Kiawah Island Courses

2,206 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by agsalaska
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I planning a summer trip and I'm setting aside a day to get in 36.

Can I get on the Kiawah Island Resort courses without being a guest at the resort? What about the Seabrook Island courses? Any other suggestions for Charleston area courses that are worth checking out?

I hear Stono Ferry is worth a play but I'd like to get on where I can easily play 18 in the morning and a different 18 in the afternoon. If I do the Ocean Course I'm not sure I could afford another 18. May have to save that for a golf only trip with the guys.
booradley
AG
my 2 cents...

play the ocean course while youre there. its the only one you'll remember the rest of your life. you may not get the chance again, and the price will only go up...

that said - I'd recommend the twilight rate. we teed off around 330 and had no problem finishing before dark..

another point: its really difficult. if the wind is blowing, it may be one of the most difficult courses in the US...

I hit a small bucket on 17 before find the green...
mt3950
AG
Played the ocean course while out there. Loved it. Holed out on 18 from the fairway for a 2 while 20+/- people watched from the balcony of the ryder cup bar. They all clapped when I got the ball out of the hole. Coolest golf experience of my life.
agsalaska
AG
Played the Ocean Course this year after the USC game. Fantastic experience. I've played a few championship courses and it's one of the best
PFG
AG
Are you staying on the island?
Ag_07
AG
I think we're going to be staying in Folly Beach. We'll have a rental car so anything within an hour or so would be in play.

The Ocean Course Is becoming more and more enticing but if I do that I'll just play 18.

I've heard good things about Stono Ferry.
El Duke
Stayed at the Sanctuary and got a free round at the Ocean Course. Played by myself while wife went to spa. From what I remember the cart paths are sand and I got stuck a few times. Try the different martinis at the bar next to the clubhouse after the round and sit out on the back porch and watch 18. That was 4 years ago and the still the best golfing experience of my life.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Okay so I can't find the notes I made last year on researching courses at Kiawah and the surround islands. Going a week in May. Osprey Point seemed to be one I remember noting?

Anyways, what are the other solid mid price range courses out there? (not $50 but not $300) . Will try to find my notes again tonight just haven;t had luck so far.
Ag_07
AG
From what I've gathered here are a few quality courses that don't require a 2nd mortgage to play

Stono Ferry - $45-100
Charleston National - $40-80 (also on GolfNow)
RiverTowne Country Club - $60-100
Seabrook Island Crooked Oaks & Ocean Winds - $80-160 (Resort so not sure if resort privileges are required)
Wild Dunes Harbor - $75-125
Wild Dunes Links - $100-190

Of course the other Kiawah Island courses include Cougar Point, Oak Point, Osprey Point, and Turtle Point and they're all $150-250.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Looks in line with what my memory is recalling! Thanks man.
Ag_07
AG
Also Osprey Point is said to be in tip-top shape. It underwent some renovations in 2014 to improve drainage and was reseeded. Some of the reviews I've seen have said that course condition and aesthetics alone have it up there with the Ocean Course.

You won't be getting the atmosphere and awe of playing a storied course but it's easier on the pocket book and the golf ego while being in top notch shape.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Wow, sounds like a win. I think we're actually staying off of the Osprey Point course.
mongey donk
AG
quote:
Can I get on the Kiawah Island Resort courses without being a guest at the resort?
Ag_07
AG
Yeah. Just call the pro shop and make a tee time.

The pro shop is open seven days a week from 7:00am 6:30pm. Hours will vary by season. For general information and Ocean Course Golf Tee Times Call: (843) 266-4670
agsalaska
AG
I 2nd that post. We drove out from Charleston, played, and drove back.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.