month plus a $45 minimum on food/beverage

So basically $230 a month for golf, golf carts, swimming pool, tennis, gym, and all club house amenities

AggieC07
AG
quote:
Went by to check it out today...going to Northgate tomorrow to compare

Raveneaux for me (under 30) is $185 a month plus a $45 minimum on food/beverage

So basically $230 a month for golf, golf carts, swimming pool, tennis, gym, and all club house amenities

Whats initiation?
Aggie369
AG
It was 500 but they are offering 350 right now
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.