Driving range etiquette....??

2,399 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by p-townag
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I went to the range yesterday. I parked, grabbed my clubs, walked to the club house, put my clubs down outside, went in to get my range balls, and then walked over to one of the hitting bays and set my stuff down. I'm standing behind the bay getting my glove,putting wallet/phone in bag, etc. and this woman asks me if I plan to use the bay.I said, "well I was planning to" and at the same time I realized a large pink cart bag had been sitting behind and to the side of the bay. She'd put her bag down to hold the bay, and then gone inside to get her golf balls.I started to say "I can move" but she picked up her bag and balls and walked to another bay. It wasn't crowded and she didn't make a federal case out of it so it really wasn't a big deal.

But what's the etiquette here. Is it really right to put your stuff down to 'claim a bay' when you're not even ready to hit? I mean, either you're at the range and ready to hit, or you're not.
agsalaska
AG
Either way. I dont do it if its really crowded, but respect the fact that other people do. I wouldn't move someones bag or anything.
03_Aggie
I don't see the big deal if it isn't crowded. I would make sure my bag was in a spot that made it obvious that I was using, or intended to use, the bay.

During the hotter times of the year I have left my bag at my spot while getting something to drink or sitting in a cooler spot for a minute or two. Obviously if the range is crowded I would move my stuff and find a new spot when I am ready start again. The range I frequent has a machine for balls between the parking lot and deck so your particular scenario wouldn't really occur.
LeFraud
May not have rules there, but we have them here damnit
Ag_07
AG
I don't see a problem with it and I do it quite often.

However, I do it when I'm hitting balls before I tee off. I don't want to wait on a bay at the range and then rush to warm-up and run over to the tee box.

If it's just a range session I'll just wait it out, but prior to tee times I'll drop my stuff off and go get balls.
Quinn
AG
I think it is poor form to put your bag at a spot on the range before getting your bucket of balls, but if it's not full, then it doesn't really matter.
antman8504
AG
quote:
I think it is poor form to put your bag at a spot on the range before getting your bucket of balls, but if it's not full, then it doesn't really matter.
Agreed
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yep, if it's not full, it doesn't matter. If it is full, you should be ready to roll when claiming one.
tamu2009
AG
quote:
i feel the same way about eat at places where you order and then sit down. don't send 1 person in your party to snag a table while others wait in line and order for you.
Quinn
AG
Ha I was going to use that an example but was too lazy to type it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
mt3950
AG
Is this a serious thread?
mongey donk
AG
quote:
jsamjenkins
AG
I feel the same way at the gym when someone "claims" a piece of equipment by putting their towel on the seat and goes off talking to someone. Or, better yet, when someone claims more than one equipment station and moves back and forth between stations.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Ehh, if I see an open range bay (especially at memorial park) I'll place my bag then go get a bucket. but I also get the bucket and come right back. I don't dilly dally
98Ag99Grad
AG
quote:
Ehh, if I see an open range bay (especially at memorial park) I'll place my bag then go get a bucket. but I also get the bucket and come right back. I don't dilly dally

Yep. I do this all the time there.
p-townag
AG
Interesting, I've never thought it to be an issue for someone to put their bag at a bay before getting their balls.

Now that I think about it, though, I've only done that if the facility is set up to where you have to walk past the range to get to the clubhouse. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to lug your clubs all the way past the range to the clubhouse then backtrack. Just leave the clubs there then go get your balls.

But, if you have to go through the clubhouse first, then yeah, I think it's kind of BS to go out of the way to claim a bay then go get your balls, especially if it's busy. But if it's not busy, I don't think it's a big deal at all.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.