Etiquette Issues w/Students @ TAMU?

3,101 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by The D
AggieKatie2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ran into 2 issues while playing my first 9 holes of the year during twilight time Wednesday.

On one of the holes where two fairways run parallel to each other, we were walking to our cart after hitting our approach shots when a ball landed about 5 yards from us (never heard Fore!). We get in the cart and start driving up to the green and a second ball lands about a yard from the cart (again didn't hear anything). Both shots apparently came from the group playing the parallel hole. While on the green the two young men drive up to their wayward tee shots that landed in the wrong fairway and never said sorry and proceeded to play their shots and drive off.

2nd issue occurred when we caught up to the group in front of us on 8 after hitting our tee shots. They decided to just stay on the green and practice putting until the group in front of them was not only off the tee box on 9, but had finished hitting their approach. We tried for several minutes to get their attention and ask them to leave the green and head to the next tee box and when we finally did they got all defensive and pointed to the group ahead of them (who was now driving to the green on 9).

Probably nothing new....
AgPrognosticator
AG
College students almost universally exhibit poor golf etiquette -- especially if they are playing with other college kids. I can attest, because my goal back then was to drink booze and have a good time. Didn't pay much attention to etiquette.

Aggie1391
First one wouldn't be too big on a problem for me. It happens. Sometimes, it's hard to tell if the ball is going to land close to a person.

Second issue would piss me off. If a group even attempts to hit an extra putt while my group is waiting in the fairway, I can't stand it. The first time it happens, I'll let it go, but the second time i'll be yelling at them to the get the f*** out of my way.
Thisguy1
I hate to stereotype, but a lot of it is the frat guys. I play out there a few days a week and they're getting worse and worse. It's not all bad, which is why I don't want to categorize them into one group, but when there's an issue, it's usually them.

If you're a girl, then it wasn't you, but if it was you and another guy, I may have been playing behind you that day because we just left after we finished 7. A group was on 8 green when we drove by and by the time we were driving past the hole in our trucks they were just now starting to make their way to 9. There was also a group of frat guys hitting next to us on 17 when you would have been hitting approach shots.

It was also extremely busy Wednesday, but the putting on the green when someone's waiting is BS.
saltydog13
AG
I played for the first time out there Monday and could already tell you need to get there before twilight darts or get stuck between all the frat bros. me and a buddy played in just over 3 hours and that was even with cart path only, so the pace is good before twilight. It's crazy how the extra $10 makes such a big difference
AgPrognosticator
AG
quote:
I played for the first time out there Monday and could already tell you need to get there before twilight darts or get stuck between all the frat bros. me and a buddy played in just over 3 hours and that was even with cart path only, so the pace is good before twilight. It's crazy how the extra $10 makes such a big difference
Poor college kids.
saltydog13
AG
Oh I know all about that being a recent grad. It was a crazy log jam right after twilight started.
EastTexAg14
AG
I agree that there are etiquette issues on the course. I also would say that the general public should also not assume that being in college and walking means you don't know anything about golf. I have had this happen multiple times while on the course. I play a lot of golf and am very mindful of etiquette. Every time I have been approached was in hostile or adversarial manner with no respect given to me. Just wanting everyone to be mindful that not everyone out there who is in college needs to be treated like they know nothing about golf and disrespected.
weeza
AG
quote:
I hate to stereotype, but a lot of it is the frat guys. I play out there a few days a week and they're getting worse and worse. It's not all bad, which is why I don't want to categorize them into one group, but when there's an issue, it's usually them.

If you're a girl, then it wasn't you, but if it was you and another guy, I may have been playing behind you that day because we just left after we finished 7. A group was on 8 green when we drove by and by the time we were driving past the hole in our trucks they were just now starting to make their way to 9. There was also a group of frat guys hitting next to us on 17 when you would have been hitting approach shots.

It was also extremely busy Wednesday, but the putting on the green when someone's waiting is BS.
What a dick.
Thisguy1
I'm a dick?
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:

What a joke
EastTexAg14
AG
I am sure that students playing after twilight has nothing to do with the majority of classes being in the morning
Chipotlemonger
AG
And your ****ty point is?
EastTexAg14
AG
Instead of trying to grow the game and explain golf etiquette to presumably new "golfers" everyone wants to chastise them for not knowing. It is more ideal to offer help to someone and tell them it is not preferred behavior on a golf course. Approach it with the ideals of growing the game and explain what they are doing wrong instead of everyone throwing a fit about it.
Thisguy1
I'm surprised they don't put a marshal out. I think I've seen one once.
AgPrognosticator
AG
quote:
Instead of trying to grow the game and explain golf etiquette to presumably new "golfers" everyone wants to chastise them for not knowing. It is more ideal to offer help to someone and tell them it is not preferred behavior on a golf course. Approach it with the ideals of growing the game and explain what they are doing wrong instead of everyone throwing a fit about it.
I tend to agree. It's a golf course on a college campus and people complain about the college kids' etiquette? I'm honestly not sure what people expect. You're not at Miramont or Traditions -- it's the campus course.
klockness
AG
I agree with EastTex and Thisguy. Some old Ag course marshals that can approach new players and say "Howdy guys. It's a little busy let's try..." We don't want to discourage golf but we do want to teach proper etiquette. FRIENDLY marshals are the best way to do both. I don't know how hard it is to find course marshals but I'd imagine there are a few retired Ags around that would like marshal and get free golf.
saltydog13
AG
I agree with having a Marshall out on the course to try and help, but I take an issue when people fan a shot towards someone and don't even yell fore when it lands 5 feet from them like the OP experienced. That's common sense. On a side note, Im really impressed with the campus course and the short game practice areas
Mark Fairchild
AG
Marshal is the answer. On any course, public or private it is advantageous to have a marshal.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Grindhouse
AG
quote:
quote:
I tend to agree. It's a golf course on a college campus and people complain about the college kids' etiquette? I'm honestly not sure what people expect. You're not at Miramont or Traditions -- it's the campus course.

I agree, golf is not something that everyone has the opportunity to be exposed to growing up. Students who get exposure will have the opportunity to gain many friends and network through the game if given the opportunity to learn. I have found that offering a beer with "advice" goes a long way. It is frustrating at first when we see things that don't follow the etiquette we are accustomed to, but helps to think of others as beginners.....especially on public and college courses.
The D
AG
Oh no not the frat guys!!!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.