Valero Texas Open

2,691 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by RGRAg1/75
CashinOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A lot of good golfers will be in San Antonio this weekend. I'm going to try to sneak off on Thursday and get out there for the opening round and maybe again Saturday.

What are some things to know about the course? This is my first time to see a PGA event so I'm trying to see as much as I can.
Corporal Punishment
AG
If you're headed there on Thursday then you're already doing it right.

I haven't been to that particular event but in general getting there early during round one during spring weather is a glorious way to spend a morning. You can freely move around and follow your favorite pros without any problems.
boy09
AG
The area around the 2/7 shared green and 8 tee box is a good spot to post up for a while if you need a break from walking.
Cavender Neutze
AG
Tough course to make your tournament debut. Make sure you wear some comfortable shoes, that course is extremely spread out.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Planning either Friday or Saturday, more likely Friday. need to look at tee times tomorrow and see the groups to determine who to watch, hopefully will have them clustered together some.
Matsui
AG
2 green/3 tee/7 green/8 tee is a great spot to watch

and definitely go out thur/fri
you can get around certain groups where there are 10-15 people standing around watching, makes it better

also par 5 14th green is good to see a lot of birdies

there are 2 lines of thinking with watching golf live, either be stationary and let the groups come to you or walk 2-3 holes ahead of the groups you want to see, stay there until they come through, then walk 2-3 more holes in front of them again. you will quickly find out that it is darn near impossible to keep pace with the group. they walk quickly.
98Ag99Grad
AG
How much rain did the course get this past weekend?
agfan2013
AG
Agree with boy09 & matsui, the shared green and watching people tee off over the lake on #3 would be a great spot, plus there is a concession stand near by. I went last year and we hung out around 16,17, and 18. Its fun to watch how the pros play if the flag is tucked back behind the bunker on that par 3, lots of risk/reward. Its easy to follow your favorite golfer for a few holes (we did for Phil) or just sit and watch players come through.

Its a great course to play as well, its definitely not cheap, but if you've got the bones I'd highly recommend playing it at least once.
jja79
AG
I'm going over from Houston with 2 of my sons and 2 of their friends and we were able to get hold of some hospitality tickets. It's not cheap but does make for an awesome day.

You either have to be a TPC member or JW Marriott guest to play the courses. We spend 4th of July week there and last year the twilight green fee was $79. Best part is there's no traffic on the course.
CashinOut
AG
quote:

You either have to be a TPC member or JW Marriott guest to play the courses. We spend 4th of July week there and last year the twilight green fee was $79. Best part is there's no traffic on the course.
I was doing some reading on the weekend and saw where if you volunteer at least 18 hours of the tournament they reward you with a summertime greens fee minus the $25 cart fee in addition to some clothes and tickets for friends/family.

Something that I'll be looking in to next year if I can swing it. Get to volunteer, see some golf, get closer to some Tour pros, AND free golf?!?
jja79
AG
If I lived in SA this is something I'd be looking into as well.

They apparently have many fewer corporate sponsors than some of the other tournaments so individuals can participate in several of the hospitality options.
AG
Probably got about an inch of rain which would be nothing for that course. Thursday looks a little iffy, but should be ok, rest of the weekend should be spectacular weather.

A couple of issues with volunteering is what kind of work you get to do. The best jobs are obviously harder to get unless you are connected. You could get stuck doing some stupid stuff and not really see much golf or be close to the players. I looked into it when it was back at La Canterra, but things never worked out to actually do it due to other conflicts. It seems like an attractive offer from outside, but if you get a job like hauling water and stuff like that, would be sort of sucky even for a round of golf.
Matsui
AG
I volunteered as a walking scorer (with the handheld PDA device) for 5 years. It is totally worth it. So much fun to get inside the ropes. I think you PAY $40-50, but you get a meal during your shift, unlimited snacks/drinks, 4 free tickets to the event, free parking, and a free round of golf later in the year.
Matsui
AG
Also you can't just work the weekends. You typically have to work the Wednesday practice round, and either both days on the weekends or 1 day on the weekend and 1 day of Thursday or Friday.
Boodlum
AG
What is the best way to get some tickets?
313-7-12thMan
On the volunteer form you can specify what your interest is. I know they are in need for VIP cart drivers Thursday and Friday. You may be able to call and speak with a volunteer committee chair to see the protocol for last minute sign ups.
Matsui
AG
tickets are easily had all around San Antonio. At Valero gas stations, on CL, etc. Everywhere.
boy09
AG
You can just buy them at the gate, no?
jja79
AG
The course is eating them up.

Johnson Wagner 10 over, DA Points, 9 over, Colt Knost 8 over. Leader just 1 under.
AG
Windy as hell here, throw in that it's on top of a bunch of hills and it is playing tough. Rest of the weekend looks perfect though.
jja79
AG
I've played it often. I'm familiar with the potential problems.

Headed from Houston in the morning to enjoy the tournament and the weekend.
Matsui
AG
It's brutal out there. 6 hour rounds high scores pissed off pros. Comical. I believe a couple years ago same thing happened and the leaders were at 4 under after 2 rounds.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Just checked in to JW. Here for tomorrow's round. Folks I'm meeting up with don't get in til tomorrow. Anyone at the hotel or on course tomorrow?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.