Characteristics of a Maters Champion

3,113 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Rusty GCS
Rusty GCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
what are some of the characteristics of a prototypical Masters champ.

I'll start with no first timers, ranked Top 30 in the world, and a history of birdies on Hole 13

what else? I suppose some think length is a major advantage as well as being able to play the ball right to left but I'm not certain (not refuting, just don't know)
birdman
Play right to left off the tee.

Gotta have a great week of putting.
Mr.Bond
AG
Who ever wins the short game battle. Aka lowest putts and GIR will win this tournament
98Ag99Grad
AG
Long hitters since they "Tigerproofed" it. Bubba, Phil, Cabrera can all blast it. One anomaly was Zach Johnson but there was some wild weather that year.
aggiebrother33
High ball flight, especially with irons.

Long off the tee, not too straight because lack of rough.

Great putter inside 6 feet.

American...lots of winners are American.
bagger05
AG
quote:
Long hitters since they "Tigerproofed" it. Bubba, Phil, Cabrera can all blast it. One anomaly was Zach Johnson but there was some wild weather that year.

Immelmann is a short hitter and Schwartzel is a middle of the pack guy. So of the seven guys who have won it since 2006, four are big hitters and three aren't (of course that's six total victories for the bombers since Watson and Phil each have two). I think golf in general favors big hitters and Augusta maybe slightly more than most courses but I don't think it's a requirement.
mt3950
AG
High ball hitter

Right to left ball flight

Great wedge player

Great putter

Not saying these things have to be done week in and week out, but you need to do them all the week of the masters if you want to win.
LeFraud
quote:

of the previous 16 tournaments held in odd years, 10 of the winners have been international
TexAgs Legend
No stupid looking black gloves
HockeyAg07
AG
He has to be a great golfer.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
No flat billed cap.
drivinwest
AG
Must not win the par 3 tournament.
aggiebrother33
quote:
quote:

of the previous 16 tournaments held in odd years, 10 of the winners have been international

9 have been American since 2000, since lengthening it.
cevans_40
AG
Didn't Jack cut the ball?
birdman
Nicklaus typically played a small fade. But he could move the ball anyway he wanted to.

Course was much different then.
Rusty GCS
AG
What is it about Augusta that makes the cream rise to the top?
HouAggie
AG
The field is already small, and a decent amount of spots are filled with old has-beens. So I would think a larger percentage of the guys remaining are considered "cream", compared to other majors.
HouAggie
AG
Add unlike other majors, they play the same course every year. So the cream, who are good enough to get invited there many years, have a big advantage built in.
ORAggieFan
They're worried the field may hit 100 this year. May be biggest in a long time.
dodger02
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yep, shallow field with all of the former champions and a number of amateur/mid-am champs and runners-up from around the world with an invite. One could finish 13th at Augusta and conceivably not get invited back the next year. For the most part, it's the top 50 players in the world duking it out.
boy09
AG
quote:
He has to be a great golfer.
Typically, the winner will also have to shoot lower than everyone else in the field.
Ag_07
AG
Criers who ball their eyes out at every chance they get have recently done really well at Augusta.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Criers who ball their eyes out at every chance they get have recently done really well at Augusta.
Rusty GCS
AG
Here's a list done by ESPN Stats. By process of elimination they have Nick Watney winning

No golfer over 40
No first time Master's
Made cut in last year's Masters and PGA Championship

There's a few more in the link and lists each golfer eliminated with each stat
http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/masters11/columns/story?columnist=willis_matt&id=6295633

Looks to me like there are inaccuracies in that article
bagger05
AG
That's from 2011
Rusty GCS
AG
No wonder so many of the stats looked wrong. I was thinking Rickie Fowler finished Top 5 last year and he's on the first timers list

bagger05
AG
When I got to the bottom and it started listing out all the first timers that's when I knew something was amiss.
Rusty GCS
AG
Most of those stats still fit though. I've made my list of golfers for my golf league.

We have 15 of us that pick 10 golfers in order for each major tournament. Person that picks the winning golfer the highest wins the pot. So picking Rory #2 would be a dead pick because somebody will have him at #1. If nobody picks the winner then the winner is whomever's list has the most earnings. So having Rory at #10 on your list would be a good pick in the British Open where lesser known golfers win more often.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.