Maui and Kauai Golf Recs

2,144 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by BigHitterDaLama
voorheesdn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am headed out for my honeymoon in just over a month. I am one of the lucky ones who has a fiance that plays golf as well. We are in Kauai for 4 days and Maui for 5 and want to play at least 3 rounds total.

I have already booked Wailea Gold Course and am trying to narrow down my next selections. We are staying at the Grand Hyatt Kauai so Popui Bay is a great option in Kauai.

What are some of your favorites out there?
jonj101
I posted this in a previous thread:

"Look up the "The Challenge at Manele," It is located on the island of Lanai across the channel from Maui.

My golfnow rate included the ferry trip across, but idk if they still do that. The course is connected to the Four Season resort over there, and a shuttle will take you to it. If you want, you can catch the earliest ferry ride and go eat a hearty breakfast at the Blue Ginger cafe on the main strip in Lanai before your tee time ( I got the hot rate of the day and only paid like 150 including the ferry ride, but that meant I couldnt tee off until around noon).

Its a beautiful course with amazing views. The par 3 signature hole has been my phone screen saver for a few years now."

Since you already booked Wailea on Maui, and want to get in 3 rounds that may be an option. However if you want to get in another strictly on the island of Maui, Id say the Kaplua course - I regret not playing it while I was there. There is a Bay course and a Plantation course - the Plantation course is where the event is, but both looked nice to me.

I havent been to Kauai yet, so I cant give you first hand experience on that.
rodneyp11
AG
I second The Challenge at Manele. I played both there and Kapalua and liked The Challenge better. Maybe my favorite hole I have ever played was there.

galveston
AG
Play both courses on Lanai, well worth the trip
BigHitterDaLama
Aggdave......went to Kauai last sept.....(1st time to that island). Stayed at the Grand Hyatt Poipu Bay. Play that course for sure as it hosted grand slam of golf for many years. Final few holes are gorgeous. I also played Princeville while there. Was pricey but worth it as it usually makes top 100 public courses in the world. One course I played and loved was Puakea.....near Costco in Lihue. Think it cost me $55 to play.....the first two holes were pretty blah but after that, I thought it was awesome. Some awesome jungle holes with creeks, foliage and the backdrop is Huleia Refuge......filmed a lot of Jurassic Park there. For the money, its well worth it. Recently saw where Matt Ginella on Morning Drive voted it one of the best all around golf deals on any of the Hawaiian Islands. While you're in that area, there is a supermarket across from Costco in the mini-mall called Times......go there and get some of their Poke......some of the best I've had if you like fresh fish. Kukui'ula is private club but looks unreal. If you can find a way to get on there, Ive heard it's ridiculous. Near spouting horn. As for Maui, Gold is a great choice. Knock out Kapalua Plantation while there first, then bay course if possible. Lanai is incredible as well as already mentioned.

92TXAG
AG
play the courses at Princeville; north side of the island of Kauai
voorheesdn
AG
I forgot the caveat that Princeville is undergoing renovations and isn't open while we are there.
92TXAG
AG
oh man...what a bummer

the good news is that you're going to be in paradise and there's really not a bad course there

the better news is that you're going to be honeymooooooning; shazam!
agsalaska
AG
quote:
I second The Challenge at Manele. I played both there and Kapalua and liked The Challenge better. Maybe my favorite hole I have ever played was there.

http://d1xejl9xcsndu9.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/lanaigolf_636x431.jpg
Wow. Is that a par 3?
Boo Weekley
This isn't the best picture and it is much more stunning in person, but this elevated par 3 at Poipu Bay is what got me into golf years ago. My dad and bro were somewhat experienced golfers and I was just tagging along and hacking away, barely connecting with the ball half the time. This was the one straight shot I had all day...can't remember what club I used, but I hit it pure and it was a dead line straight at the pin. Landed about 2-3 feet just shy of the hole for a tap-in birdie. Was hooked after that. Funny thing is, I had told them I was pretty much done for the day, so after they hit their shots, they hopped in the cart and sped off. I just decided to tee it up real quick and take a hack, but it ended up being a thing of beauty. Sounds cheesy, but I highly doubt I would have grown to love the game like I do had I just called it a day and stayed in the cart.

PS- I could be mistaken on the picture, but I think that is the tee box of the hole I am thinking of in the background and green in the foreground.
Project Mayhem
AG
Kapalua Plantation course is my favorite course on Maui/Lanai....the sheer size and elevation change at this course makes it spectacular to play.

The Chalenge at Manele was a fun course and my second fave.

I played the Wailela Gold course last month. Course conditions were great but was disappointed in the lack of elevation change. Other than holes 1 and 18, the elevation change was minimal.

CRM1712
AG
quote:

Boo, that's funny you say that because it's the same course/hole that really gave me the golf bug. Went to Kauia with the wife, and played the course because we stayed there at the Grand Hyatt. I was terrible that day, because I wasn't much of a golfer, but I've been playing/practicing much more every since that day. Hope is to go back there soon and score well.
UTex09
quote:
Kapalua Plantation course is my favorite course on Maui/Lanai....the sheer size and elevation change at this course makes it spectacular to play.

The Chalenge at Manele was a fun course and my second fave.

I played the Wailela Gold course last month. Course conditions were great but was disappointed in the lack of elevation change. Other than holes 1 and 18, the elevation change was minimal.

Second the Plantation course. I played both Kapalua courses two years ago and Plantation was one of the best I've ever played, anywhere.
Hanrahan
AG
I've had the pleasure of playing most courses on both islands along with the two on lanai. I'd for sure play Kapalua plantation although the bay course is also pretty greatcoat if you have time for both. If you want to take the ferry to lanai both courses there are truly great. The "experience" course up in the upland part of the island is a very different Hawaii golf experience and I believ has the only bent grass greens in the islands (because of the elevation and cooler temps).

As for Kauai, Poipu bay is a good course with a fantastic closing stretch along the coast that's worth playin alone. Princeville prince course is nice but I didn't think it lived up to all the hype so don't feel too bad you can't play it while there. Also the grand Hyatt is one of my favorite Hawaii resorts and I've stayed at all the Hawaii islands four seasons and the ritz on Maui. You will love it. We head back there ourselves in June.
BigHitterDaLama
Hanrahan, you've played Puakea in Lihue? I was impressed with that course once I got to the 3rd hole away from the "commercial" views. I thought it was gorgeous and well worth $55 bucks. Grand Hyatt Poipu is one of the best resorts Ive ever stayed at. Amazing
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.