Fox's US Open crew

3,174 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by DOCAG79
Big Cat `93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
US Open broadcast team

One interesting one to me: Gil Hanse. One not so interesting: Charles Davis.

Weiskopf may be their Azinger or Wadkins when it comes to player criticism.
ORAggieFan
The US Open will be very interesting this year. I know a few people that HATE Chambers Bay. Others love it. It's a links style course and from the haters the greens are absolute garbage. It's also a challenging course for spectators and supposedly one of the reasons they are allowing phones.

I'm guessing we hear lots of complaining from the field on the choice.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
LPGA stars Natalie Gulbis and Morgan Pressel

I'm in
bagger05
AG
Has Gulbis ever done anything other than have big jugs?
Icecream_Ag
S
couple top 5's in the majors, but she's apparently fallen from top 15 in the world to over 200

***edit*** short answer is no, she hasnt.
tamu2009
AG
Why do people hate it and why are the greens garbage?

From the picures I've seen it look like it'd be amazing.
gravy97
AG
Put me in the group that loves it! I played there last summer... and didn't make many putts... but I don't think it was greens fault. I thought they rolled great, I just had trouble getting the right read/speed combo.

The same grass is on the whole course... fairways and greens (fescue I think), just mowed at different heights... and perhaps it is different enough from bermuda or bent that people hate it.
07fta07
AG
quote:
The US Open will be very interesting this year. I know a few people that HATE Chambers Bay. Others love it. It's a links style course and from the haters the greens are absolute garbage. It's also a challenging course for spectators and supposedly one of the reasons they are allowing phones.

I'm guessing we hear lots of complaining from the field on the choice.

It's going to get tons of complaints by the players. It's an awesome course though. Played it last year and will be there for the Friday round of the Open. Can't wait. But man that's going to be a ***** to walk.
WHOOP!'91
AG
Since when has that been not good enough?
Bunk Moreland
Yeah, I'm failing to see the problem in regards to Gulbis. Maybe she can lead some stretching exercises on TV to show folks how to properly warm up before a round.

and the obligatory....

ORAggieFan
As mentioned, the grass being the same likely contributes. There is no real formal green, fringe, rough. I was told they roll pretty bad.

People who have hated it include my brother in law (former asst pro at Sahalie where the had the Sr. Open), my sister (played collegiately) and some dude I was paired with at Torrey who played a tourney there. He was about 60 and a very good player, loved to play competitively. I played with him about 4 months ago and he thought they'd have to completely redo the greens to be playable for an Open.

My dad's buddy (happens to be friends with Spieth's caddie) loves it. Now my dad is pissed he has a bad impression before getting to play it. I do believe Spieth's caddie had experience there from before he was on his bag, so that may be interesting.

It is very interesting the amount of hate I've heard on it. Far above any other course. Those who don't like it say it's beautiful there, just don't like the course. To be fair, my bro-in-law doesn't really like links golf. That said, I don't think many Americans do and strange to play our championship on a links course.
CapCityAg89
AG
Awesome course but I'm in the seeming minority that think the pros will kill it. In June, the wind will likely be down and the course should be pretty soft (although it's raining today, the spring has generally been pretty dry). If the course is not hard and fast, these guys will just play target golf over the top of all the sand and rough. I'm going to try and play there in the next 2-3 weeks so we'll see.
CapCityAg89
AG
Speith's caddy worked there and met Jordan at the USAm there. Got married there last summer too so would be surprised if he didn't like it.

Oh and greens very true the 3 times I've played it.
ORAggieFan
Yeah, I got the whole story from his caddie's buddy on how they met at an amateur event. One of Spieth's buddy's couldn't play and had used Michael before. Spieth needed a caddy so his buddy set them up. Dude goes from a 6th grade teacher caddying in the summer for fun to carrying his bag, originally just for a year.....nice career move.
WHOOP!'91
AG
I will listen to whatever this nice young lady has to tell me.

07fta07
AG
quote:
Awesome course but I'm in the seeming minority that think the pros will kill it. In June, the wind will likely be down and the course should be pretty soft (although it's raining today, the spring has generally been pretty dry). If the course is not hard and fast, these guys will just play target golf over the top of all the sand and rough. I'm going to try and play there in the next 2-3 weeks so we'll see.

They're going to let it dry out, which it should, and will be able to play it 8,000 yards if they want. That fescue grass will be grown up and it'll be a nightmare if they want it to be (which I bet they do). The greens are very tough to read, so that'll also contribute to higher scores. It's gonna be fun
agsalaska
AG
quote:
quote:

They're going to let it dry out, which it should, and will be able to play it 8,000 yards if they want. That fescue grass will be grown up and it'll be a nightmare if they want it to be (which I bet they do). The greens are very tough to read, so that'll also contribute to higher scores. It's gonna be fun
They wont have any control over whether it is dry or not. If memory serves it has no irrigation at all.

I played it two years ago and had an absolute blast. It was one of the most unique golf experiences of my life. It was a lot of fun and if I lived there I would play it a lot.

I dont have any idea why they have to put the US Open there. There are literally dozens if not 100 better options out there for the US Open. I really do not like much about the USGA, and this is a good example of why. ITS THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!! Not an experiment. Geez.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Spoken like someone who only likes wood stock on their guns
07fta07
AG
It's going to be a nightmare as a spectator. If you've been there, it's obvious. No parking anywhere near onsite and a two lane road in/out.
I loved the course and am looking forward to seeing the pros play it. I played lights out there, although our forecaddie should get 90% of the credit. He got a 73 out of me that could have been low 90's without him. It's not an easy course. It was very receptive when we were there but they baked it out during the 2010 U.S. Am and it was lightning greens/fairways. That's where it gets tough. Regardless, it's going to be fun to watch the pros ***** and complain because we all know they will.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Strange to see current LPGA players like Pressel and Inkster a part of the group. Inkster is the Solheim Cup capt as well so she has a busy summer.
agsalaska
AG
quote:
Spoken like someone who only likes wood stock on their guns
Amen
agsalaska
AG
quote:
It's going to be a nightmare as a spectator. If you've been there, it's obvious. No parking anywhere near onsite and a two lane road in/out.
I loved the course and am looking forward to seeing the pros play it. I played lights out there, although our forecaddie should get 90% of the credit. He got a 73 out of me that could have been low 90's without him. It's not an easy course. It was very receptive when we were there but they baked it out during the 2010 U.S. Am and it was lightning greens/fairways. That's where it gets tough. Regardless, it's going to be fun to watch the pros ***** and complain because we all know they will.
It was hard as a freaking rock the day I played it. I f'd up the first hole and bogeyed, but was a seven iron out on 2, landed a ball 10 feet from the hole and it bounced forty yards over the back of the green. Double. I figured out at that point that it was going to be a true ground game which was challenging at times, especially uphill. You cant hit an 8 instead of a 7 and land it short because with some of the greens being elevated the ball would stick or even come back down towards you. Instead of an 8 you had to hit a 5 or 6, land it short but with enough forward momentum to get it to the green.

Once I figured that out I really enjoyed the challenge. THe greens were lighting fast and bumpy and I didnt make many putts, but hitting a 5 iron from 135 with no wind is challenging. I actually figured it out and ended up shooting 77. I remember I had two two putt birdies, one tap in birdie, and one other. I think I was +4 after four, played 5-15 E, bogeyed 16 and 17 and birdied 18. I played it from around 7100 yards. Some of the tips are just ridiculous.

Its definitely a players course. But it is so far away from mainstream American course architecture it has no business hosting the National Championship. It would be like the R&A playing the Open in the desert.

Edit-DOnt get me wrong, its a fantastic course and was a great experience. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would play it again in a heartbeat.
07fta07
AG
There are a ton of other courses in the Pacific Northwest alone that would be better host courses than Chambers Bay, you're absolutely correct there. I'm still excited to see the pros play a course that I've played.
jja79
AG
It will be a beat down with Joe Buck yapping. He's a dwarf rather than a midget isn't he? 18 inch long legs, long torso and giant head.
DOCAG79
AG
Played it a week ago and mark me down as not a fan, but then I don't like links golf! Rain, wind, and nasty rough! I agree that the American Pros will not like it. Did hear from a caddy that Spieth has played it over 20 times in the past year!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.