World Match Play to Austin in 2016

3,435 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by agsalaska
stick93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Allegedly at Austin Country Club last week of March. I guess they know what they are doing. But weather is still dicey here at that time and that is not a spectator friendly course.

But it will be nice to have the best players in the world pay us a visit.
MarkPro
Could be some truth to this. I believe ACC is in the midst of a renovation right now. Maybe getting it tournament ready?
mpezll
AG
Broke yesterday, projected to be before Shell, after Bay Hill. Starting 2016, but still needs approval from the members.
Edit for correct timeline
http://www.foxsports.com/golf/story/pga-tour-moving-match-play-championships-to-austin-texas-022715
JYDog90
AG
Is that the course on Lake Austin?
CapCity12thMan
AG
Yes right under the 360 bridge...don't think it can accommodate the crowds or traffic but would be awsome if it happens.
ElCheAg
AG
If true, NICE.
stick93
AG
It might also be the very thing needed to kick start the Decker Lake project. That would be a sweet deal it it ever gets off the ground. If they do it right, with its proximity to the airport, it will be a homerun.
booradley
AG
while I'm excited to see an event come to Austin (I live in Georgetown), I'm struggling to see that venue working for a PGA event...

1 - the course is closed right now for renovation. its scheduled to re-open in October, but they're re-doing everything... greens, fairways, bunkers, etc.... I don't see a lot of green grass grown between October and march...
2 - there's only one road in and out (residential street). and its accessed off of 360, which is already prone to lots of traffic
3 - the range is wide, but not long enough for tour pro's. there's a net at the end, but it will be like john daly hitting it over the net at Augusta onto washington road before they built the new range there
4 - I can't see the course accommodating spectators. its not a big piece of land. the holes run close to each other and that's what makes it a great course to walk. and the holes on the back have canyon on one side. I could be wrong here, but its not like a TPC course that's built or mounded for spectators
5 - the members still have to vote. and that's a proud group. when they closed the course for renovation, they had the option of partnering with another course for play (like barton creek or Spanish oaks) but elected not to as they didn't want to owe anyone when they re-opened.

just my 2 cents.
stick93
AG
1. It will be ready when it opens in October. Rest assured the timing was taken into consideration.
2. No argument here other than boatloads of shuttles from ??.
3. I would assume the range is being revamped during the renovation.
4. Biggest issue imo. Once you figure out how to get all of the spectators there, where do you put them?
5. Your guess is as good as mine. I'd have a hard time voting yes after I just got my course back after being closed for almost a year.
aginlakeway
AG
"The official vote by the members will likely come at the end of March."

Good look with that. This story should not have been reported until that vote was taken. I know several members, and they are all voting no.

redsquirrelAG
AG
This would be awesome!
98Ag99Grad
AG
Is this the WGC event or something else?
redsquirrelAG
AG
With the Decker project in mind, is that being proposed with the thought that one or both of those courses would host a PGA event later on?
AgDotCom
My opinion is that, taking the *amount* of spectators out of the equation for the moment, the older, tighter courses are better for fans in attendance.

TPC San Antonio isn't a good spectator course if you want to get close to the action, plus a lot of walking between holes. I've heard Redstone is the similar to SA when it comes to that, but I haven't been yet. I went to the SHO at TPC Woodlands for 12-15 years straight back in the day, not bad at all compared to the new, huge layouts.

Contrast that to Champions when it hosted the Nabisco. You could move to numerous holes with a short walk, and it seemed like you were usually close to the action no matter where it was. I assume Colonial is similar to Champions in that respect.

Agree that the weather could be a factor in late March, and agree that traffic and the sheer number of spectators could be an issue.
LCE
AG
Except you can't take the amount of spectators out of the equation. Older tighter courses are better for the fans, but not when 75,000 people are trying to watch.

I was within 3ft of Phil last year as he hit his approach shot...plenty of places to really watch these guys play up close. Walking is not a problem there.
gravy97
AG
It also seems that the match play events are better suited for spreading the crowds throughout the course than a standard stroke play event... you don't need a huge gallery seating area at 18... b/c the majority of the matches won't make it to 18... And also, with the big names spread out on the course... and not lumped together in marquee pairing groups... would help spread out the crowds

I don't have a good grasp of the crowds on the weekends of these events. But unless Tiger or Rory or Phil make it to the finals... or if you end up with a #1 vs #2 in the world in the finals... you could run into some crowdings... but I guess you limit the number of Sunday tickets to what is managable.... but since you typically have a #7 seed vs a #10 seed... the sunday demands are much less I would think.

I honestly have no idea about the course being proposed... but just a thought.
Kjodie
I dont think the spectators are a big concern. I've watched the WGC alot because i love the match play. If there was more than 15,000 on the course i'd have been surprised. I'll have to look at the numbers, if thats info you can find.
booradley
AG
just had lunch with an ACC member...

he said the biggest concern was the agreement to overseed the course on brand new grass...

he said the members are most concerned with that, but he also is not sure its actually a vote...

he thinks the vote will be a select few that will make sure it goes thru...
redsquirrelAG
AG
Does the Decker project have anything to do with this in the future?
Maroonedinaustin
AG
If ACC does not host is this event dead in the water?

Not in Austin, but what about a course like Cimarron Hills? It's definitely long enough and plenty room for spectators.
el aggie
AG
As for parking, Riverbend Baptist has a lot of space that would be available any day but Sunday, and there are multiple office parks up and down 360 with open garages and lots that would be available on weekends. I'm guessing that's where most of the shuttling could come from.
redsquirrelAG
AG
My father in law told me tonight that would be the most likely 2nd choice. He probably doesn't know **** though.
agsalaska
AG
If I was a member there is no way in hell I would allow that tournament, or any other tournament, to come to my course unless it was guaranteed to be a one off event. Its not worth the hassle.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.