Aggie Golf At SEC Tourney

2,562 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by coldmoose
Chomp214
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lady Ags doing real well on first day and likely to finish the day in 3rd place, just 4 strokes off the lead. The Men's team is playing kinda like they have all year, or worse. The are like 17 strokes out of first and no one shooting under par---the teams above the Ags (currently in 11th place of 14 teams) have some if not 3 to 4 players under par. Alabama has all 4 counting scores under par and LSU has 3 under par and one at par. We have a long way to go to get the Men's program back where it was when Higgins lead them to the National Championship. Not sure what the problem is but most likely it is recruiting.
Chomp214
AG
At the finish of first day the Aggie Women are tied for first place with Tenn and Vandy. Let's hope they can hold on Sat and Sun and pull-off a conf championship
Cavender Neutze
AG
Ag women lead by 9! They're absolutely dominating. Two 67's from Fabrizio and Szeryk today. Amazing what they are doing this season.
bagger05
AG
Nice!
98Ag99Grad
AG
Any incoming recruits for the men that could help?
Cavender Neutze
AG
More important than any possible recruit will be getting Cameron Champ healthy. The freshman has been hurt most of the year and is an extremely important piece of this team for the foreseeable future. He has star potential and had a fantastic junior career, just needs the chance to show it.
bagger05
AG
quote:

Someone posted we have an incoming kid who is a multiple-time 5A state champ. Probably not as meaningful as major junior tournaments but not bad at all.

Do the big time junior players play for their HS golf team or is it like soccer where the best players focus on club (or in golf's case the big junior tournaments)?
Chomp214
AG
Must be rain delay in Hoover, Ala for Women's Golf. No scores have changed in past 45 minutes. Ags only ahead of So Carolina by 3 strokes with 3 to 5 holes left to play.
Baby Billy
Baby Billy
AG
quote:
quote:

Someone posted we have an incoming kid who is a multiple-time 5A state champ. Probably not as meaningful as major junior tournaments but not bad at all.

Do the big time junior players play for their HS golf team or is it like soccer where the best players focus on club (or in golf's case the big junior tournaments)?

They all do both. I grew up playing with Andrew Paysse, who played 5 for us most all this year and won 5A state the year after Jordan Speith won it. Winning an AJGA (American Junior Golf Association) is a bigger accomplishment than an individual State championship. Those events are packed full of players that will go on to play D1 golf.

5A and 6A state is very competitive as well, but you have a bunch of good players that got there because of team success, not solely on their individual success. In AJGA, the whole field is composed of kids that earned their way into the tournament by exemptions or qualifying. Fields are much deeper.

As far as recruiting goes, the players we have coming in next year are:

--Brandon Smith
A tall and lanky kid from Frisco who has had a great junior golf career. Recently won the AJGA Hunter Mahan championship in Dallas. Played with him about 4 times and he is a fantastic putter and has a great short game. Ranked #149 in the golfweek rankings and #22 in the Polo rankings.
Here is an article on his win in Dallas
http://golfweek.com/news/2015/mar/30/junior-boys-player-week-brandon-smith-texas-mahan/
Here is his profile and results in recent AJGA's.
http://ajga.org/RankingDBNew/bioForCollegeSigneePage.asp?UID=136441

--Max Miller
Max is goes to school at A&M Consol, I got to know him a little bit through junior golf, as he was in the same district as Belton until our senior year. Max is a great ball striker, good short game, but struggles occasionally with putting. As far as his accomplishments, I know that he plays in his fair share of AJGA's, not sure if he has won any or not. Off the top of my head I would say no. However, he did win the Texas State Junior last summer, which is a really prestigious tournament full of players that go on to play D1 golf. If Max can control his temper and keep his head straight then I think he can be a good player for us. He's ranked #51 in the Polo Rankings.
Here is his profile and list of his tournament results:
http://ajga.org/RankingDBNew/bioForCollegeSigneePage.asp?UID=105295

--Chandler Phillips
I don't know much about Chandlers game. He's from Huntsville. Never played with him, but I caddied for Andrew in the Junior Byron Nelson last summer and we played with Chandler for the first 2 rounds, he shot something like 69-62 and won the tournament by about 10 shots. From what I rememebr, he's a great putter. Makes everything that he looks at. It was really impressive to watch. He's ranked just behind Brandon at #25 in the Polo golf rankings.
Chandlers profile and tournament results:
http://ajga.org/RankingDBNew/bioForCollegeSigneePage.asp?UID=137203

Higgins seems to be staying in Texas with his recruiting. This is interesting to me because you typically see big programs expand their recruiting across the nation and even into Europe and Asia.
mullokmotx
AG
Great win for the women. I think the #10 finish by the men keeps them eligible for the NCAA Tournament.
coldmoose
Great win!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.