the tiger woods suspension

3,326 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by aggiedent
vwbug
How long do you want to ignore this user?
what does everyone think?

It wouldn't surprise me that the tour allows tiger to use an illegal ball
LeFraud
The GOAT doesn't need a special ball to win. What did he use when he won 3 US amateurs? What about his Masters as a 21 year old? If he is/was using a cheater ball, I'd think he'd be able to get one that finds the fairway, or that finds the bottom of the cup from 10ft out.
Nom de Plume
AG
What suspension? Sounds like a kook got loaded and said some **** on a radio interview he shouldn't.
jackie childs
wouldn't be the first time tiger's balls got him in trouble
Unemployed
AG
quote:
The GOAT doesn't need a special ball to win. What did he use when he won 3 US amateurs? What about his Masters as a 21 year old? If he is/was using a cheater ball, I'd think he'd be able to get one that finds the fairway, or that finds the bottom of the cup from 10ft out.

I don't think Tiger cheated...saying that, you can use the same reasoning for Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez. Those guys were already great before taking steroids.
Furlock Bones
AG
there's enough smoke around Tiger and PEDs and other people associated with PEDs to stop immediately dismissing stuff like this.

remember one of the looniest, shadiest pieces of ****, Canseco, broke the baseball PEDs story wide open.
bagger05
AG
I hadn't heard anything about it until I heard SVP & Ruscillo talking about it when I was at lunch. They closed out the segment saying the dude who made the accusation is backpedaling about as quick as you could imagine, so it sounds like he was just saying stuff that was like, his opinion, man, and didn't think it would get out.
Unemployed
AG
That guy most definitely got contacted by Tiger's lawyers. If I was Tiger, I would still sue his ass.
Corporal Punishment
AG
The reporter sounds like a moron:

quote:
"Everything I said on that radio interview was only my opinion and not based on any first-hand knowledge or facts," Olsen told ESPN. "I want to make a full retraction to everything I said for the entire radio interview, and I apologize to Tiger, Nike, Phil [Mickelson], [commissioner] Tim Finchem and the PGA Tour."
"I'll be looked at as just some crazy f*** nobody making accusations about Tiger," Olsen added.
bagger05
AG
quote:
there's enough smoke around Tiger and PEDs and other people associated with PEDs to stop immediately dismissing stuff like this.

remember one of the looniest, shadiest pieces of ****, Canseco, broke the baseball PEDs story wide open.

I agree with the first part, but I don't think the Canseco comparison is that valid. Canseco didn't just let it slip on a small time radio show, he went all-in in a very public way and I don't remember him ever backing off his claims, ever.

It was a long time ago so maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but these two situations seem pretty different to me.

Don't disagree with the first part, though. I don't think Tiger is a juicer or ever was a juicer, but at this point it wouldn't surprise me if I was wrong.
birdman
I am certain of two things.

1. Tiger used steroids, hormones, or whatever PED he could.
2. This guy is just some blowhard.
bagger05
AG
quote:

You should write a book.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
quote:

I agree with the first part, but I don't think the Canseco comparison is that valid. Canseco didn't just let it slip on a small time radio show, he went all-in in a very public way and I don't remember him ever backing off his claims, ever.

It was a long time ago so maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but these two situations seem pretty different to me.

Don't disagree with the first part, though. I don't think Tiger is a juicer or ever was a juicer, but at this point it wouldn't surprise me if I was wrong.
true, they definitely went about it in different ways. i'm guessing this guy has heard stuff and got shut down by lawyers.

baseball couldn't do anything to Canseco because he had personally witnessed it. they couldn't actually sue him and put him on the stand because the next person on that seat would have be McGwire trying not to perjure himself.

again, these are just guesses. i think i'm just more amazed that their are so many sports fans in general that to this day take umbrage with the thought that their hero could be cheating the game. we have countless examples to no longer be shocked.
bagger05
AG
Especially Tiger fans, right? In 2009 I was really shocked to hear that Tiger was a cheater in the marital sense. After all that saga, there's not much I could find out about the dude that would shock me. So if we were to find out that he was lying and cheating on the golf course then how could that be a shocking revelation? I'm sure there's lots of people who "just couldn't believe it" if we ever found out that was true.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
Especially Tiger fans, right? In 2009 I was really shocked to hear that Tiger was a cheater in the marital sense. After all that saga, there's not much I could find out about the dude that would shock me. So if we were to find out that he was lying and cheating on the golf course then how could that be a shocking revelation? I'm sure there's lots of people who "just couldn't believe it" if we ever found out that was true.
no, not just Tiger fans. all fans. fact is these guys like the fame, the like the money and they have the attitude of winning at nearly any cost. so, they find reasons to justify whatever it is.

i'm just saying no one should be shocked when any athlete comes out as something different than portrayed.

i will add that i'm surprised at how people still defend Tiger to the ends of the earth after what we know about him.
bagger05
AG
Agree completely. The Tiger incident in 2009 kinda taught me my lesson about athletes and celebrities. You don't know these guys. I'm all for wanting to believe in people but there's really no way you can really know who these people are when they go home and close the door.

Which is why I find it amazing that lots of Tiger haters are big Phil Mickelson fans because he's such a great guy. I think Mickelson is probably a great guy, but we don't KNOW who he is.
92TXAG
AG
quote:
quote:

You should write a book.
AgDotCom
quote:
That guy most definitely got contacted by Tiger's lawyers. If I was Tiger, I would still sue his ass.

I don't see Tiger or his handlers suing anyone any time soon.

The last thing they want is discovery, no matter whether innocent / guilty or accused by an idiot / non-idiot.
watty
AG
I'm sorry, can someone give me a quick cliff notes of what this is all about? Somehow I am clueless on this one.
antman8504
AG
http://www.golfwrx.com/285123/tiger-suspended-whistleblower-retracts-apologizes/
cbminers
AG
Makes perfect sense... Nike risks their $84B reputation by supplying TW with illegal equipment and running the risk of being uncovered.

All for what? So Tiger can pound illegal golf balls OB? So Joe Golf Fan can pick one up and turn it over to TMZ to be thoroughly analyzed? Not likely.
elfurioso92
AG
I don't think it would hurt Nike at all to supply Tiger with equipment that doesn't meet tour standards and would bet that they have done so. They can always fall back on "We provided Tiger with tour approved clubs and balls, the non-regulation equipment in question was made for practice and research."

Has he used this type of stuff on tour? I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if lots of big name guys did this kind of thing.
03_Aggie
quote:
Makes perfect sense... Nike risks their $84B reputation by supplying TW with illegal equipment and running the risk of being uncovered.

All for what? So Tiger can pound illegal golf balls OB? So Joe Golf Fan can pick one up and turn it over to TMZ to be thoroughly analyzed? Not likely.
Yeah, Nike would never do anything shady regarding golf balls..

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=100737
cbminers
AG
quote:
quote:

This practice is not exclusive to a certain player and has nothing to do with allowing/promoting the use of illegal equipment in a PGA event. I'm sure the shirts Tiger wears are tailored to fit his body, as well. That doesn't stop Nike from selling the TW branded outfits he wears every time he plays.
cbminers
AG
quote:
I don't think it would hurt Nike at all to supply Tiger with equipment that doesn't meet tour standards and would bet that they have done so. They can always fall back on "We provided Tiger with tour approved clubs and balls, the non-regulation equipment in question was made for practice and research."

Has he used this type of stuff on tour? I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if lots of big name guys did this kind of thing.
There is clearly some truth to the fact that lots of guys put their hands on prototypes that haven't been sanctioned for use. That being said, I don't think the manufacturer's would run the risk of allowing that stuff inside the ropes. There is a lot of commotion made when Phil changes putters 3 times in one week, even more when someone is putting a new driver in play. I just think it would be too heavily scrutinized to get away with it. (Unless the PGA tour is somehow in the know, which I guess can't be altogether dismissed as a possibility)
Unemployed
AG
quote:
quote:

Not even relevant. That's just false advertising.

There's nothing in that article that said Nike provided Tiger with non-conforming golf balls. Nike just got busted for promoting a golf ball that he doesn't even use on the course.
watty
AG
oops... edit... nm
03_Aggie
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not even relevant. That's just false advertising.

There's nothing in that article that said Nike provided Tiger with non-conforming golf balls. Nike just got busted for promoting a golf ball that he doesn't even use on the course.

I never said it had anything to do with creating an illegal golf ball. He brought up reputational risk and I pointed out that Nike has shown to be willing to expose themselves to reputational risk and is has already done so around golf balls it manufactures.
cbminers
AG
In response to '03

I agree that Nike/TW (in golf) and countless other manufacturers and their sponsors would tailor equipment for their guys, regardless of the sport.

Where you lost me is when you implied that the practice of tailoring equipment for players and stretching the truth when it comes to marketing belongs in this conversation. One implies knowingly cheating. The other does not.
Unemployed
AG
quote:
I never said it had anything to do with creating an illegal golf ball. He brought up reputational risk and I pointed out that Nike has shown to be willing to expose themselves to reputational risk and is has already done so around golf balls it manufactures.

Standard operating procedure for these companies. It's like Blake Griffin endorsing Kia Motors. He probably has one hidden in his garage but I doubt he goes cruising around LA in it.
03_Aggie
quote:
quote:
Standard operating procedure for these companies. It's like Blake Griffin endorsing Kia Motors. He probably has one hidden in his garage but I doubt he goes cruising around LA in it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the thread. I don't read the issue the same as you do. This wasn't a case where a tour pro that plays ProV1s shot a commercial endorsing NXT Tours. Nike seemed to knowingly set out on a campaign to pitch the ball as "the ball used by Tiger Woods" when they knew that the actual ball he used is made solely for him and not available to anyone else. To me that is different than the scenarios you are describing (i.e. being paid to endorse a product in general) and was a knowingly shady act.

At the end of the day I was only using it as an example as to why it wouldn't shock me in the least bit if there are/were shady activities occurring. There are millions of dollars in sponsorship and endorsements at stake. I am not naive enough to think people/corporations won't operate in what they would claim are extremely gray areas to protect their investments. That's all.

aggiedent
AG
Why would he want an illegal ball? Unless it self-corrects shots 40 yards offline or can read the players mind on a stubbed chip shot, they would be pointless.
aggiedent
AG
I do wonder if overuse of roids has caused his issue with misfiring glutes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.