Kohler or Pinehurst?

3,118 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Chomp214
PedroJack07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wanting to get away for a few days with the wife at the end of June. She doesn't golf, just needs a spa. Trying to decide between Kohler or Pinehurst. I get the sense Kohler is a lot better but if anyone has been to both, what are your thoughts?
watty
AG
I haven't been to either but both are top notch, are they not? So wouldn't the main thing be deciding which type of golf experience you prefer? A piney woods experience or a plains/links experience? Am I off on that? Maybe then also consider lodging and nightlife, all that stuff...
Harry Stone
AG
you may also consider weather. Wisconsin is probably really nice in June whereas North Carolina could start getting hot and humid at that time. Either way both would be fantastic, but I'd choose the weather at that point.
agsalaska
AG
I would have said Pinehurst before they destroyed one of the best courses in America. I would now go to Kohler.
tamu2009
AG
Id pick Kohler. Whisteling Straits way higher on my bucket list than #2. I think the collection of courses there are probably better than Pinehurst, but what do I know.
BreNayPop
AG
Pinehurst is top notch and number 1-8 courses are fun and varied.
Matsui
AG
I did Pinehurst. It is an awesome place.
CincinnatiKid
AG
I've played both- would recommend Whistling Straits in June -weather's much better, and depending upon how much time you have you can play Erin Hills as well which is amazing
weeza
AG
quote:
I would have said Pinehurst before they destroyed one of the best courses in America. I would now go to Kohler.
This is what all crappy golfers say.
watty
AG
He's not a crappy golfer, FWIW. Everyone's entitle to their opinions, but his opinions are based on a pretty deep love of golf and tons of great courses played.
Old Town Ag
AG
Kohler + Erin Hills
tlfw378
AG
quote:

I happen to think that putting #2 back to original design was the best thing they could do. I liked the course...a lot.
agsalaska
agsalaska
AG
quote:
quote:

I happen to think that putting #2 back to original design was the best thing they could do. I liked the course...a lot.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. We argued this enough at the time so Il leave it alone. But I would go to Kohler 10 times out of 10 over Pinehurst.
BreNayPop
AG
I played #2 after.the change back to original and love that course! What do you not like about it?
bdenby
AG
Remember the PGA is at Whistling Straits this year, so that restricts your travel dates. No one has mentioned Black Wolf Run, which is in Kohler. I enjoyed it much more than Straits. Erin Hills is supposed to be incredible.
aggiebrother33
Been to Pinehurst and by far me favorite golf experience. #2 is special because of all the history but #8 was my favorite to play. Unbelievable. Went with a group and ladies were there who did not golf and loved it, there is a little village for her to shop etc. and the Carolina is an awesome old hotel.

Another recommendation may be Greenbriar.
Chomp214
AG
Second The Greenbriar. A little on the expensive side by what a treat.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.