MASTERS First Timer

1,990 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by sanangeloAG
DuckDown2013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I will be attending the 3rd and 4th rounds of the Masters this year. I am pretty excited. Any tips from individuals who have been before would be greatly appreciated. I am attending with my brother who has attended in the past, but wouldn't doubt that you guys may know some things he doesn't. Thanks in advance!
SW AG80
AG
Get there when the gates open. Buy a chair and set it at around green number two, preferably on the right side near the sand trap. You can see all the groups come through that green and still have time to follow whomever you want. If you want to follow someone for a few holes, just leave your chair there. No one will Touch it and you can come back and see it any time you want. From there, you can see players tee off on number three and a very short walk let you see them hit their approach shot to number seven. Towards the end of the day, find a place in the grandstands on 15 Green.
Mr.Bond
AG
Go put a chair immediately at 16 green when gates open. My absolute favorite spot

Eat tons of bbq sandwiches, drink the cheap beer and load up on merchandise
Cavender Neutze
AG
Agree with Bond! We always set up on the left side of 16. You go far enough towards the green and you can see 16,15 and 6. Amazing spot. Just wait for the view when you walk in by the clubhouse, will be unlike anything you've ever seen!
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Pimento cheese sandwich.
SW AG80
AG
And do load up on Masters' stuff. In fact, would you bring me a shirt?
bagger05
AG
Everyone says #16 or Amen Corner, but I believe that I have a better spot to set up your chair.

The yellow is the ropes.

This spot has a good view of the action in a few places. You get to see the guys hitting approach shots into #13 green. You get to see them chip and putt on #13, then the players walk right by you on their way to #14 tee, and you get to see them tee off up close and personal (which is unbelievably impressive).

The other thing this spot has going for it is SHADE. Some of the more popular spots on the course are totally exposed and depending on the weather that could make for a rough day. Also there's a concession stand and a scoreboard right there.
watty
AG
If you're in the middle of that spot you marked, can you actually see both the 13 green and the 14 tee box? It seems like depending on the slope of the ground and the crowd around you, you might be obstructed on one or the other.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Just be tall like me

I can't brag too much though. I don't get to go to the Masters.
bagger05
AG
quote:
If you're in the middle of that spot you marked, can you actually see both the 13 green and the 14 tee box? It seems like depending on the slope of the ground and the crowd around you, you might be obstructed on one or the other.

Very important to be right up against the #14 tee box because the ground slopes toward the creek.
watty
AG
quote:
quote:

Very important to be right up against the #14 tee box because the ground slopes toward the creek.

That's what I was wondering. Good spot if you get the right spot, it seems.
bagger05
AG
The way it worked was that everyone put their chairs facing toward #13, then when someone would tee off we would stand and turn and face the tee box. So if you were closer to the creek then you'd be behind people trying to watch them hit their drives. I think it was only two rows deep (maybe three), so even if you weren't on the front row it was easy to find a gap to see.
bagger05
AG
OP, I was only there for one day, and my biggest regret is that I didn't spend enough time just walking the course. If I was you, I would put a chair down someplace early on Saturday and plan on walking as much of the course as you can. It isn't always easy to follow the course because of where the ropes are, but I recommend spending almost the whole morning just walking along the holes and playing an imaginary round as you go along.

Also, whatever your budget is for souvenirs, double it.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
I'd spend Saturday walking around. Sunday morning, I'd drop a chair near the 18th green and set up near the driving range/practice green and watch until the leaders tee off. Once they tee off, I'd find a group to follow for a little while and make your way back to 18 as the last 6 or 7 groups come in.
DuckDown2013
AG
Thanks for the info guys. Marauder- I talked to my brother today and I think that's the plan. Going to walk the whole course Saturday and watch different groups. Sunday, We may try and put a chair somewhere and then follow some of the leaders later in the day Sunday, all while taking major advantage of the cheap concessions.

I have heard that there is a FedEx or UPS booth by the gift shop so you can send your stuff home...Is this true? I want to buy loads of stuff but don't want to have to carry it around all day since you can hardly take any kind of bags or anything in.

Mr.Bond
AG
Yes you can ship stuff home. I know I'm biased but I highly recommend number 16 green
lazuras_dc
AG
quote:
sand trap

quote:
Words you shouldn't hear: "fans," "bleachers," "sand traps," "front/back nine." The officially preferred words are "patrons," "observation stands," "bunkers," and "first/second nine." That last distinction is aimed at avoiding use of the phrase "front side" for the first nine holes, leading inevitably to the so, so vulgar "back side" for
proudaggie02
AG
quote:
quote:
sand trap

quote:
Words you shouldn't hear: "fans," "bleachers," "sand traps," "front/back nine," "Mickelt--s." The officially preferred words are "patrons," "observation stands," "bunkers," and "first/second nine", and "Mickelchest."That last distinction is aimed at avoiding use of the phrase "front side" for the first nine holes, leading inevitably to the so, so vulgar "back side" for

Fify.

Seriously though, are there a bunch of annoying snobs there that would say "pardon me, I couldn't help but overhearing you use the word 'bleachers'.... please say 'observation stands' in the future."

Ag_07
AG
Wherever you are be sure to make an ode to the golf gods at golf mecca with a big MASHED POTATOES or the ever so classic GET IN THE HOLE from a tee box.

Folks will love you for it.
Locknload
AG
I have been going for 18 or 19 years. My advice is go in at Gate 9, the back gate. Always less people. First go in the store and buy your shirts, hat to wear etc. Check your merchandise to the left of the cash registers as you leave the store. No charge for the service and then you just have a claim check, not a bag on the course. You can also check rain jacket with your merchandise in plastic bag if it looks like it is going to be clear. Just pick it up when you leave.
Go down the hill to 14 tee box to the right, 16 to the left. Amen Corner to the right. Walk Amen Corner backwards. Go stand at back of 18 tee box then walk 18, pausing to catch your breath near big bunker.
Climb to Oak Tree at clubhouse, take it in and notice why I told you to use gate 9. Walk 1, Buy a beer and drink at 2 tee box. Proceed around Front 9 and go back up hill to 10 and walk Amen again. Not a better day.
booradley
AG
I post a masters tip thread every year. will do again later today
dodger02
AG
quote:
Any tips from individuals who have been before would be greatly appreciated.
Take lots of pictures.
aggiebrother33
Agree with a lot of above, I went with a guy who has been going every year for 33 years.3rd round walk the ENTIRE course, worth every step. And for the final round put your chair on 18 so you can see the winner, then head over to 16 and park there for a while. Close to beer/food and the center of all the action. #3 teebox you can literally get 3 feet from the pros, and # 8 on the left side of the fairway just passed the bunker. Both of those spots you can get close ups with any of your favorite players. Wild wing cafe is a cool place for drinks and food after, enjoy!
sanangeloAG
AG
I should not have opened this thread. Definitely broke the 10th commandment.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.