It's been done before, but favorite on-course wagers?

4,222 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Chipotlemonger
Texmid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I forgot to include the best variation on our Wolf game, the NASCAR finish. The last time each man is the wolf you are required to go "lone wolf". It makes for a fun finish to the round.
Jack Daniels
quote:
I like Vegas. 2 v 2 and assign a $value for a point (i've played both 25 and 50 cents before and it can add up in a hurry) goal is to have the least amount of points at the end of the game. Birdies/eagles flip the other teams score (i've seen it played eagles flip the next 2 holes, but we played eagles were worth a straight up $5 and only flipped the current hole).

Hole 1 is par 4.
Team 1 scores a 4 and 5 so their score is 45
Team 2 scores a 5 and a 6 so their score is a 56
Team 2 is down 10 points now.

Hole 2 is a par 5
Team 1 scores a 5 and 7 so their score should be 57, however the birdie flips it to 75
Team 2 scores a 4 and 6 so their score is a 46
Team 1 now has a score of 120
Tean 2 now has a score of 102 and is up 18 points

I've seen it setlled up 2 different ways at the end, either each person on the team pays the other the point difference, or the team splits it and only pays the total. It just depends on how much you want to play for. If Team 2 ends with an 18 point advantage and playing 50 cents a point, you would either owe 9 bucks if each person is paying the full point total or 4.50 if you're splitting it.

It doesn't hold up playing order, and really puts an emphsis on birdies. You can have some pretty big swings in points with birdies.
We play this, but set teams differently and call it "left-right." Two leftmost balls are on a team and two rightmost balls are on a team. Points are worth a dollar and it can get out of hand quickly. Can play "left-right-middle" if you have a 5-some, with the middle man using his score twice in the calculation. You do NOT want to be middle man and have a blow up hole.

At the same time there will be a medalist bet, everyone throws in $20 and it goes to the lowest score of the day. Also 3 putts....if you three putt you owe everyone in the group $5.
watty
AG
It pains me to see how many times fivesomes have been mentioned on this thread. But I don't want to derail it...

Any other good ideas for two person matches? A lot of times I just play with one other guy.
ORAggieFan
I need to stop with the damn games. Sick of losing money when being the best in stroke play.
nickel
quote:
A fun game I don't see here for five-somes (and spare me, I've played with 5 in under four hours) is Army golf. Teams are 2 against 3 best ball net. You determine teams with tee shots: front nine, the three balls on the right are a team and the two balls on the left; back nine is 3 on the left and 2 on the right. This creates some interesting aiming strategies if you're honor is towards the end of the group.

Scoring is: the winning team players each gets a dot. Ties carry over, so you can get big dot holes. At the end everyone pays up (5th pays 1-4, 4th pays 1-3, etc,) so high dot guy can win big. We played a buck a dot.
@CapCityAg:
Sounds interesting. I may offer it to the group. How is order determined? Same as wolf?
Also, playing $1 a dot what is typical for dollar figures for the big winner and the big loser?
saltydog13
AG
$5-5-5 front back overall is a good 2 man game. Or however much you want to bet
proudaggie02
AG
quote:
quote:
We play ready golf and are usually the first group or two off for the day. We usually walk so when finishing a hole, we're oftentimes in more of a stream to the tee vs all gathering to hold hands and watch each other and wait our turn.

It does make a considerable difference to pace of play when you add that up across 18 and every group. Would be nice to see everyone prioritize ready golf, but we'll just stick with people doing their thing, weekend rounds taking 5 hours, and the game declining every year.

Wolf does not slow the game down at all if you are riding. Literally, not at all. I guess I can see how it would slow it down a little if you are walking, but it wouldn't be by much.

As for the game declining, I think the game would grow more if people realized there were fun games you can play (such as wolf) that involve gambling and putting pressure on the players. I know I would play every single weekend if I had a group that I could regularly gamble with. I don't have a gambling group, so I just play every once in a while with some friends who rarely play, which is more just a reason to get together and drink than playing golf.

Wolf can easily slow down a round. It requires order when the 1st player up may be busy fixing a cocktail, chugging a beer, telling a joke to his cart partner, taking a call, texting, checking TexAgs, sneaking out his airhorn to salute a nice drive, etc.
nickel
We regularly play wolf as a fivesome, ie once/twice a month. Playing in over 4:00-4:15 is not common. And that includes some random chatter and things slowing down a little the last few holes when stakes grow. And this isn't a group comprised of all low single digits. Regardless of handicap, you can play wolf and at a good pace when players have some awareness.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
It pains me to see how many times fivesomes have been mentioned on this thread. But I don't want to derail it...
Same
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
when players have some awareness.
Unfortunately, most do not.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.