Inexpensive Courses in Houston?

3,716 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by 07fta07
ZosoAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any recommendations for good courses in Houston with greens-fees around ~$60 and under on the weekend?

I have played Wildcat, Black Horse,and Tour 18 a few times and really enjoy all of them, but don't really want to spend that kind of money on a regular basis. I am not a great golfer and am just looking to play more often to improve. I am not picky but obviously would prefer something that is at least in decent shape and doesn't feel like hitting out of a pasture.
HouAggie
AG
Memorial Park

Or snoop around Golfnow. Their "hot deals" can be pretty cheap, especially for afternoon times.
agsalaska
AG
When I lived in Houston fro m 2000-2006 I was a regular on the Memorial Park walk up list. Great Place
gillom
AG
Cypresswood Tradition and Cypress courses are around that price range. Off 1960 and 45.
WHOOP!'91
AG
Battleground at Deer Park and Southwyck. Go at twilight and its far cheaper. $22 with cart at 2pm at Battleground.

You can also look into "player development" memberships at public courses. I do this at Battleground, and for $50/mo, I get unlimited range balls and 3-hole practice course and $9 rounds with cart and hour before twilight. 1 pm now, noon during daylight savings time.

#winning
Ag_07
AG
Close to town:
Bear Creek Masters (don't waste your time with the other courses there)
Jersey Meadows

Bit of a drive:
Windrose
West Fork
Timber Creek
Stephen F Austin
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Memorial park - my everyday course. Love it
Cypresswood Tradition - my favorite track even tho I never play well there

Cypress lakes - for some reason I think it's hard

Woodforest at fish creek. I know it's a drive but the greens are amazing and fast
aggiebrother33
What part of town? I see a few up north in your post but there are so many just want to narrow it down.
antman8504
AG
Full price courses that are around 60 or under on Saturday morning:
Southwyck
Clear Creek
Battleground
Jersey Meadows
Pinecrest
RiverPointe
Quail Valley

Golfnow has great deals if you don't mind playing in the afternoon. I usually go for more expensive courses on the weekend afternoon, since cheaper courses are too packed.
07fta07
AG
Also add Eagle Pointe to the list. It's not in Houston but well worth a little drive.
bagger05
AG
Another vote for Memorial Park and Jersey Meadows
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
Bear Creek Masters (don't waste your time with the other courses there)
cant be played for 3 weeks after more than 1/1000000000th of an inch of rain due to flooding though, so keep that in mind.

And President is fun to go out and put a low number up to brag about (its a fairly short par 72 with almost zero trouble)
KatyAg01
AG
quote:

And President is fun to go out and put a low number up to brag about (its a fairly short par 72 with almost zero trouble)
Confidence booster for sure (though it's false confidence for me). Can hit it almost anywhere off the tee and still have a open shot at the green on most holes.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
quote:

Confidence booster for sure (though it's false confidence for me). Can hit it almost anywhere off the tee and still have a open shot at the green on most holes.

And it's a goat pasture.

Again...Don't waste your time and money. If it's a confidence booster I'm looking for I'd rather play Pinecrest or Brock or Herman or anywhere else.

Poot
I actually enjoy the par 66 Executive course Challenger out there, more than the Presidents Course. Nothing out there to really write home about, though.

Live on Golfnow if you're flexible and don't mind a little drive, there are tons of good courses around.

Cypresswood for sure.

Memorial Park is awesome but packed. Conditions usually at least decent.

West:
Meadowbrook is a nice layout, no idea of condition these days.

Further West: SFA

South:
Timbercreek is fun- 27 holes. Usually at least decent conditions

Southwyck-- real cheap and in crap condition

North:

Longwood- same as Southwyck

Windrose-- same

Cypress Lakes is good value. Can get pricey on the weekend.

Woodforest-- used to be our honey hole and cheap. It's mot cheap anymore and the amount of play they get makes it impossible to keep it the way they once did.

Grand Lake-- new honey hole... Cheap, empty, pretty dang good shape for the $, but a hell of a hike. 10 mins further than Woodforest,

East:

Eagle Point: real cool layout. Usually in awesome shape. Kind of far.

Evergreen; fun layout, pretty decent condition from what I remember

Battleground: real good value. Not the most interesting of courses.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Be sure to look at Groupon. You can get a lot of rounds for pretty cheap on there.
JFrench
AG
quote:

Grand Lake-- new honey hole... Cheap, empty, pretty dang good shape for the $, but a hell of a hike. 10 mins further than Woodforest.

You forgot to mention how cheap the beer is since you can bring your own.

I like this course alot. Would have liked to see it when it was cared for.
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
River Ridge. Address says Sealy, but feels like Brookshire. Book an online tee time and for like $50 in the afternoon you get range balls and a sleeve of NXT's (or comparable) thrown in. It never seems very crowded. Prob my fav Houston area course.
antman8504
AG
Since people mentioned Bear Creek, well then I will throw in Sharpstown. I played out there a couple times last year and it was in pretty decent shape, greens were pretty good (much better than anything at Bear Creek or some of the other course mentioned in this thread). I would recommend it being that it is 38 with cart on Saturday morning. Also it is one of the only courses where I have actually seen walkers, so you could walk it and not feel wierd for even cheaper.

You can buy some rims on your way out too...lol
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
I really enjoy Clear Creek in Pearland. It's easy to get to and a fun course. You can find super cheap deals on Golfnow.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
On the Upper East Side, I'd throw in Oakhurst and Red Wolf Run.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
On the Upper East Side, I'd throw in Oakhurst and Red Wolf Run.

Oakhurst is a great deal for a nice track.

What's RWR like these days. We used to play it pretty often and it got too run down to make the trek to Huffman. I played it once and almost left mid-round and told myself I wouldn't g back until I heard from someone it was back to playable condition.

We played West Fork Friday afternoon and talk about a gem! Course was in fantasic shape. We played 18 in about 3 hours and decided we wanted another 9. Ended up playing 27 in about 5 hours. It was only $32 for 18 then $9 for additional 9. It's somewhat of an easy course (especially the front 9) but it's a great deal for the shape it's in.
Mr.Bond
AG
quote:
I really enjoy Clear Creek in Pearland. It's easy to get to and a fun course. You can find super cheap deals on Golfnow.

Played yesterday. Course looked best I've ever seen it. Pace of play was absolutely atrocious. We played behind walkers, what course allows walkers on a weekend!?
07fta07
AG
Pace of play always blows there (and it's a very easy course).
antman8504
AG
Courses that I would not play on a Saturday afternoon in Houston because of pace of play (even if it was free):

Clear Creek
Southwyck
Greatwood

I have suffered the 5.5 hour rounds at all three on Saturday afternoons. You have to play there real early or only on the weekdays.
AverageAg
AG
Played 'Wildcat' off of Almeda in South Houston this last weekend with a buddy of mine and really enjoyed it. Beautiful course and pretty wide open. Not very many trees, but very thick knee-high grass and brush that can swallow your ball if you not careful.
WHOOP!'91
AG
Did you play Lakes or Highlands? I played Highlands, which is more links-style with lots of undulating greens. In some places, it was hard to tell which way the hole went...had to rely heavily on the map on the score card.

In all, its a nice course, but you have to find a deal because it ain't cheap. It seems ironic they charge those rates for is a recovered garbage dump.
Ag_07
AG
Not to turn this into a Wildcat thread because it's a pretty heated debate on this board. Many don't like it because of the blind shots, deceiveing carries, and 'gimmicky' holes. I personally enjoy it but it's a tough course especially if the wind is blowing.

It is pricey, but for deals at Wildcat check out Teeoff.com. The catch is you have to pay in advance so make sure you're got your group set up.
AverageAg
AG
quote:
Did you play Lakes or Highlands? I played Highlands, which is more links-style with lots of undulating greens. In some places, it was hard to tell which way the hole went...had to rely heavily on the map on the score card.

In all, its a nice course, but you have to find a deal because it ain't cheap. It seems ironic they charge those rates for is a recovered garbage dump.
I played Highlands, and I will definitely agree that almost every single green was different. One hole would play very fast, and the next was extremely slow. There wasn't a whole lot of consistency.
AverageAg
AG
quote:
Not to turn this into a Wildcat thread because it's a pretty heated debate on this board. Many don't like it because of the blind shots, deceiveing carries, and 'gimmicky' holes. I personally enjoy it but it's a tough course especially if the wind is blowing.

It is pricey, but for deals at Wildcat check out Teeoff.com. The catch is you have to pay in advance so make sure you're got your group set up.
Ag_07 I can see where some arguments come up from that. Like you said, it offered tough shots that reeeeally made you think hard and get creative on some shots, so I enjoyed it. and yea it is definitely a little pricey haha overall I enjoyed it. To each his own I guess.
Chipotlemonger
AG
IMO walkers can play just as fast as carts when it's group:group comparison on a weekend during the day. I would say that on average.

Note: depends on course layout, weather, and tee time, among many other factors.
07fta07
AG
It's not about walkers vs riders. It's about people who understand how to play golf at the right pace vs *******s who don't care that they're out there for 6 hours. When our regular 4 used to walk, we'd keep up or ahead of ANY riders. You can be an aware walker or a jackass rider, yet walking somehow gets the bad rap.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.