Annual Masters tip list

7,268 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by rikkoman
booradley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ok - here goes my tips for the masters... I don't claim to know everything, just passing on my advice
but its a lot of opinion as well. I post this every year on Texags

I've been every year since 1995 and have worked as avolunteer there for the last 15 years. I'llbe on the scoring committee again this year, but worked many years on the information boards and called the players off on the 1st tee formany years before moving to scoring. It doesn't make me an expert, but gives me a few opinions

1 - first - understand that Monday is the day with the least play. Some of the players will play -and you'll certainly enjoy the course and seeing it first hand. but don't be surprised if some of the bignames (mickleson) don't play on Monday. And I don't recommend hanging out on the 1st tee hopingsomeone will show up. That's a waste oftime. And remember that none of us know who will play. There's no tee times. The players play as much or as little as they want.

Tuesday is a great practice round day almost all of the field will play, and most will play 18 holes. Many of the best players (tiger, phil, Freddie) will be off 1 or 10 very early. So get there early. Bubba Watson is usually the first one off, and usually plays alone

Wednesday everyone loves Wednesday, and that includes the volunteers (marshals) as we're done by 230 and get the afternoon off. The par 3 is great, but if that's your only day, you will not see as much play on the big course as many players are resting for Thursday

Everyone knows you can bring a camera in on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. you will pass thru a metal detector on your way in...

2 check out the information boards. There's one by the main leaderboard as well as by the concessions at the back gate those boards will tell you who's on the course and when they teed off or when they made the turn. Once the tournament starts onThursday the boards have the tee times

3 Remember that there are no tee times for the practice rounds. The players will play whenever they want. And they can go off the front, or the back, or stop at any point. A couple of years ago, it was a Monday and everyone kept asking me wheretiger was of course we don't know when the players will play anyway at about 4:00, tiger came out of the clubhouse and tee'd off on #10. Thousands of people were so excited that tiger was finally playing and he took thousands of people with him down the hill on #10. But after putting out on 10, he walked overto the 18 tee (which is close to 10 green) and played 18 back up the hill and then went back in the clubhouse. Many of these people were then mad at me. again the players do whatever they want during the practice rounds

4 - parking is now a snap since they've cleared out all thehouses along berkman drive. just follow the signs. earlier the better. I'd recommend taking the bobby jones exit from i20 versus Washington road. Washington road always has the most traffic.Early and late.

5 - traffic is a problem. remember - augusta is a very small town to host such a large global event. Its spring break for the people who live there. Most want to get as far away as possible, so they rent their house and hit the road.

6 - buy your stuff when you get there and ship it home. no sense lugging it around. you can ship or store it while you see the course. Prices are mostly the same as what you'd pay at your local pro shop. I've been watching people buy stuff for 20 years, and most people spend at least $300, and many people go up much higher.

7 food is cheap. You'll understand this if you've ever been to the US open, or an NFL game. A sandwich is 2 3 dollars. Chips are a buck. A coke is $1.50 eatup beer is cheap too, but they stop selling it at 4:00. People rave about the pimento sandwich, but I don't like pimento I go all out and spend $3.50 on the club or chicken SW

8 - Rhineharts is my best dining recommendation. its about 3miles from ANGC on the other side of i20. mostly rustic (it's a dive), but the best fried shrimp I've ever had. Crowed, but you can get in. there's another rhineharts further out on Washington road that's less crowded and the same great food / beer

9 - I don't get the chair thing. yes - you can buy a chair, put it down on the ropes, and leave it and not worry about losing it - but the stands are there for a reason. the best viewing is the stands. i'd avoid the
chair thing. the Masters sells a ton of chairs....

10 best seat / viewing at Augusta? The right stands on #15. You'll see the shots into the green on 15 and the shots into 16. Those stands are always full. but be patient. People will leave. So hangout in line and you'll get a seat remember the stands are there for a reason most of the best viewing is where the stands are

11 - see the entire course. walk all of it. you many never be there again. you'll be blown away by the slopes, size of greens, depth of bunkers, hump in the green on #6, size of green on 3, 7; the elevation change on 6 and 10, beauty everywhere. Notice the design also remember the changes that have been made some good, some bad look at #7 that green is ridiculous slopes, and its tiny. The hole was
built to be a 3 iron and a wedge. 325 yards and tree's crimp in towards the greens. Now its 450 and tighter than ever because the trees keep growing my point was the green was built to receive a wedge. and the trees have grown in and made it tight to hit a driver off that tee...
but don't get me started on how technology has ruined some great golf courses....

And make sure you check out the driving range I haven't been everywhere, but I've never seen anything like it

12 Lastly, don't be that guy. Avoid being:
  • "the you da man guy, or the booyah guy"
  • the drink all day guy carrying your masters beer cups around
  • the guy who goes thru the trash looking for plastic masters cups,
  • the guy who wears the ricky fowler clothes, or the guy who wears the loudmouth pants
  • ...the masters is a classy place. be the classy guy...:-)
  • 13 - for those looking for the adult establishments, they're in downtown augusta. imported talent. not saying I've ever been... just heard a rumor...

• Enjoy the Masters.... its the greatest show on earth and very well done. when I was on the 1st tee, I was scolded from quality control (the members) every year... Who knew how to pronounce Louis Oosthuizen's name that first year?

The benefit of being a volunteer is we get to come back inmay and play the course

Let me know of questions. not trying to be an expert. just trying to help people attend a great event...
    Aggie1391
    Hoping I can go one day soon.

What's the process like to become a volunteer? I assume it's pretty rigorous.
    tamu2009
    AG
    HOW DO YOU BECOME A VOLUNTEER??????? thats the only question I have
    Bunk Moreland
    quote:

This X1000
    JYDog90
    AG
    I see mfbarnes got a new handle.

J/K. Good info.
    MAROON
    AG
    the pimento cheese sandwiches are great. i think they also have egg salad which is also very good.

We went to a TBonz steak house on the main drag which was packed during tournament week. Food was ok, but people watching was good - lots of golfers and lots of celebs.
    mt3950
    AG
    mt3950
    AG
    So, by "calling the players off the first tee" are you inferring that you were the starter at the masters in years passed?
    booradley
    AG
    quote:
    So, by "calling the players off the first tee" are you inferring that you were the starter at the masters in years passed?
    not exactly. I called the players off for the practice rounds. there's no starter for the practice rounds. the starter for the tournament is Augusta National members. We announce during the practice rounds to communicate to the information boards so they know what names to post on the boards with the starting times... I gave that job up to move to scoring as scorers don't have to work the practice rounds. it makes a shorter week...
    booradley
    AG
    quote:
    it took me 7 years... there's not a process or application for it. you basically have to know a volunteer who will get your name in front of one of the supervisors. they get thousands of letters a year. but once you're in, youre in for life, or until you screw up and don't invite you back...
    ive been doing it for 13 years, and in that time - I've been able to place 2 friends. and I have a list of at least 10 more who want in... there's literally no turnover. and plenty of interest... of course, an Augusta National member can get anyone in...
    MAROON
    AG
    I have a buddy who works for CBS a few tournaments a year. The Masters is one of those. He stands at #16 tee box for four days and lets the announcers know what club the golfers are using . He's also working the British Open this year. Sweet deal
    1982Ag
    AG
    Boo, excellent description brings back vivid memories. The things that stood out for me:

To say the course is immaculate doesn't do it justice. It's simply perfect. We were there last year on Tuesday, after torrential thunderstorms closed the course the day before (those with Monday tickets were sent home i.e.-hosed). On Tuesday morning,the parking lot was a little wet - other than that, you couldn't tell it had rained save one spot in the rough that was a little muddy.

Everything there is "The Masters"- no advertising/branding for anything else. If you want to buy a beer, you choose from beer, lite beer, or import (as I recall, the choices were actually Coors, Miller Lite, and Heineken). If you want a soft drink, you choose from soda or diet soda (think it was Coke). Even the potato chips are branded The Masters.

The attention to detail is beyond belief. Everything is, as I said, perfect. Each night, a crew fills all divots on the course. If they can't make a spot on the fairway look good with green fill dirt, they paint it green. Some of the bathrooms have an attendant when you enter, he asks "front nine or back nine?", and then directs you to the right or left accordingly. And another attendant cleans the seat in each "back nine" stall after every use.

If you're there on a practice day, stop by 16 a par 3 over water. The players generally take a practice shot or two, and then drop one just in front of the water to skip it off of the pond onto the green. It gets almost as rowdy as the caddie races at 16 of the Shell Houston Open, but without the drunken masses. Last year, Matt Kuchar was booed for not skipping a shot, only to be cheered wildly when he walked to the green and took up position between the green and the water, with his putter in one hand and hat in the other like a hockey goalie defending the green. Also got to see Mike Wier hit a pretty decent first shot, then put his second tee shot in the cup. Both were priceless.

I was initially disappointed to "only" get Tuesday tickets,but looking back it was a great way to see the entire course. If this isn't on your bucket list, consider adding.
    birdman
    Front nine or back nine? Is that real?

I love the Masters. Watch every minute of it every year and hope to attend in person someday. But if there is a more pompous group of people on Earth, I've never heard of them.
    1982Ag
    AG
    Took me a sec the first time to realize what I had been asked, but yes its real.
    Big Al 1992
    AG
    Awesome tips! Thanks - we will be there for the Tuesday practice round after finally getting the lottery placement after about 20 years of trying. Tix were mailed a couple weeks ago and I got chills opening them - like a golden ticket in a candy bar!

So coming in from Columbia - what time should we leave to beat traffic and get parking spot - best place to park? Other dinner spots to hit in Augusta?
    Chances of scoring a ticket for Wed as well when we are there Tuesday or is everyone scared to resell?
    Our plan is 1) buy gifts 2)walk the entire course 3)plant ourself at 16 or as you suggested between 15 and 16. 4) go to driving range. Any other suggestions? How late to the players stay on the course on Tuesday?
    booradley
    AG
    quote:
    So coming in from Columbia - what time should we leave to beat traffic and get parking spot - best place to park? Other dinner spots to hit in Augusta?
    Chances of scoring a ticket for Wed as well when we are there Tuesday or is everyone scared to resell?
    Our plan is 1) buy gifts 2)walk the entire course 3)plant ourself at 16 or as you suggested between 15 and 16. 4) go to driving range. Any other suggestions? How late to the players stay on the course on Tuesday?
    coming in from Columbia.... I'd leave at 5 am. take i20 to Washington. turn left. then turn right on berkman and park on the right in the free lots...

Wednesday ticket? you'll see guys all along berkman and Washington selling badges... but suspect you'll pay a grand / ticket from those guys....

the other great seats: stands at amen corner. they'll look full, but wait in line and people will leave

also the stands to the right of 13 green

the latest players will tee off on Tuesday will be between 4 and 5. but don't expect them to play 18... again - check the information boards (not the scoreboards) and you'll see who's on the course.

again - try Rhineharts on your way out (on Washington on the other side of i20) if you like fried shrimp, oysters. skip it if youre ultra healthy or looking for susi...:-)
    DuckDown2013
    AG
    Best Route to take from Aiken?
    And what time should we leave hotel in Aiken?
    I have heard back gate #9 is best for entering course?
    I will be there Saturday and Sunday and am pretty pumped.
    tbone94
    AG
    I'm going to monday practice round. I've seen conflicting info on when the gates open. The official website says 8, but I've seen elsewhere that the gates open at 7:00-7:15. Staying in Aiken. I was planning on buying a couple of chairs early and planting them along 16. Sounds like you don't think that's wise. Don't care for the idea of shipping them home but I want to have our own seats and not have to wait for a seat in the bleachers.
    cheeky
    AG
    Ship your merchandise home. Atlanta airport is notorious for masters gear disappearing from luggage, golf bags, etc during Masters travel week. If you have to carry it home do not check it in a bag.
    mentorsubsea
    AG
    Boo, since you have played the Augusta National, do you gain a different perspetive for the player that wins the tournament? I mean I hear the announcers say that there is a landing area about a 2 foot square, do shots really need to be that precise? Have you taken a picture that looks at the green of where Tiger chipped in?
    Big Al 1992
    AG
    Just getting back to Columbia after awesome day for the practice round. Boo Radley's advice is nails.
    Gates open at 7
    Go get your swag early - no lines and you can check your merch in. You will spend more than you budget!
    Best place to watch - grandstand to left of 16 tee box - you can see all of 16 and green at 15. Loved watching the players during the practice round all try to skip off the lake and onto green.
    Men's restroom is incredibly efficient.
    tbone94
    AG
    Just got back also. Amazing time. Agree with 16 being a blast. Wish i was still there. My son went straight to his PS3 to play our masters game, I went straight to the patio and turned in golf channel. Needless to say, we are both hooked! Only problem is, I shipped everything back that I bought except my 2015 commentaries poster. Left it at the airport in Columbia. doh!
    If anyone is going I would love it if a good Ag would help me ship one home! Btw, this may not be a stretch of any sort, but I call for Bubba to pull off a repeat. He hit the ball so well, his short game was money, and he was loose and having fun.
    Followed Tiger for a while. He played very well. My son worked his way to the front of the gallery, caught tiger's broken tee that tiger tossed his way. Great memories for a 9 year old and his old man.
    Big_Boat85
    AG
    Just had the fried shrimp at Rhinehart's and will agree. Best fried shrimp I have ever had. It's all about the breading
    ddub96
    AG
    I will be there Thursday and Friday and would be happy to find another poster and ship it to you. Can you post a picture or description of what it was? I am not sure what you referred to in your post.
    booradley
    AG
    quote:
    Boo, since you have played the Augusta National, do you gain a different perspetive for the player that wins the tournament? I mean I hear the announcers say that there is a landing area about a 2 foot square, do shots really need to be that precise? Have you taken a picture that looks at the green of where Tiger chipped in?
    the recent player that amazed me was spieth last year. he didn't win, but i'll never forget the chip he hit on sunday on 17... the course is all about the greens. and 2 putting is a challenge if you're in the wrong place. for those that have been to augusta national - you know that the severe undulation is difficult to see from just watching TV.

but back to spieth. if you remember - he missed 17 to the right of the green. there's little to no grass there. almost hard pan. I remember thinking he'll be lucky just to get it on the green - and will likely chili-dip it.... but he hit that chip on to the green and it ran to about 5 or 6 feet. then he made the putt. just amazing to hit that chip off that lie. I think I would have tried to putt it under all that pressure...

again - he didn't win, but I thought then and still think now - that kid has some stones.
    again - its difficult to 2 putt in some places. but getting up and down from tough lies and from short sides is almost impossible...

we get to come back and play on may 19th. i'll give you guys a recap of that. and explain how there's miles of difference between the member tees and the pro tees...
    Aggie1391
    Need a 4th?
    Matsui
    AG

bbry81
    Can you go to the souvenir tent without having a ticket for that day? I have weekend tickets but was wondering if I could go Friday to buy stuff so I didn't have to Saturday. Are the lines long even early in the morning?
    TXAG 05
    AG
    You can't get on the grounds without a ticket for that day.
    aginlakeway
    AG
    quote:
    You can't get on the grounds without a ticket for that day.
    There's a small merchandise shop outside the Gate 9 entrance ... no ticket required to enter.
    bbry81
    Are the lines long and unbearable
    aginlakeway
    AG
    quote:
    Are the lines long and unbearable
    Very surprisingly, there was NO line at 7:15 this past Monday morning. I was stunned. First time in 9 visits I didn't wait for 30 minutes just to get in the main shop.
    5 4
    S
    There's a fairly new shop behind the 5th green. The crowds were 1/3 of the ones by the front gate and 1st tee. We were in and out in 20 minutes
    LeFraud
    Booradley,

How impressive is it for a guy like Crenshaw to still shoot in the high 70s and low 80s out there? I've always found it to be amazing for guys like him to still be able to "play".
    watty
    AG
    I wouldn't say high 70's or low 80's is all that impressive for a guy like Crenshaw. Mid to low 70s, yes, impressive.
    Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.