Spring Break Golf Trip!

2,013 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by bigboykin
dcrewint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm stoked! 3 buddies and I are taking a road trip to Alabama to play a few courses there and on the way.

It's a lot of golf in 4 days time and I'm sure I'll be worn out, but the time can't fly by quick enough.

We'll be playing Cypress Bend in Louisiana on the way there. Then we'll play Oxmoor Valley the next day, followed by a stay in Pratville for the Capitol Hill courses. We'll finish the trip off with a round at Hickory Hills in Mississippi on the drive back.

Hotels are booked, RTJ and rental car paid for, but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on non-golf entertainment? I'm perfectly fine with golf, golf and more golf, but my single buddies might be looking for alternatives at night. Also, has anyone experienced the RTJ and handled 54 holes? Our tee times are early for the Oxmoor courses, I'm not too concerned about finishing that night with the par 3 course. What about the Capitol Hill courses. Am I overly ambitious in thinking I can get all 3 full courses completed w/o repercussions after 36 + par 3 the day prior?

Anyone else going on a trip? Oh and thanks for whomever plugged RTJ in my mind with that map of the courses! Such a better idea than we originally came up with!
CashinOut
AG
Have a trip lined up to golf around Little Rock, new driver gets shipped today, been looking forward to this for a couple months now....

Broke my finger last Sunday and hoping it heals enough to at least grip a club by next week
bagger05
AG
Are you saying that you're planning on playing all three Capitol Hill courses in the same day?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Nice OP!
dcrewint
Yup!
bagger05
AG
"Yup!" meaning "Yes, we are going to play the Judge, Senator, and Legislator in one day"?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea sorry bagger, I sorta jumped into your conversation's way
dcrewint
Yes bagger. However, it may just turn into a drive through the Legislator to finish. I've done 54 before and I'm not worried about the "grueling" aspect. If I were walking I wouldn't consider 54, but riding isn't much when you have a background of running 70-85 miles per week. But, I have never done 54 after 36 the day before. I'll be sure to come back with pictures, reviews to post!
bagger05
AG
Not questioning your fitness... The only reason I was asking is because when we were at the RTJ courses we did run into a few backups. Pace of play wasn't super slow, but it's probably unreasonable to expect to do 18 holes in three and a half hours or something. You'll only have about 12 hours of daylight, so even if you tee off at sunrise I don't think you'd have a chance of getting through the last course.

As long as you're cool just hitting the highlights on the last course, you should be good. I say good choice on doing the Legislator last. I didn't play the Senator, but I heard it is supposed to be really good and I thought the Legislator was good but not especially memorable.
dcrewint
Thanks for the input bagger. Yea, we kinda figured we won't get all the way through. However, when I booked on Tuesday they told us the courses were wide open so far. A little early in the season still and we're risking cool/cold weather. Which might be causing others not to book Spring Break trips. I'm sure it'll fill in, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that people go elsewhere!

The Senator I felt would be a fun one to play since I've never been to a true links style course. Really looking forward to Oxmoor Valley though! Some holes make me think the closest I'll get to Augusta(that and Ross Bridge).
AgLA06
AG
Outside of the opening hole, Judge was my least favorite. If you won't finish all three, play the other two and the first couple and last couple of Judge.
bagger05
AG
quote:
Outside of the opening hole, Judge was my least favorite. If you won't finish all three, play the other two and the first couple and last couple of Judge.
I can totally understand that sentiment.

Four years later, I still remember a lot of the holes from The Judge and I just didn't think that The Legislator was that memorable (we still liked it and had fun).

One thing I will say about The Judge is that you will have a much better time if you are flexible on the tee boxes. It's main defense is water and length (and often both at the same time). Some of the holes were memorable but borderline stupid hard. The shortest tee boxes for the men is 5900 and the next one back is 6500, so there's a good chance that you or someone in your group will have more fun if you are willing to switch it up and move up every once in a while.
dcrewint
Good idea. I'm not against that idea. My buddies and I will do that at High Meadow Ranch at times. Two of our 4some are high handicappers while me and the other guy are 70's-low80's players depending upon who shows up.
bigboykin
AG
Just curious what made you pick Hickory Hills over the two RTJ courses in Mobile? Going down I-65 from Prattville to Gautier will take you right by Magnolia Grove and Point Clear.

I haven't played HH, but my dad is playing a two-day tourney there this weekend. We've played the Mobile RTJ courses a few times, so I'll ask him his opinion too and try to post here next week with his take.

Sounds like an awesome trip!
dcrewint
We were looking for a course that would break up the drive just a bit. Looked at Shell Landing but I pretty much locked the other courses so I didn't argue the final course.

Thanks for asking your dad. It'll be nice to know conditions beforehand.
kwammer
Definitely keep Legislator last at Capitol Hill. Senator is a great test of golf and the Judge has finally grown on me after hating it the first few trips we had.

Oxmoor Valley Ridge is one of my top 3 on the entire trail so enjoy it! Can't say I enjoy the Valley course as much because of the valley part of the course. It does have a few great holes as it drops down into the Valley and works it way back up to the clubhouse.

Montgomery is pretty slow, but we typically end up at the Railyard Brewing Company downtown.

In Birmingham, we usually end up at OnTap Lakeview.
dcrewint
Appreciate it kwammer.
Jeff Schmahl
Your challenge in getting 54 holes in at Capitol Hill will be the amount of daylight. With the difficulty and popularity of the courses, it will probably take 4+ hours to play 18...unless you can get the first time of the day.

Judge is far and away my favorite of the three. The tee shot on #1 is one of the most spectacular you will ever see. (Hit 3-wood or less and pray you hit it straight). Very memorable course that will challenge the best of golfers.

Personally, I liked the Senator next...it is a hybrid of the Judge (water & hills) and Legislator (open links style). It does have a few goofy holes...but still very good.

Legislator has a very open feel but the fescue, artificial mounding, and length still provide a lot of challenge.

Good choice for your trip...three solid courses. Enjoy!

I'm headed to Streamsong in Florida for 90 holes of golf the first three days of April. The resort is only a couple years old but the two courses are rated among the best in Florida and in the top 20 in courses you can play in the U.S. Should be a great trip. Here's their website: http://www.streamsongresort.com/ Brian Barrett, Les Clifton, and Vance Goss, three of the better golfers at Traditions, are making the trip with me.

Now that I live in New York City...I really miss the warm weather Texas golf...and especially my many, many Texas golf buddies.

dcrewint
I hope to make a trip to FL someday as well. FYI Senator is the links style.
bigboykin
AG
Breaking up the trip makes sense.

From Pops regarding Hickory Hills this past weekend:

quote:
Except for Friday's practice round, the weather was great. The course was decent, and pretty open, which I like, but not much grass or grass was dormant. Greens were ok, but pretty bumpy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.