Bandon?

1,533 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Aggie369
gam 15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone been there or have any thoughts about the place? Thinking about taking a little post graduation trip in December when it's actually quite affordable.
tamu2009
AG
I just went in February and had a better time than I ever thought possible. That place is truly special and truly one of a kind. Everything is about the golf and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Already planning another trip for next February.

A couple tips that I wish I would have known before I went/lessons learned:
1. The third round of the day is free regardless of which 2 courses you played first, so if you can, schedule the Preserve for first thing in the morning (13 hole par 3 course) and then you can get 2 rounds in after that and the 3rd one is free. We missed out on the Preserve because we didn't know that and the rest of our days were packed, we could have fit it in first thing in the morning a couple of days.
2. Bring 3 or 4 people. I went with 1 other buddy and while I don't mind playing with strangers, you run the risk of getting paired with some really weird people. I get its a bucket list trip and destination, but we got paired with a twosome that was far more interested in taking videos and pictures than playing golf and it really slowed us down.
3. Bring several pairs of shoes (and nothing close to new. I wore a pair that was only 4-5 rounds old and they destroyed my feet and since have become the most comfortable pair I have after they were broken in) and don't be afraid to wear tennis shoes if they are comfortable. You're going to walk A LOT. We walked almost 70 miles in 4.5 days. Also bring multiple pairs of socks in your bag in case one pair gets a little wet. My buddy wore a pair of ankle socks and then a pair of tall socks over those and he seemed to love that.
4. Get a caddy. They are worth it. We would have been lost without ours and they make it more enjoyable with some history and they know those courses incredibly well. Ask for Bro when you call caddie services. He is one of the originals and he was great and learned both of our swings and distances after the first 2 rounds. The next 6 rounds he'd just hand us a club and tell us where to hit it. And it's nice not carrying your bag that far.
5. If you're going in December, you better get a good rain suit because the only real difference between peak season and off peak season is the amount of rain to expect. The temp doesn't fluctuate too much but the rain does, and Nov-Mar (I believe) are the really rainy months. We got lucky and got summer weather the 3 week of Feb and it didn't even threaten rain.
6. The punchbowl is perhaps the best part of the whole place and I wish we would have had more time to play on it, but we finished pretty close to dark each day. They really need to put lights on that thing in a hurry.
7. They have shuttles to drive you everywhere on property which is really cool. You just call them up and they come get you and take you where you want to go so you don't have to worry about getting anywhere and when you get liquored up at McKees you dont have to walk or drive home.

I think that's about all I can think of at the moment. I know a few other guys have been and will chime in shortly. You won't regret going, that's for sure.
Aggie369
AG
Definitely go...its awesome

A few more tips

-Try to get tee times of the same course at different times of day...like if u play bandon trails in the morning one day try to play it in the afternoon the next day....the wind will be different most likely and the course will play different
-flying in from San Francisco will give u a higher chance of being delayed due to fog when u take off
-staying on property is more expensive but u get a discount on golf so do the math and see if its worth it...it also saves u time
-bring gallon baggies in ur bag to put cell phone, gloves, camera, etc in so they stay dry during the round.
-I know its been said but bring at least 2 pair of shoes....ur feet will hurt and ur shoes need to dry out....its A LOT of walking
-the punch bowl putting green is awesome....there are 18 holes set up on it everyday and my dad, brother, and i had a putting tournament on it at least once a day...its a lot of fun
-bring lots of golf balls =)
gam 15
AG
Thanks guys! How did you get to Bandon? I'm trying to figure out the best way to get there, considering both convenience and $$$.
tamu2009
AG
I flew DFW->Eugene (not direct had layover in LA going and PDX coming back) and drove 2.5 hours southwest. It wasn't bad. We booked out flights the week before Christmas for the 3rd week of Feb and it was only like $380 roundtrip on AA.

Interestingly, I brought about 4 dozen balls because I thought I'd lose quite a few. I didn't lose a ball until the last day (except for the ones we purposely hit into the Pacific on Bandon #16). All of the courses were designed to be very generous and playable for all handicaps (and I'm not that good). Most of the holes have very generous and wide fairways.

One thing I forgot to add was buy Dream Golf: The making of Bandon Dunes and read it before you go. It was a really cool read and details what all it took to build that place and all the hurdles they had to overcome and all the inspiration behind it. Reading that made me appreciate it more than if I hadn't, I think. It really is a miracle that it was built.
BigHitterDaLama
Went last June and going again this june (playing Pumpkin Ridge courses first in Hillsboro)

Flights:
Closest in proximity is North Bend Regional in Coos Bay, about 30 minutes north of Bandon. Only very limited direct flights on United out of SFO i believe. Catch here is that both Coos Bay and SFO have many weather and fog delays so i wouldn't plan a round close to your arrival day there.

Other than that, Eugene and Portland.....Portland is less expensive but a longer drive. Hence the reason we are flying in there and playing some rounds before heading to Bandon.
tamu2009
AG
I saw the other day that United is starting to offer directs to Coos Bay out of Denver, but it didn't say when they were starting that service.
Aggie369
AG
I into flew to portland then flew to Eugene I think....then drove down
LHIOB
AG
quote:
I into flew to portland then flew to Eugene I think....then drove down

Yes we did
Aggie369
AG
Ha....thx big bro
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.