bagger05 goes to Scotland

13,126 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Texmid
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sitting on the runway at DFW. Heading to Dulles for a long layover and meet up with my buddies from Denver, then on to Manchester.

While I'm laid over in DC I'll have plenty of time on my hands so I'll break down the itinerary. Hopefully I'll have internet access and a few minutes available each day so I can keep you blokes updated on how things are going.
92TXAG
ORAggieFan
Have fun.
gumby579
AG
Have fun!
watty
AG
watty
AG
And also,

98Ag99Grad
AG
Safe travels and enjoy! Looking forward to pics.
agsalaska
tamu2009
AG

Harry Stone
AG
Cheers
Texmid
AG
I leave Houston at 4:05 pm Monday. I hope to play the Old Course at St. Andrews for the third time. It will be much tougher getting on this year because the Open Championship will be played there. The course is closed for four days out of the ten we will be in Scotland.
bagger05
AG
So here is the itinerary for our trip:

We leave Dulles this evening and arrive in Manchester tomorrow morning about 7. We are renting a car (a van, actually) and checking into the hotel. Friday afternoon we will travel north to Lytham for lunch and a round at Royal Lytham & Saint Anne's Golf Club.

Saturday is one of only two days with no golf on the schedule. The main activities of the day are getting some sleep and taking in a football match at Etihad Stadium between Manchester City and Aston Villa.

Sunday is a big travel day. We wake up early and make the big drive to Scotland. We will be driving direct to Crail, which is a bit south of Saint Andrews, and play a round at Crail Balcomie. Afterwards we head to Saint Andrews and check in at The Albany.

Monday is the big day: The Old Course. We've requested caddies for this one. After the round we will be dining at the Aggie-owned Dunvegan Hotel.

Tuesday we play The Eden Course at Saint Andrews in the morning and then travel north to Cruden Bay. The stop in Cruden Bay will be brief--we play Cruden Bay on Wednesday and then head out of town to Inverness.

We stay in Inverness for two nights. On Thursday, we have the only 36-hole day on the schedule. We head north to Dornoch in the morning and play two rounds at Royal Dornoch. The first is on the Struie Course and the second is on the Championship Course. We have requested caddies for round two.

Friday is the last golf day of the trip and will probably be the most exhausting. On the heels of that 36-hole day in Dornoch we check out in the morning and play Castle Stuart. Afterwards we have a very, very long drive ahead of us since we have to get all the way back to Manchester.

Saturday the only thing on the schedule is another football match: this one at Old Trafford between Manchester United and West Brom.

Finally on Sunday, after we have conquered Britain, we will make our triumphant return to the United States of America.
gravy97
AG
Wow...that sounds exhaustingly allsome!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Safe travels bagger! I'm envious. Excited to hear the updates and recap.
Ag_07
AG
The worst part that sounds like the planning and logistics.

Very well done sir!!
Quinn
AG
Sounds like a great trip - enjoy it!
proudaggie02
AG
Nice mix of golf and Premier League. Go United!
mpezll
AG
Sounds like an awesome trip, safe travels!
I'll be there in 5 weeks, look forward to seeing your trip report
bagger05
AG
quote:
The worst part that sounds like the planning and logistics.

Very well done sir!!

My buddy from Denver has been trying to bully me into taking this trip for years. I finally caved, but since this is his baby he basically did all the planning.
WHOOP!'91
AG
I hope you intend to go full Payne Stewart mode:

bagger05
AG
Side note is that the timing of this trip has turned out to be terrible.

We've been house-hunting for months and we just had an offer accepted last night at about 10:00. So by the time I get back we will be through the option period, leaving my wife to be the one to deal with the inspection, etc. I'm also losing two full weekends that I could be using to get my house ready to sell. Going to be a real race to get it ready. Ideally I'd like to put it on the market the weekend before Memorial Day but I just don't think it is going to happen.

Nothing that can be done about it at this point, so I'm just going to try to forget about it all and hit the ground running when I get back. Glad I'm getting tons of golf in this week because I probably won't get to play again for a while.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
Saturday the only thing on the schedule is another football match: this one at Old Trafford between Manchester United and West Brom.
if you cant open a beer with your eyes by the end of the match consider it a failure

whasty
AG
Played many of those when I went 10 years ago. It was a great it, have fun.
Squatch
AG
this is an unbelievably legit itinerary. post pics as you go.
Aggie369
AG
-Cruden bay is a beast if its windy...complete beast

-royal dornoch in 20mph wind is the hardest course I've ever played probably

-you will love castle stewart....its awesome

Enjoy the trip!
BreNayPop
AG
Enjoy. Did almost this exact itinerary last year... it was a blast except for dornoch. Owner of the dunvegan posts on here and are great people... the pics on their walls are unbelievable. Hit up some scotch distilleries on your way back from dornoch/castle stuart... makes the trip awesome!

Be safe, hit em well. Unlucky that....
bagger05
AG
Hope to post some details from the day when I wake up tomorrow. Shot a very jet-lagged 90 at Royal Lytham & Saint Anne's. Took a while to get going and really ran out of gas at the end, but played some great golf in the middle. Great course and a very difficult challenge.
Matsui
AG
Enjoy! Post details take pictures!
bagger05
AG
Everything yesterday from a travel perspective went really, really smooth. Flight was on time, immigration took about 30 seconds, no issues with the rental car. So while that was good, it meant we had tons of time to kill before our round. We arrived at the club at about 9:30 and they couldn't get us on until about 2:00.

This was my first time ever at a true golf club of any type and it just had a really cool feel to it. On the walls they had tons of pictures of past Open Champions and tons of plaques for all of their local championships they've been having for 100 years.

The story of the course itself was all about the bunkers. 206 bunkers on the course. The real challenge was that the yardage book was 35 GBP so we decided to go without. We had one rangefinder that gave us some info off the tee, but getting around the course was a little tough.

The beginning of the round was tough. We had plenty of time to chip and putt and we hit a bucket beforehand, but after being awake for however long it just took a while to get loose. That led to a few problems getting off the tee. I had a couple lost balls and duffed a couple. However, when I got going in the middle of the round I had a string of pretty good holes. I went out in 47, but started the back nine with a birdie and three pars. Then we got stuck in a little backup and I basically ran out of gas. I had a double and a triple which really hurt my chances at shooting in the 80s. I needed a par on 18 for an 89, but drove it in a bunker and couldn't advance it (kinda like Adam Scott in 2012). Ended up with a bogey and a 90.

All in all it was a great experience. The bunkers were insane. If I had to do it over again, I'd make sure we at least had Google maps screenshots of the layout so we knew what was out there.
Aggie369
AG
At least u got to warm up....some of the courses don't have driving ranges just big putting greens. Dornoch doesn't have a driving range but castle Stuart and cruden bay both do
redsquirrelAG
AG
Can't believe I'm just now seeing this thread. This is awesome. The soccer matches will be an incredible experience as well.
RAMF 95
AG
That itinerary is absolutely fantastic. Enjoy it man.
MAROON
AG
See if they can get you on the New Course instead of the Eden Course. Eden is just ok. jubilee is also a better track.
evinoblanco
bagger05
AG
Have you ever played in wind before?

I once thought I had played in wind, but then yesterday I played Crail. One shot I aimed about 50 yards left of target, started on my line and drawing, wind pushed it about 30 yards right of my target and it bounced OB.

Course was amazing. You look at the scorecard and see a par 69. You're like "hey, three free strokes toward breaking 80." One of the par 4s turns out to be 435 yards into a 30 mph headwind. One of the par 3s is 210, about 40-50 feet uphill, and dead into that same crazy wind. Before the round it hailed. Then it was sunny and beautiful for about two holes. Then the wind blew in. Then it hailed again. Then the wind blew in even harder. Then the sun came out and it was beautiful for about two shots. Then it clouded up, started drizzling, with wind as crazy as ever.

Wasn't hitting it great and the conditions play with your mind like you wouldn't believe. Really tough to be 150 yards away with a perfect lie and think to yourself "I have no idea what to hit here." By the time I finally settled down and adjusted to the conditions the damage had been done with a couple disaster holes. 92.

About to eat breakfast and then head to The Old Course. Should be cold and breezy. Regardless of the conditions we're going to have a great time.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.