Golf Digest Best in Texas Rankings - Agree or Disagree?

7,086 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by 12thMan2012
jonj101
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The link is here: http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/texas

But for those of you who don't feel like clicking:

1. Dallas National G.C.
2. Whispering Pines G.C., Trinity
3. Spanish Oaks G.C. Bee Cave
4. Preston Trail G.C., Dallas
5. Colonial C.C. Fort Worth
6. The Club at Carlton Woods (Fazio), The Woodlands
7. Miramont C.C., Bryan
8. Champions G.C. (Cypress Creek), Houston
9. The Club at Carlton Woods (Nicklaus), The Woodlands
10. Boot Ranch G.C., Fredericksburg
11. Briggs Ranch G.C., San Antonio
12. Austin C.C., Austin
13. Summit Rock G.C., Horseshoe Bay
14. TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks), San Antonio
15. The Clubs of Cordillera Ranch, Boerne
16. Barton Creek Resort & Spa (Fazio Canyons), Austin
17. Austin G.C. Spicewood
18. Shadow Hawk G.C., Richmond
19. TPC Craig Ranch, McKinney
20. Brook Hollow G.C. Dallas
21. Escondido G. & Lake Club, Horseshoe Bay
22. The Quarry G.C., San Antonio
23. Vaquero Club, Westlake
24. The Hills C.C. (Hills), Austin
25. Walden on Lake Conroe G.C., Montgomery
26. Horseshoe Bay C.C. (Ram Rock), Horseshoe Bay
27. Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa (Fazio Foothills), Austin
28. Lochinvar G.C., Houston
29. River Oaks C.C., Houston
30. Oak Hills C.C., San Antonio
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Walden on Lake Conroe should be in top 10. No way is The Quarry a better course.
turfaggie24
AG
Wow, they really disliked Cordillera. Not consistent with DMN rankings. I think the DMN is more realistic with what I'd rate the courses.
Mr.Bond
AG
quote:
Walden on Lake Conroe should be in top 10. No way is The Quarry a better course.

Exactly what I was about to say. Walden is way too low on this list. Holes #11,12, and 13 alone put it in top 10
Mr.Bond
AG
My grandparents lived in Fredericksburg for years. I've never heard of boot Ranch. Has it been there long?
turfaggie24
AG
Think it was built in 2006 or somewhere around there.
Ag_07
AG
WTF? No Heron Lakes?
Unemployed
AG
quote:
WTF? No Heron Lakes?
It's #3 in the Best Stay & Play Golf Destinations in Texas. The article is behind a pay wall so I can't link it here.

quote:
Book with Staybridge Suites near Willowbrook Mall and take advantage of sensational stay and play golf packages at our Heron Lakes Golf Course. We've partnered with The Sandtrap Grill and Staybridge Suites to deliver exceptional golf, dining, and lodging. If you've looking a golf getaway that offers quality and savings, then consider the Stay & Play Packages of Heron Lakes Golf Course.
92TXAG
AG
I agree, largely...

However, Craig Ranch is ranked too high...they are having money issues and it shows. It'd swap the Dye course at Stonebridge Ranch for Craig Ranch and drop it in the rankings; from 19 to 25
Ag pride
AG
Still haven't played a course I like more than pine dunes in frankston
stick93
AG
This list appears to be based upon $$. It's more of a who's who list of private clubs. Otherwise, Palmilla and Lajitas would be somewhere on the list.
Hanrahan
AG
Stick I don't think it's $$$ based or there is no way in hell vaquero club is behind the freaking public quarry course or anywhere that low at all. Doubly same for Lochinvar. I think the whole list is out of whack and I can't quite figure out what the metrics are, as really good courses seem all over the place.
Aggie1391
I can proudly say that I've played exactly....0 of the courses on this list.

Although I do get to play Walden on Monday
tamu2009
AG
Playing Dallas National and Vaquero I'm surpirsed Vaquero is so low. I don't disagree with National being 1, but the only other course I've played on that list is Vaquero and was prefered Vaquero over National.

But that could be largely in part to National kicking my ass all day. I'd love to play both in the middle of spring when they are fully green instead of late November and December. I would say I wouldn't mind being a member of either of them and getting to play them all the time.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Have played Boot Ranch and Barton Creek. Boot Ranch is fantastic. If you ever get the chance to play, don't pass it up.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Surprised to see Miramont in the top 10. It's nice, not sure you couldn't find six better in all of Texas, though.
mazag08
AG
Traditions is better than miramont
Corporal Punishment
AG
I would say different. Not necessarily better.

This was my thought as well:
quote:
Surprised to see Miramont in the top 10. It's nice, not sure you couldn't find six better in all of Texas, though.
So impressive to see a Bryan course up there with next to Colonial, Woodlands, etc.

Also it's of note none of the 30 are in deep West or deep East Texas (unless you count Trinity). Kind of unfortunate, really.
92TXAG
AG
keep in mind that this ranking is about "venue"...not the course(s) exclusively

I've played plenty of good courses that have terrible venues and I've played at courses I don't care for at incredible venues. While each of these courses are arguably worthy of such a list, the ones I've played on this list (which are a lot) are part of a great venue / experience...
AgLA06
AG
Interesting that Golf club of Houston and Traditions are missing. They are better than many on that list.
agfan2013
AG
Agree with the guys surprised to see miranont so high. I've played it once and it's a great course, but I don't think it's top 10 material. Only other course I've played on that list is tpc San An so I need to start playing some more....
hot dog
AG
Miramont looks awesome right now. Fairways are absolutely perfect. I haven't played very many courses over my short golf career though so I don't really know how it compares to everything else in state.
Mr.Bond
AG
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/golf/headlines/20130405-the-top-25-nine-hole-courses.ece

Glad to see my home course Conroe Country Club coming in at number 3. It's absolutely beautiful right now
mt3950
AG
quote:
Traditions is better than miramont

Curious what their rating criteria for this article was. I agree that traditions is a better layout than miramont, but miramont' course condition is far better than traditions'.
plarmigan
AG
My FIL has memberships at both Carlton Woods & Horsehoe Bay, so I get to hack up those courses a lot. Suprisingly, my best round ever of 99 (told you I was terrible) was at Ram Rock, which is considered one of the toughest courses in all of TX. I'm actually playing Ram this Friday with him. I really do need to take some lessons soon and get better.
mazag08
AG
Playing on a nicer, more consistent course can actually help your game.

I'm better at Traditons than I am at Bryan Muni. Muni has dirt fairways, choppy greens, and terrible sand.
agsalaska
AG
Oak Hills in San Antonio and Shady Oaks in Fort Worth should both be on that list.
Hanrahan
AG
Oak hills is on that list bro
Cowboy Curtis
AG
quote:
My grandparents lived in Fredericksburg for years. I've never heard of boot Ranch. Has it been there long?

Very private course. Absolutely gorgeous track.
Karl Hungus
AG
How many have yall played? I've played 9

2 first impressions:
Agree that Cordillera is way too low. It's been a pretty consistent top 7 on every list I've seen over the last 5 years
I liked playing the Quarry, but definitely think it's rated way too high. I personally would rather play the bandit than quarry...
drivinwest
AG
Is that the course by the airport that Hal Sutton designed?
agsalaska
AG
quote:
Oak hills is on that list bro
Oops.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Yes, his (massive) house overlooks 14 I believe.
beachfront71
AG
quote:
Wow, they really disliked Cordillera.

The 14 above it must be awesome .. I think the experience at Cordillera is and has been incredible...
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
load of marketing CRAP!!!

I've played most of those......and I understand opinions are like a-holes, but a lot of the "BEST" lists are always comprised of marketing hype and sometimes flat-out "which course is buying into our organization" (as an example check out Links "Best" list sometimes)

not only the order they are arranged but look at who's missing on the list
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.