Hip movement

1,503 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Poot
Dr T and the Women
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have read a lot of stories that advise trying to limit the hip turn on the back swing so as to increase the X factor between hip/shoulder turn. The problem I find is that I try to limit the turn back I have a hard time firing my hips forward. Anybody else have this problem?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieIce
AG
I think the main goal of those pieces of advice is to have you "focus" on less hip turn on the take away so that you avoid the dreaded "hip-slide" during the backswing. This also increases the torque in your body and can help you hit it farther.

BUT you have to be pretty flexible to do this, and bigger guys have issues getting a full turn without some hip movement.

I would suggest starting your downswing slowly and gradually be increasing the "whip" movement, and the momentum should help fire your hips around.
watty
AG
Personally, and a ton of teachers say this as well, I'd say that limiting hip turn is not good advice. Hips have to turn. Shoulders turn more, but hips turning is part of what helps you make a full turn.
DadAG10
I have always heard hips should turn half of what shoulders turn.

So - 90* shoulder turn, then 45* hip turn.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Sound advice.
93MarineHorn
Like everything else in golf, it depends...I've been trying this lately and it's been working on the range, especially with shots under 120 yards.
agracer
AG
Hip turn =/= hip slide.

Hip Slide on back swing, bad.

Hip Turn on back swing, not bad.
aggiedent
AG
I have never had any problem firing my hips forward. I feel sorry for you and your wife.
Dr T and the Women
AG
I make her do the work
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Makes sense with that user name.
Squatch
AG
definitely avoid the hip slide. I've got a problem with this and it usually causes me to hit fat b/c I get stuck back and cant get my hips forward. on the downswing think about starting the move by dropping your left heel and right elbow at the same time.
Poot
As others have said, avoid "sliding."

If you get stagnant in the mid-section it can lead to a real "armsy" swing. Every golfer is different... The Fred Couples and Dustin Johnsons of the world can get their shoulders torqued and turned and their hips stay quiet. As has been said, flexibility is a big factor here.

Look at mere mortals like a Tim Clark and they have to get their hips turned more in order to get their shoulders turned.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.