Transitioning From GI irons to "Better Player" irons

3,687 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by flogmat
93MarineHorn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll soon be in the market for some new irons and I wanted some opinions. I bought a set of Titleist AP1s four years ago when my HC was about 12 and I've been very happy with them. My HC is now 7, where it's mostly been for the last two years. I feel like my iron play has kind of "maxed out". I rarely hit it close to the pin with anything longer than a PW. I'm pretty good with my irons but not great. The one thing I really like about my AP1s is that thin hits still carry pretty far, and when I miss hit the ball, it's usually a thin hit.

Anyway, I was curious if any of you guys have transitioned from GI irons and what were the pros and cons.
nickel
"Players" irons are less forgiving than GI irons. If you're rarely sticking them tight with GI irons, I don't see how you're going to start hitting it closer with something harder to control.

That said, I love the feel of forged. Like you, I play AP1's. 11 handicap. Once in a while, I'll play some old forged Titleists (735CM's). For sure harder to hit and my score usually reflects it, but love the feel.

Have you tried demoing Titleist AP2's?
AgDotCom
My bottom line is this: I want to play the irons that look best to me at address which, for me, promotes the best takeaway / chain of events to follow. Then I and choose the most forgiving out of those that meet that criteria.

For this reason, I play better with players irons than I do GIs. Something about thick top lines and lots of offset just doesn't jive with me, I look down at them and think they're not easier to hit than something that agrees to my eye more. In your case and maybe for most others, the GIs may best fit your eye.
Dr T and the Women
AG
What advantage does a PI bring?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Yesterday
AG
A players iron has more consistancy with middle of the club head hits. They're also easier to draw, fade, knock down etc. in my humble opinion yiu should only play GI irons if you're not trying to get better. If you play twice a month and never head to the range then by all means enjoy your round more by using GI irons. Players clubs like Ap2's are so forgiving these days that a 20 handicapper could play them. I wouldn't get I to the tour preferred or muscle backs until you're ready to really commit to striking the ball in the center of the club face on a regular basis.
93MarineHorn
Thanks for the replies, Ags. I went by Golfsmith today and tried all the Titleists in 6 iron. I really wanted to like the AP2s but hit them just ok. I actually hit the MB better than all the others. This is just a starting point. I want to try Titleist, Taylormade and Mizuno on grass.
Yesterday
AG
If you hit the MB's good then I wouldnt be afraid to invest in them. One thing about MB's is that mats will hide fat shots very well. There's not much room to hit a MB fat. I would buy some Titleist MB's that are a couple generations old on eBay and play them for a few rounds. If you like them then you can sell them for what you bought them for and buy the new stuff. If you don't like them then you can still sell them.
BigHitterDaLama
Some really good info on here. I play AP2 714s and I love them. i played R9s before that and got to the point where I wanted more feel and workability. I love they way they, AP2s, look at address and I can tell mis-hits very easy. Even as important, I got fitted for iron shafts. Doesn't seem like many amateur golfers do this but i think its mandatory if you want to take your game to another level. I ended up with Project x 5.5 rifle flighted shafts, cut to +1/2 inch.
93MarineHorn
Thanks for the suggestion, 03ki11erAG. I hadn't thought about buying an older set to try them out, but that makes sense.

I hear you about the Golfsmith astroturf. It's so easy to hit off that you can really fool yourself.
Ag pride
AG
I'm about a 15 handicap and play mizuno mx-200's

Love them, wouldn't trade them for anything but more mizunos

A buddy of mine is a 6 handicap and he plays the jpx 825 pros, which as far as I can tell is just a newer version of my 200's

I seem to find unless you really shoot close to even that a GI iron is just fine. It's the SGI irons that really throw me off. But between titleist and mizuno I would think the forged iron makes a huge difference in feel.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
I just made the switch from GI to PI. I'm a 24 handicap, which many would think should not be playing a PI but to each his own. My reasoning is I wanted a set of irons that I could work more and a club that requires me to really work on my game.

I played two rounds this weekend and I only shanked one shot. I played to my handicap so I'm satisfied with the fact I didn't play worse using unfamiliar clubs.

I picked up the Taylormade Tour Preferred MC's. The 4-7 have Taylormade's speedpocket which is designed to decrease lost distance due to mi****s. The 8-P are forged blades. I'd recommend hitting these to give them a try or the Taylormade SRi2's which also has the their Faceslot technology that decreases off center mi****s from hooking or slicing as much.
Whoop04
I have a set of MP-58s, but will likely move to something a little more forgiving in the next year or two. I have always liked the Ping I series and will look closely at the i30s when they come out. I just don't get to play enough since having a kid. I feel like I have to relearn how to play every time I hit play now, which sucks with PIs.
Boo Weekley
My game improved big time after switching from Ping G-10's to Mizuno MP-59's. Maybe it forced me to focus on making proper contact, which I never had to do before...at least not to this degree. I have moved onto the MP-64's and love them. Cool to be able to stop or spin the ball backwards on the green with regularity. Only problem is my draw can creep in and be very strong at times, to the point where I have to adjust my game, but it usually works itself out not long after.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
quote:
My game improved big time after switching from Ping G-10's to Mizuno MP-59's. Maybe it forced me to focus on making proper contact, which I never had to do anymore. I have moved onto the MP-64's and love them. Cool to be able to stop or spin the ball backwards on the green with regularity. Only problem is my draw can creep in and be very strong at times, to the point where I have to adjust my game, but it usually works itself out not long after.

This is the effect I'm looking to achieve as well.
AgDotCom
quote:
and when I miss hit the ball, it's usually a thin hit.

Marine Horn, the Mizuno MP-54s will go a long way toward helping with this. They still have a fairly classic look at address but the undercut cavity distributes the weight to help with thin misses. The MP-5s are even better on thin hits but they do not have a classic look when you set up to the ball.

I play an MP-54 3 iron and I can tell the difference over the rest of my set (MP-64).

I'm sure there are other OEMs that have their own version of the MP-54 and they are just as good.
flogmat
AG
What I find interesting is that manufacturers are closing the gap between what you would consider a game improvement iron and a players iron. I, for example, have played blades my entire life, and just recently switched to the Bridgestone J15 DF. This club look just like a blade at address, but has a nice cavity that provides a truckload of forgiveness.

I guess the point is that, with the exception of pure blades, a lot of sets these days are built to cater to both high and lower handicappers at the same time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.